More on the Pritchard Jade Dagger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Eric Pritchard heard about my forsale ad of his amp and contacted me and told me about a "chime" upgrade he was now putting as standard in his new amps. I went ahead and sent the amp to him for an upgrade and got it back yesterday. It's simply fantastic. It further blurs the distinction between tubes and solid state. I doubt that I or anyone could tell that this is not a tube amp. With the latest change, it adds the high end sheen and sparkle that you get from a great, '60s tube amp. It also works great with pedals.

Great job by Eric. Anyone who thinks that you can't get this tone out of a SS amp should definitely go hear one of these amps in person.

Jaz

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

Jack,

Any chance of posting some clips of the amp with the mod?

Thanks,
    B

3. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

So you're officially back in the fold? ;)

Rod is out, so it looks like just you and carltonh carry the torch now?

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

Hmm. I might have to send my Sword of Satori in too. If Eric is reading this, are you going to the Dallas Guitar Show? Despite having 4 kids 4 and under now, I'll try to go.

I just got a Weber Impedance Matcher and was able to plug the Pritchard into my 16 ohm 4x12 cab. Wow. As much as I love a combo, I also love the deep sound of a 4x12, and the Pritchard sounds just as great through a 4x12.

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

Jack, maybe a tangent, but it looked like you decided to get rid of your 2x12 of Legend V12s. Did you find speakers you liked better for what you want?
    I'm anxious to hear the new Eminence neodynium guitar speakers. One of those may pull the weight of a Pritchard combo down to 30 lbs.

6. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

If Mr. Pritchard brings an amp or two to Dallas, I'd make the trip from Austin. My only interest is in great sounding amps. Tube or SS, it does not matter to me.

7. landru64

landru64 Member

i am in the fold. i have rod's amp. i got the upgrade, as well as some fixes which unfortunately should have been done before i got it. i've owned this amp for like 2 months but yesterday when i got my chassis back was the first i've really been able to play it. it's really good, especially with the upgrade. before, i felt (as i think zucker did) that it needed to have the crunch or boost on all the time, but now it's a winner one any setting. the vox setting is really very remarkably like a vox. but they're all great. what i really like about it is that sort of an idealized tube amp. it has a quality in the bottom that i find in solid state amps that i prefer... a tightness and resolution. almost no tube amps do i really like in the bottom; that's why i've typically enjoyed the bandwidth limited designs like my several blues pearl amps. but now, i don't feel i have to compromise.

pretty sick stuff. i'm even considering selling this and getting the sword....

i'm going to try to show it around to some of my friends without telling them what's in it... just to screw with them...

hats off especially to eric for being so helpful along the way.

8. scottl

scottl Member

Having Jack, Andrew, and Carlton makes for one mighty big and respectable fold!!!

Seems like I need to try one again!!!

9. steinny

steinny Member

Clips please.

The clips on the Pritchard site are fairly pedestrian sounding.

10. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Amen. What I'd like to hear is each of you TGPers playing your favorite settings. The reports always go something like how the amp out-Fenders a Fender or out-Marshalls a Marshall, etc. Given that there are so many variations on those circuits, I'd like to have some sonic context for those kinds of comparative statements. This has nothing to do with dynamic feel or "tubiness" or any of that kind of superlative that can't be translated in a recorded clip. It's simply a matter of what "flavor" each of the voices leans toward and how adjustable the tone stack for each really is.

There aren't enough users of these things with good experience, and Eric's website, however well-intended, is totally hyperbolic. That's why the burden of proof falls to the you - the experts.

11. jzucker

I will do some clips but note that I am not a Pritchard endorser so it's really not my mission to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the amp is great. Additionally, while others may have made statements per Ben's posting, I don't think I've ever said it out-fenders a fender or out-marshalls a marshall.

Every amp has some unique aspect about it that is possibly fabulous and other aspects that are perhaps less desirable.

My take on the Jade Dagger is that it sounds remarkably similar in character and vibe to a '60s BF fender amp. Wonderfully touch sensitive and quacky and chimey and with the interactiveness normally equated with tube amps.

Frankly, I'm less interested in whether it exactly nails a particular tone and more intersted in whether it can get a large variety of sounds with a large variety of guitars. So far, I'm very impressed. It sounds good with my Archtop with flatwound .012s, my Strat and a TS9, my HR Fusion with light strings and a zendrive as well as my Larrivee Acoustic guitar. The latter is even more remarkable when driving a full range cab (I'm using a EA-CXL-112)

12. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Thank you, Jack. Please accept my apologies for the generalization. {Slowly removes foot from mouth.} Glad the amp is exceeding your expectations again. :)

13. jzucker

I wasn't offended. I was just explaining that it's not a priority for me to do clips to sell eric's amps at this point.

Maybe if he'd put me on his payroll... :)

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I'd love to hear some clips too.

15. scottl

scottl Member

But Jack, you gotta start somewhere. Eric is a small builder now. Show the loyalty and support at this stage and who knows what comes your way when he is the next big thing ;)

Now get recording! LOL

16. landru64

landru64 Member

i suppose scott has a point, but i think clips are useless anyway. i still don't get the whole concept.

nonetheless, i just plugged in my sadowsky nylon string guitar and whew! that's cool! i'm going to use the amp tomorrow for a brutal many-notes rehearsal so we'll put it through its paces, both with an electric and electric acoustic..... if i could really use this amp for so many different purposes, (the jazz gig, the fusion gig, the acoustic type of gig), this would be amazing.

17. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

The topic of clips is really frustrating. We go 'round and 'round on this, and basically everyone is right who says an amp has to be played to be believed.

Still... Do you like David Gilmour's tone? How about that of Jimi Hendrix? Eddie Van Halen? George Benson? Albert Lee? How do you really know you like those sounds? Did you personally play through any of their amps? Oh.... I see. You listened to RECORDINGS of those people. Gee, now it seems so obvious, doesn't it?

18. Blueser

Blueser Member

Ding Ding!!!! This one gets my vote! That said, there are good and bad clips, but I think we can determine the quality for ourselves!

19. carltonh

carltonh Member

A limitation of that is that those famous artist recordings had professionals helping who are specifically trained in the art of recording.

That said, I found an old video clip when someone recorded me playing a few chords at thick high gain with the L voice. It is more compressed that I like to play now, but that's how I wanted it then. It can easily sound more open. It is not a good representation and short relative to file size (5-10 mb?) but if someone wants a copy send me a pm and I'll mail it when I get back to that computer.

The video clip was at an ampfest, where I didn't get to plug in until they already said, "time to pack up and go." No set up time, just turn on, play a few chords, (while someone else happened to have a video camera on) then someone else plugged in for about a minute, and then we packed up...plus my strings were really old (I change em less than once a year) I'm an awful player, etc.

20. scottl

scottl Member

Not really. Clips from guys I know and respect are very helpful. In addition, I have extensive experience playing the Pritchard so I already know how it sounds and feels in person. I'd like to hear it translated into clips.

Truth is I just want Jack to post some new stuff!! LOL!!!!