More Influential- Jack White Or John Mayer?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DustyRhodesJr, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Fair enough. :)

They are both quite accomplished and I'm glad there are some guitar players still getting thru to the masses. :cool:

WorkinSteamin likes this.
  2. SkippyD

SkippyD Member

The only thing I know about Jack White, is he was the guy with the porkpie in the movie with the Edge and Jimmy Page. Never saw or heard him before or after that.
    Meyer I once saw a live video of him playing with a really good backing band of Steve Jordan and Pino.

So if we are speaking who is more influential...I gotta go with Django.

WorkinSteamin likes this.
  3. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

Jack White also had a role in “Cold Mountain”. He was great...

JiveJust likes this.
  4. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Nice sales pitch, I'll take two.

I like how you didn't research Mayer charities and other accomplishments, such as performing and recording tracks with such diversified legends ranging from Tony Bennett, Barbara, Herbie to Clapton, BB, Buddy to I believe Kanye, Frank Ocean, etc.

I also see on IG much more people playing his tunes, etc, but like everything, subjective.

JiveJust likes this.
  5. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Thanks for the great info! I had no idea about his charity work, that's amazing. :aok

I guess my take is; as far as the music listening world as a whole (which seem to care less about guitar players as time goes by) seems to pay much more attention to Jack White than John Mayer. A lot of what Jack plays is attainable to most guitar players. Mayer is more advanced and he may get overlooked. I can think about a dozen Jack White songs and I don't own any of his music or listen to him. I only know of Wonderland and Waiting on the World to Change (which is pretty cool) from John Mayer.

Of course it's all about perspective. I've lived in Austin TX for nearly 20 years, worked at tons of music clubs, countless SXSW, attended Austin City Limits tapings and festivals seen so many great musical acts that I can't count. Now at age 44 I'm going back to college full time to fill my knowledge gaps in recording. It's bizarre being so much older than these kids in the musical classes, most of them have no interest in playing any actual musical instruments. It's really sad to see that. The ones that play guitar will mention Jack White or a singer songwriter that inspired them. No musicians that I know in Austin regardless of genre/style mention John Mayer much but they is always talk about Jack White and his various projects. That being said even though I started on guitar and it's my first love I've been playing lap steel, banjo, mandolin, bass, upright bass and drums for half my musical life. I guess I'm not a "guitar guy" anymore but even my "guitar guy" friends don't talk about John Mayer. So again it's all perspective.

My response to WorkinSteamin was about who is more prolific as a musician. From what I've seen from Jack White (without actively seeking, the guy just seems to be everywhere) he covers more musical genres and plays more instruments than John Mayer. I'll reiterate what I posted to WorkinSteamin, Mayer or White I'm glad young people are interested in guitar because of those guys. I appreciate anyone that inspires young people to play real instruments rather than moving loops, samples and waveforms around in a DAW.

I just realized I gave you another sales pitch. Sorry! :D

WorkinSteamin and T92780 like this.
  6. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Here is a very good cover version from Jack White.

And BLESS the man for helping a living legend get some much deserved exposure on Letterman.

7. JR88

JR88 Member

Fing Garage Rock man? Or whatever the Hell it is...that's more down brownie...down Syndrome or something lol

8. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Trust me, I would LOVE to hate on Jack White but I just can't. He's an ambassador for all these living legends and styles by bringing this attention he is hugely influential and doing the musical world a great service.

9. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

10. JR88

JR88 Member

I Do like Man.. kinda Hippy Garage Rock Stuff man lol

11. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Member

While I don't listen to either, I would have to go with....Jack White on this one.

JiveJust likes this.
  12. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Ok let’s be real.

I’m sure someone has already beat me to it but Les Paul has to be the most influential guitar player ever. Guitar design and recording wouldn’t be where they are without Les Paul.

Also I wonder how many Gibson Les Paul owners are aware that they own a signature guitar model.

13. negative.feedback

negative.feedback Member

I change the station equally fast regardless.

BriSol and JiveJust like this.
  14. Merry Stratmas

Merry Stratmas Member

For me as kid hearing 7 nation on army on the radio for the first time sounded like nothing else I had heard before, did my best to record it on a cassette off the FM. I was introduced to John Meyer when my mom bought a cd. I have lot of respect for both of them but for me personally white is more an inspiration.

TubeStack likes this.
  15. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

A good friend of mine runs a music school for kids age 6-16. My practice space shares walls with one of his rooms. I hear White Stripes *all* *the* *time*. Never heard a John Mayer tune. The kids want to copy Jack White and play his songs. They don't seem to want to do the same for John Mayer.

Anyway, anecdata. I vote Jack White for "more influential," at least among kids that want to play rock.

16. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I remember this one!

27sauce likes this.