More old tubes....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Mar 7, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just got these. Far left in order- is what appears to be an 1 RCA, 2 NOS NIB Yugoslavian GE's, 3 USA made GE's, 1 English made Amperex,! Mullard and 1 ribbed Telefunken. When I bought the NOS NIB GE's I didnt realize they were Yugoslavian! Probably Ei's or something.....well time to try em out.[​IMG]

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

Looks like you're going to have some fun see what sounds the best!

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Check out the Philips etch codes on those tubes to get a better idea of what you've got. The Yugoslavian "GEs" are indeed most certainly old Ei tubes, which were very good - look for an inverted "U" (or semi-circle) with a dot in it to identify the Ei Nis factory origin.

Similarly, the "English made Amperex" can be identified by its etch codes. There's a larger list of factory codes posted here (scroll down).

Looks like you're starting to get quite a collection going, now. I'll pray for you.

- T

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thanks for the info. I played around with them in my JSX and like the Amperex in the V-2 with the what i'll call the 64 RCA's (for lack of a definative answer) I got last week in the other spots. The telefunfen seemed too smooth (almost fizzy) to me,the Yugo GE's were nice but more gain than I need at the monent and too microphonic for the V-1 spot.Good for the other spots though. The USA GE's seemed OK but since Im digging the others Im not giving em a fair chance I think. Its a lot of fun though. BTW-I need the prayers-this is getting expensive! lol!

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

If you're anything like me, I know where you're headed, and its a slippery slope.

Say, those "'64 RCAs" don't happen to have flat cuts on the side of the mica disks, do they? It doesn't appear that they do, from the picture, but its hard to tell. Here's a picture I found, as an example:[​IMG]

As for the true GE 12AX7WA - sorry to say that I've found these have slipped to near the bottom of my NOS list. Mine have less clarity than most others, and they seem to lack any dynamic zip; they feel sticky.

- T

6. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

I've got a GE "JLRV-12AX7WA" made in canada, any idea what i've got? it sounds great in my spitfire, but it's a bit microphonic, i'm gettin by with a telefunken ribbed plate for now, but the ac-30 want's the telefunken back.

the GE also says 67-23 and #10 on it the logo is in red ink

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

No flats. Heres a bigger pic. They sound good though.[​IMG]