More proof that Gibson is friggin "dumb"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jim S, Mar 23, 2011.

1. bismark

bismark Member

Yeah, it's also use for suicide mission against ignorant Americans who link anything that's Arabic to terrorism.

:facepalm

2. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

This looks right:

[​IMG]

This looks right (and peekaboo it's korina):

[​IMG]

Heck, even this looks right, with all the pointy bits doing a matchy match:

[​IMG]

But put them all together like THIS? Just ain't kind to the peepers:

[​IMG]

4. Balance

Balance Member

Absolutely right. It's not Gibson bashing to say that the pieces don't work together visually.

5. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

We're not exactly symmetrical, like most natural designs.

Love me some old Cadillacs, but this Dean is pretty fugly.

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Please. If they released this venerable design TODAY folks'd be all over:

The excessive and "bizarre" knob configuration, the orientation, size, and/or placement of the selector, the needlessly frou frou tailpiece design. Maybe even the color of the bridge - why not black wood?

Some folks like the Futura headstock on an LP. Some don't. But the absurd level of aesthetic handwringing in this thread is really just silly. There's no accounting for taste, and these extensive attempts at justifying one's simple dislike for the design come off as so much mental masturbation. I've never seen anything like it on TGP (except, pehaps, with one or two high end strat makers).

Gibson is clearly a lightning rod for excessive peanut gallery conjecture, and is routinely dissed for being 1) too conservative and B) too experimental. Sort of an impossible situation.

7. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Last summer I went on a driving vacation and visited botht eh Gibson 335 factory in Memphis and the Louisville Slugger museum in Lousivilly, KY. I was struck by the production similarities. fWIW, I have and enjoy both Louisville Slugger bats and Gibson guitars and probably sound about as good on either. All this said, the guitar that started this thread looks pretty ugly. So did the original Les Paul recording model in the 70s. I haven't gone through the whole thread but I wonder how many guys said they didn't care how it looked it was all about how it plays and sounds? These guys always say similar things when talking about a team's new uniform, "I don't care if they are pink polka dot as long as they win."

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

Interesting, I see it on TGP and every other forum everyday. Always get a good laugh out of it. Can't take this internutz stuff too seriously.

9. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

10. Gray

Gray Member

Double the necks, double the knobs, double the awesome.

[​IMG]

11. pluto

pluto Member

+1. I will never understand why Fender always gets a pass. And if its simply about money, the Fender custom shop seems to come up with the same crap year after year for the same amount of money.

As far as new designs, I find it hilarious that Collings, PRS etc. can make guitars that look just like Les Pauls, yet no one will say that those companies are bereft of ideas.

12. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

that's awesome.

13. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

The headstock looks like Spock's hand...."live long and prosper"

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

My head hurts now. Thanks! That thing would weigh about 20 pounds if it was ever made.

15. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Agreed. I was overdue for a good rant.

Gotta laugh at a thread where someone requests "clips!" a page or so after one's been posted.
    :horse

16. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I think both companies basically suck today, but Gibson is probably worse. There's really been no new interesting innovations coming out of either company, quality can be an issue at both & their pricing/tired options are driving thousands of customers to smaller builders.

The Road Worn & now this new Pawn Shop series (which I thought was an April Fool's Day joke) are just two examples of the many bad ideas Fender has come up with lately. The Custom Shop stuff from both companies is way overpriced (people that really want these models should just buy them used at a 50% markdown). How or why people pay the prices they do, especially for the Fender Masterbuilt guitars, is beyond me. But, some folks love all this stuff so I maybe it's just me that's crazy.

Gibson, in particular, is a lightning rod for criticism so I don't know why people continually try to fight this on forums especially when they release blatant laughing stock models like this one or the Hendrix Strat. They have horrible leadership today, which in the opinion of many is driving the company's legacy into the ground. That doesn't mean ALL of the guitars they make today suck or anything, but it's bound to draw disdain.

17. WorstBandNameEver

WorstBandNameEver Supporting Member

I think I would feel pretty good if some companies just stuck to what they know, or used to know for that matter. Gibson has a tremendous past with timeless designs. It seems like they should focus more on the classic models (LP, SG, etc) and put their other time into increasing quality vs. cost.

But, also, I'm not the head of a very large company. I honestly have no idea what that would entail and how they stay competitive.

18. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

:mob

19. Armitage

Armitage Member

Fender gets a pass... because no one expects anything out of them. Most of their endorsers don't even play their Sig models (as sold).

20. goldtone

goldtone Member

Maybe they should just copy Strats, superstrats and Tele designs like a lot of other companies do...