1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

More Influential- Jack White Or John Mayer?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DustyRhodesJr, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

Jack White exclusively up-picks spastic noise-rock riffs on Airline guitars through Silvertone amps
    John Mayer plays SRV licks on strats through Klons and Dumbles
    who would you expect the majority of TGP to side with

2. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Jack and Meg had some good TV performances

stevemc likes this.
  3. guitarmonkeyguitars

guitarmonkeyguitars Member

It just shows how arrogant some people really are. Cant eat that much for me to puke as the comments show. Well just think about all the other „successfull“ artists who tell that John Mayer influenced them. Ed Sheeran and Shawn Mendes Are both younger gen artists who openly state how much they were influenced by him. And Both reach far more people than all of together. Just saying. Dont be ignorant.
    On the contrary Jack White sure influenced alot of people, no doubt. I could write mass of texts but what about it? Both marked their way. Why even compare and to achieve what?? This is not even a proper discussion. Lol

4. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Sorry to weigh in on such a hot topic. I did not read whole thread and I like talking to myself so here I go. Jack white made rock music interesting and fresh again, however briefly. His primary influences were earlier blues and punk. He pushed these two styles together further than anyone had before. His vocals were memorable. John is a crooner who's influences are more contemporary and popular than Jack. He broke as a pop artist, not in the same genre remotely as JW. He's a talented musical sponge who has gained popularity here for elevating boomer status quo guitar rock styles and adapting them to whatever he feels like. Jacks self made industry of indie roots rock basically gave rock and roll a 5th life... and it's fading fast.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    mobius, bullet6759 and WorkinSteamin like this.
  5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm sorry. I try to respect all views but these are so ignorant. Everyone's entitled to his own views but not his own facts. The dude's not even correct on the gear!

Lucidology likes this.
  6. Wino67

Wino67 Supporting Member

Well that's certainly one possibility. The other is that people who make that claim haven't done enough listening to recognize Mayer's unoriginality. I've listened to all his stuff, as there are many people in my life who've attempted to convert me, most notably my wife. Not buying. Mayer's guitar prowess comes in the package of revisiting the territory previously covered by his heroes. His original material is nicely written and executed pop that to me is utterly forgettable. But hey, to each their own.

theanthonyv and bullet6759 like this.
  7. macula56

macula56 Member

A better question would be who is more influential, Professor Proton or Bill Nye the Science Guy. Both are more interesting than either Jack or John. I wouldn't call either of them a guitar hero. Jack has weird hair and John makes really horrible faces when he sings.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  8. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

9. mannish

mannish Member

I dunno but I think Jack White is awesome, multi-talented have not heard John Mayer except pop snippets so can't comment on influence - I seriously doubt talent wise that he is in the Jack White area cause it's a small area, IMO

stevemc likes this.
  10. Creighton

Creighton Supporting Member

Since this is a comparison, Mayer is an amazing guitarist and great songwriter in his own right, but I'd say Jack White is waaaay more influential and original. The first few White Stripes albums, particularly White Blood Cells and Elephant are in a class of their own as far as modern rock records go. Without Jack there would likely be no Black Keys for example (they deny even knowing about the White Stripes which I think is BS since their debut was released a year after the stripes breakthrough 3rd album from which the songs and videos were being played everywhere).

stevemc likes this.
  11. hop

hop Member

For me it's no question. Jack White.

I haven't given much listening effort to the White Stripes but The Dead Weather and The Raconteurs are some of my favorite albums in the last decade or so, and I dig Lazaretto and Blunderbuss. Kind of bummed I didn't go to see him in Seattle the other day.

John Mayer's clearly skilled but to my ears, the little bit of his solo output that I've heard is overly saccharine waiting room/supermarket background music. That being said, he will always be a hero to me for his work with Dead & Company.

Darkburst likes this.
  12. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

Dude lighten up it's mostly a joke

13. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    The truth is, that hearing about Aretha taking a turn for the worse puts a little perspective on the definition of influence.

massacre, Lucidology and JB_SC like this.
  14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Dude!

15. Otter359

Otter359 Supporting Member

Jack White

It has likely been said in the past 16 pages, but it's my impression that Jack White was the pioneer of a new style within alt-rock. There have been a huge number of bands for whom he paved the way.

I'm a huge John Mayer fan. But, as far as I know, he didn't open up new paths for current guitarists or other musicians to follow. I don't know others that can do or are doing what John Mayer did.

16. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I finally caught zombeavers last night. Mayer was good, definitely puts a spin on things.

17. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

White is MUCH more influential. Brought back the two piece - (future's so bright...), turned Airlines and other quirky guitars from obscure to trendy, totally unique sound and if you've ever seen "It Might Get Loud"... there's a reason why they chose The Edge, Page, and White. ... not Mayer. I have MASSIVE respect for Mayer, but when it comes to innovation and influence - it's White by a mile. If Mayer had never existed, the musical landscape would be much the same. not true for White

Seth L, stevemc and bullet6759 like this.
  18. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Been a while since I've been deleted from a thread.

I was deleted from this thread.

Making fun of concert policy / rules, and having nothing to do music or gear, is not cool - I apologize.

Bieling3 likes this.
  19. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

There’s no question they both have chops
    They’re just different chops imho

20. negative.feedback

negative.feedback Member

Never say you are sorry. You should see what I was going to say and then thought better for the sake of the "sensitive souls" who reside herein.