More ProAnalog Power Driver praise (and Joyride comparison)...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chrissy, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I got my Power Driver recently and have been able to give it a few thorough work outs at gig volume. I've had a Joyride since they first came out too and have used it quite a bit, so here's a quick comparison for those that have asked...

Power Driver

I love the way this is voiced - set with the gain low and just a volume bump there is some good sustain to be had. The feeling of the PD is a nice tight bass and sweet highs. The EQ is rather neat, seeing that the bass knob can add body and fullness to the tone but doesn't muddy things up... that's actually quite a feat I think. I got some beautiful Tele tones out of it going into Seegs' Fargen Dual Classic last night - bridge pickup sounds round and chimey and the neck is just beautiful and sings so well.

The higher gain tones (above 3:00) are nice and dynamic and... well... raw. The low/med stuff really got me at the moment

/13 Joyride

The nice thing about this pedal is the dynamics it has with the guitar volume. Just a slight nudge of the guitar from 10 to 8/9 cleans things up in a nice pristine way. There is a pleasantly spongey feel to the bass strings with this one - haven't played many pedals that felt like this one in that respect. Plenty of gain on tap after 3 o'clock too. Can do a big volume boost with the gain down as well.

The comparison

Similarities - same controls available - gain (which morphs from clean to break up to fuzz-like) bass, treble, volume (with plenty of boost available). Both can sound very varied depending on gain and EQ settings. Similar noise floor... only after 4:00 does it become an issue.

Differences - With the bass and treble set to 12.00 the PD is voiced a bit darker. This can be changed via the treble knob if needed. The treble knob on the PD is voiced such that the highs are very pleasant. Bass strings feel tighter and faster on the PD and saggier on the /13JRide. The Jride cleans up slightly more pristine. The EQ reacts quite differently. More bass on the /13 can get boomy, whereas the PG remains tighter. At higher gain the /13's ripping yet sagging quality is nice to play. The PG seems voiced just great for a band situation - no danger of any "mud" to get in the way.

The pedals, whilst being loosely based on the same pedal are actually quite different. At the moment they are different enough that I'd have no probs keeping both...

Hope this helps :)
    Chris

2. duende

duende Member

Chrissy,

Glad you like the PD. It's my current fave from Scotty... I don't know if you're much of a gooser, but try it out with some other peds... it's incredible.

BTW... have you tried the Dirt Royale yet?? I'm super curious about this one too.

3. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hi Duende!

Thanks for the tip with the goosing - didn't try that yet... will do some experimenting soon. (On that not, did you get a chance to run it at 12v/18v for comparison yet?)

Didn't get to try the Dirt Royale yet... in fact, the one that has my attention is the Boost Royale - sounds like it'll be my thing.

Chris

4. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I've got both a Power Driver and a Dirt Royale w/Cheese on the way... I'm definately going to try goosing the DR with the PD... I was originally going to get the Dual Drive but Scotty advised me to try the Power Driver instead because it goes so well with Marshall styled amps... such as my Germino LoVo Lead 55... I'm so pumped for these two pedals! Scotty is a hell of a nice guy to talk with too, nice long e-mails with lots of information. I'm looking forward to all of his upcoming stuff, especially the Fuzz Royale and the Drive Royale and The Bumble!... and The Maggie and the... and the... and the... :D

-TJK

5. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Thanks for the comparison, Chrissy.
    I've been wondering about these two for a while. Damn...They both sound great to me though. I love "saggy" just about as much as I love nice tight bass. I'll have to give 'em a go some day.
    I hear a lot of folks say that the PD & Joyride get fuzzy at the top end of the gain dial. Do they actually get that "swell" / compression that fuzzes do so well when cranked? In other words, do they chop the attack of the note off (subtly) and then bloom into full volume when you have gain dimed? I'd be really curious about how they react differently in this sense....It might be the quality that drove me to choose one over the other.
    Thanks for the input.

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

+1...the PD could easily be left on all the time as a tone polisher/enhancer...was very Klonlike in tonality but different in feel...great pedal...I'm not as fond of the JR and much prefer the PD...at the top end of the gain range it got quite fuzzy but I liked it better in the lower gain ranges...it added sustain and had a very nice singing quality to it...the eq. section and particulary the mids are voiced just about perfect to my ear...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. duende

duende Member

Ya know.... I've yet to hear Scotty say that it's cool to run it at any other voltages than 9v. So until I hear otherwise, I'm playin it safe.

Boost royale huh? Is it going to be like a PD with Dist??

Thanks

Alex

8. muddy

muddy Member

nah, it's like the fully appointed maserati of treble boosts. aside from a level & gain pot (the gain has the fuzz after 3:00 feature, too!), it's secret lies in the cut/boost pot, which alternately gives you from a glassy marshall/strat clean to the most strident of rangemaster tones on the cut side, while the boost side dials in one of the best fat boosts i've heard in a long time, before revealing (at fully cw) just an extra bit of fuzz & grunt that puts what has now basically become a stellar vintage fuzz without a drop of flub and/or phart!

btw, someone had mentioned buying direct from scotty versus musictoyz; either way, buy with confidence. scotty does the same remarkable work with both; i'd go with whatever you can get your hands on at that particular moment. :cool:

ml

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I can understand you wanting to play safe, but I'm not the sort to put stuff on the internet that isn't from the horses mouth. I got an email from Scotty saying to try it if I wanted a bit more of an airy tone from the PD.

Chris

10. duende

duende Member

I hear ya! :)

I guess I "should" try it out. I'm pretty happy with it the way it is though. Let me know what you find out.

Thnaks

11. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Here’s my follow-up to those questions some of you asked after my comparison of the Power Driver and the Joyride – I did some gig volume testing at the beginning of the week and completely forgot to post it!

Specifically, the question was how similar are the two pedals when the gain is above 03:00 to dimed and whether either or both can get that fuzz like characteristic where your initial note attack gets “swallowed” and then blooms back as you sustain a note.

To answer the second question first: No I didn’t get either pedal to do that specific thing, even with the gain up wild. They both definitely take on a fuzz quality – raw, on the verge of mayhem and generally ballsy for sure but are more immediate in the attack, without that initial attack disappearing.

Here are my thoughts thru the following test rig. Relic Nocaster (stock pickups), Murphy Goldtop with Holmes humbuckers, Evidence Lyric cables, Komet 60 running Svetlana EL34 and Germino 2x12 open back with Scumback SA12H75HP. The K60 was set to both fast and gradual and I went thru different gain settings from just breaking up, to seriously overdriving.

The amount of gain form the circuit is very similar in both units. The noise level on both goes up exponentially once you start to get into the “fuzzy” range on the gain pot (after 03:30ish) and both are similar in the level of hiss at high gain. The PD picked up a bit more radio interference in this test than the JR – just so you understand correctly, I’m talking about gain dimed into an amp that is already crunching nicely. In other settings, both pedals are perfectly fine noise-wise. Also, even backing off the gain “half an hour” on the PS’s gain knob will reduce this noise significantly.

As for the character – the PD comes off a bit more raucous, raw and biting, whilst the JR has a more juicy, fat tone. I know that both pedals have bass and treble eq, but this observation is based on finding settings that give a full but not farty bass and highs that are sweet rather than painful. When set like this, the above characteristics come thru – a question of the mids perhaps?

Clean up on both pedals is good – the rolled back cleans are especially juicy on the JR and a bit tighter and more focussed on the PD. Both are attractive options when rolled off via the guitar – you really could have quite a ripping solo tone set and then still get to a sparkly clean-ish sound via the guitar and your attack.

All in all, I favour the low to medium gain tones from both boxes, but then I’m already spoiled with nice fuzzes (Sun Face, McFuzz, Pink Purple) and treble boosters (Java Boost, Beano) that do the singing lead thing really nicely, so I was looking for a boost/OD sort of implementation and as I said in my initial review, both are way cool for that.

As a side note, this circuit (whether JR or PD) seems to gel very well with the Komet, retaining that “kerranngg” quality and distinction that the amp has and giving either a nice neutral push or adding a good bit of gain still has the amps character shine thru – cool choice!