1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

More Influential- Jack White Or John Mayer?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DustyRhodesJr, Aug 10, 2018.

1. hop

hop Member

Just saw this and it made me think of this thread.

JiveJust and WorkinSteamin like this.
  2. shane88

shane88 Member

jeez just coz someone's more popular don't make them more influential to peeps that actually make music

JW ftw

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Everyone's talking about "influence on guitarists." What about "influence on guitarist's wives?"

Jack White got my wife to change the station.

John Mayer got my wife to attend and dig her first Dead-related concert.

I rest my case!

:)

Wyzard and T92780 like this.
  4. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

they should write a song together, patch things up here.

Jon Silberman likes this.
  5. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I think White has a more distinctive style.

JiveJust likes this.
  6. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Jack White for me, no question.

JiveJust likes this.
  7. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

Jack White had zero influence on me. John Mayer's "Neon" made me want to learn guitar, and I did.

8. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

I would say they are equally influential. But in totally opposite spheres. Jack White is the pied piper and poster boy for indie rock. He has the hits to show for it in any number of incarnations. Seven Nation Army alone would have been enough to cement his stature.

And Mayer was recently elevated to one of the most revered and difficult to fill guitar chairs in all of music. In addition to his Grammys and everything else he’s accomplished in his prolific career...

9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Both men are professional musicians working in the 'Music Business'.
    They are both writing and playing for their 'wallet'.

What you are referring to IMO is that you like Jack Whites songs and playing
    more than you like John Mayer's. Which is like saying you like the Rolling Stones
    more than the Beatles. It's just a preference - as both band wrote so people would
    buy their records and see them on tour.

Wyzard and tribalfusion like this.
  10. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

Posts deleted. NO BASHING.

You can share your opinions, positive or negative, but have a little meat to it, and do so in a respectful manner.

As a community of so called 'musicians' we expect people to be respectful of others (musician or not really, but especially musicians) it seems so odd to me people can't just say something along the lines of 'not my thing, prefer.."X"'.

tribalfusion likes this.
  11. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

I"m going to put my 2 cents in.

One has written a tune that's now competing with 'we will rock you' at sporting events, and even had a ship coming into port come up with a version to blast from the air horns. Carved out an impressive niche and has inspired many.

The other has brought the next generation at least somewhat up to date on guitar again and how important it can be, AND has been chosen by an iconic band to fill the spot of a departed legend.

Both have made an indelible mark on world as a whole...with their guitar.

I respect both, even if I prefer one over the other.

Wyzard and grapeshot like this.
  12. s2y

s2y Member

Jack White. I'm not even a fan. I remember hearing the really raw sound of the White Stipes with a pawn shop sound that made grunge seem overprocessed. I thought it would never catch on. I was wrong.

Mayer could be a little more influential as a guitarist. He has mad chops, but usually focuses on his bread and butter.

JiveJust likes this.
  13. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Disagree. There is a continuum in the music business. One one extreme are the artists who write and/or perform solely with the goal of maximizing their income. There’s no consideration given whatever to what they personally want to play or want to create. On the other extreme are those who put their artistic expression ahead of income. Some from that extreme are successful simply by doing their own thing.

Most fall somewhere in between. While neither of these two men occupy either of the extremes, listening to the music these two men create, and seeing the types of gigs and side projects they choose, to my ear, they occupy very different places on that continuum. Black’s musical endeavors have seemed far less of a corporate commodity to me.

14. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

That can be true of some musicians - they are very mercenary.

My Experience with Mayer is that he is at the point where money
    is not a concern - last I hear he was worth over $35 Million. He treated
    my crew on dozens of shows with respect and was a Prince of a man.

Well first off Black has been in the alt universe since day one - and of the 20 million
    guitar and drum bands or variations of that - he had one thing to differentiate himself
    - he wrote good songs - and one in particular that hit the charts. He was also very
    motivated and forward thinking - such that he has managed to aquire a serious
    bank account - probably close to $40 Million these days.

Mayer has been a exploring soul since he came on the scene - he wrote an album
    of tremendous pop songs - that sold millions to the other side of music that doesn't
    listen to alt music exclusively. Then like most progressive musicians - he embraced change and
    went off in a different direction - more than a few times - to where he is now. Which
    is a highly successful and accomplished guitarist that is sensitive to the people around
    him - and can play any number of styles. You should listen to his work with the
    Dead - his chordal runs and solos where he quotes Garcia note for note smack dab
    in the middle of a song - then takes it further in Garcia's direction but has his stamp
    on the music.

stevemc likes this.
  15. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

The poster boy for indie rock? That's rather dismissive. Judging by your last statement I can tell you're squarely in the Mayer camp which is fine. However let me offer some perspective:

-Jack White has 12 Grammys among the White Stripes, The Raconteurs and his solo work. John Mayer has 7 Grammys
    https://www.grammy.com/grammys/artists/jack-white.
    -One of those Grammys was for producing Loretta Lynn
    -Jack White was the guy that Jimmy Page and the Edge decided to hang out and play guitars with in It might get loud.
    - In 2013 White donated $200,000 to help launch the National Recording Preservation Foundation, a nonprofit established by the U.S. Congress for the purpose of supporting archives, libraries, cultural institutions and others committed to preserving America's radio, music and recorded sound heritage. Here's that link again. https://www.grammy.com/grammys/artists/jack-white
    - Jack White has directly contributed to Vinyl outselling any other physical music media. https://www.freep.com/story/enterta...rd-man-vinyl-record-presses-detroit/98199824/
    -Jack White has 132 Soundtrack credits https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1226421/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1 compared to John Mayer's 59.

I could go on but I don't need to as the evidence I've provided above shows which one of the two is actually prolific.

If you feel that John Mayer is more influential to a certain demographic of guitar player then feel free. The fact is that Jack White is much more influential on the entire musical world and popular culture by a considerable margin.

16. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Half of the time when I go into Guitar Center I see young kids that you'd never guessed were interested in guitars trying their hand at a tune that Jack White wrote. The other half of the time the kids are playing Djent.

17. mikefair

mikefair Member

Jack White. Definitely.

18. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

I did not mean that to be dismissive. It's true that I am a big Mayer fan and not as familiar with Jack White's work beyond 10 or 12 White Stripes songs and a little bit of the solo and "other band" material. But I respect him immensely. Your rundown of his accomplishments is helpful to me.

What I meant was that in my opinion they were pretty much equally influential but in opposite spheres. That's why this thread is so great. It's a really good question.

And I don't think of poster boy as being necessarily a pejorative term. But that may just be me... :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  19. mattjayworker

mattjayworker Member

John Mayer × 1,000,000

20. killer blues

killer blues Member

Mayer is a tunesmith pure and simple. One of my favorite songs by him is his cover of every day I have the blues. He has hits that cross genres. Jack White is a pure artist. If you want to talk about cred, he was part of a round table with Jimmy page and the edge on axs tv. That cat can play and when he does its moving. His favorite tune is by an old blues cat named son house. He spent the show obsessing over recording it and emulating the emotion coming from it.