1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

More Influential- Jack White Or John Mayer?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DustyRhodesJr, Aug 10, 2018.

1. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I read an article a year or so ago that said something to the effect that Jack
    White is the last guitar hero, because guitar music is not as popular as it once
    was and the listeners no longer noticed individual guitarists. And Jack was the
    one at the top of the heap when the disinterest in guitar music started to happen.

Then shortly after, I read that John Mayer is the last most influential, mainly
    because of the way he has adjusted and hooked up with the Dead which has
    exposed him to a whole new older audience and made him a performer for all
    ages.

Points to be made for each one-

Which one do you think is the most influential?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Who?

My world barely involves either of them TBH & I'm not kidding.
    I've seen White on SNL & Mayer dated Katy Perry.

I guess I'm not the right demographic.

Oh wait, kids in the park go Yay when they hear me play 7 Nation Army.
    My body is not a wonderland :p

3. Jacobite_Rebellion

Jacobite_Rebellion Member

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

So influential that you spelled his name wrong :D

Jonny G, FiestaRed, lhallam and 16 others like this.
  5. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

White- look how many 2 person bands he has spawned.... whether Little Hurricane, or your local hipster duo. Or the interest in collecting crappy off-brand vintage guitars.

Every project he has been involved with is far more interesting to me than Mayer. I won't deny that Mayer has talent, but inspiration as a guitarist? To whom? And how? I believe he will largely be forgotten when he is gone, and he doesn't go out of his way to be very likeable while he is here.

Technically, Mayer has more talent than White, but in 2018, who really cares?

I just saw Slash with G-n-R a few weeks ago---- with only 40,000 other people. Now there is a guitar hero.

6. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

How do you intend to measure influence?

John Mayer has 3,4m followers on Instagram versus 91,2k for Jack White. John Mayer gets more Hollywood chicks. John Mayer certainly owns more money. John Mayer fills bigger venues. John Mayer looks healthier. John Mayer sells more guitars, Klons, Bluesbreakers and overpriced PRS amps than does Jack White. John Mayer is taller than Jack White (1,91m versus 1,87m). John Mayer has his own strat copy. John Mayer played on Ed Sheeran records.

7. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

I like both of them, but I think Mayer has more influence by far.

I would largely disagree with the article that argues Jack was the last guitar hero too. When The Black Keys came about, they kind of stole the show from White and really seemed to bring a lot of interest back to guitar driven music, as indicated by how successful they were by various metrics (though I wouldn't say Dan Auerbach was the last guitar hero either).

drod1985, buzzp and jrcorp like this.
  8. Nelly

Nelly Member

Nobody outside USA has a clue who John Mayer is. I’ve never heard any of his music on the radio in Europe, couldn’t name one song by him.

The White Stripes were huge in the UK, definitely influenced a lot of people to pick up a guitar.

9. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Bzzzzzt !
    Oh dear..........they are both cool dudes with high public profiles and great careers, both highly influential, I like both of them.
    They both use fuzz, what's not to love ?

lp_bruce likes this.
  10. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Who is Jack White?

eldorado2001 likes this.
  11. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I’m no big fan, but it’s Mayer. Who would call Jack White a “guitar hero”? To me he’s a guy with one hit song that I really don’t care about. People are obsessed with Mayer, for some reason.

12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Jack White and it's not close.

He's a modern day icon, Mayer is a pop star.

Both are supremely talented, but White is far more influential, musically. Dozens of White Stripes rip off bands tried to become mainstream.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    EarleG, scelerat, Uncle Dad and 15 others like this.
  13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

They are both equally influential -

Jack White - he's a beacon for all the self made alternative rockers.
    He doesn't necessarily influence the way people play - he influences the emotion
    people commit to the music.

John Mayer - he's a cross over genius. He is better known among multi
    generations of players - and he's excelled in whatever genre he decides
    to play. He is very inspirational to guitar players who want to excel at their
    craft.

HesNot, WorkinSteamin, nomadh and 8 others like this.
  14. sws1

sws1 Member

I don't hear anyone sounding like John.
    I've heard several bands that aped the white stripes thing.

Playing in a dead band is hardly influential. I can't throw a rock without hitting Dead-inspired players, none of whom got it from John.

On the other hand, if you are the type that follows celebrities and makes decisions based on what that Karsdashians do, then dating Jennifer A gives john the lead.

scotth, Bieling3, Ncp10 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

I enjoy Mayer’s playing much more than Jack White’s, but I think White is much more influential. Mayer is a great player, but what new ground did he ever break? He does a lot of stuff really well, but he never did anything in a way it had never been done before. White played like nobody else ever had and invented a whole new genre in the process. To me, that’s influence. I’ll listen to Mayer anytime and White rarely if ever, but White’s more influential...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    HesNot, shane88, stevemc and 5 others like this.
  16. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Supporting Member

I’m a big fan of both guys.

It’s impossible to compare their influence because they are in completely different camps musically.

I consider Jack as analog and Mayer as digital. :D

Jack is raw. He’s like old school acoustic blues cranked up to 11. He uses the guitar for texture and noise. He’s not about polish. He’s about emotion. He likes it ugly, natural - warts and all. He loves old gear most people considered junk before he became popular: plastic guitars, Sears Amps, etc. He has his own style. His music is more alternative than pop. He’s great at what he does but he’s not a great player.

Mayer is polished - even when he tries to sound raw (if that makes sense). He is heavily influenced by Hendrix and SRV - borrows from both but has his own style. He is also a very good acoustic player. His songwriting appeals more to mainstream pop. He loves gear - old and new - constantly chasing tone. He is arguably, one of the best players to come out in the past 10 years. More people know who he is.

17. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Mayer... he is playing with an iconic band now. That should wrap it all up easy enough.

Deluzion likes this.
  18. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

White no doubt .

shane88, Otter359 and nomadh like this.
  19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I still hear white stripes being played in Guitar Center
    Never hear Mayer...

stripes have good songs
    mayer is a monster player with really really bad top 40 songs

jack white without doubt is way more influential

20. Lamby

Lamby Member

This. They're not even comparable. I would even question the statement that Mayer is a pop star. And I'm a fan of John Mayer. He just doesn't register on an influential scale compared to Jack White.