More Sheets Of Sound licks...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Ed DeGenaro, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Unburst

Unburst Member

Tight.
    :RoCkIn

2. gimmejava

gimmejava Member

Awesome playing Ed. Which exercise numbers are they?

Thanks,
    Randall

3. Randy

Randy Member

Of all the clips of yours I've listened to Ed, these two are the best tone and playing I've heard. Simply outstanding and they've convinced me I need to get "Sheets of sound". Keep 'em coming!

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

You won't be sorry, best $35 I ever spent.

I've only had the book a couple of weeks and I haven't even scratched the surface, but I can say that it has already had a profound effect on my playing.

5. fyler

fyler Member

+1 !!!!!!!!
    i foresee the book being useful and challenging for years to come. bring on volume2!!

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

4-16-1 and the Benson lick off the Sheets Of Sound 2 preview example on the website.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

8. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

OK, OK, I give up!!

I saw the excerpt, I heard Ed, I got the book, but I swore - I can't start over with my picking. I can't change the way I pick. I'll just fiddle around in the book and steal some great ideas and learn a lot....

Then I saw that video clip of Jack posted above.

I have seen the road to true speed, to Lane-esque fluidity with technical mastery.

I give up. It's to the woodshed. I'll have to give the whole picking thing a try.

9. lhallam

lhallam Member

Tom did you check out the copy I brought to the tonefest?

I had the same picking concerns as you. My problem was that I found myself getting confused in mid-prhase whether to alternate or sweep. Now that I've the concept and technique better, I am finding my "autopilot" knows best what to do and when.

Picking patterns are no longer a concern for me. I don't have the smoothness that you can hear in Ed's and Jack's playing but I'm getting better at it.

10. jzucker

Another data point...I've always had good chops but I've only been working on the sheets of sound approach for a year. I'm finally able to incorporate some of the lines into my playing in a natural way. I think you have to give yourself 6 months to a year to really bring new material or a new approach into your playing.

In terms of sweep picking, I'll never be a total master like Gambale but I feel like I can now phrase in a way that I can choose to make something sound legato by incorporating sweeping, stacatto by incorporating alternate picking or angular by incorporating pick&fingers.

11. lhallam

lhallam Member

Wow Jack, I thought you had been working on this technique for years. I am impressed that you figured all this stuff out in much less time.

What I'm finding hardest to master are:

1) Keeping all notes the same speed and volume
    2) Enunciating each note
    3) Maintaining the same facility on the low strings as the high string
    4) Transition from down to upstrokes without stumbling.

I can do all of them at slow speeds but once I start picking up the tempo any combination of points 1-4 will rear it's ugly head.

I can do the pick & fingers better than the sweeps which I attribute to my classical gtr training. Some of those finger picking licks sound really cool. I'm still waffling on the pinky though. I can't decide to use it or not.

12. jzucker

Hi Lance,

I'm struggling with a lot of the same things. Be patient. You wouldn't believe the progress I've made in a year.

13. Tom Gross

Yeah, and I really appreciated getting to see it.
    That was cool. I'm gonna bring a copy up to SteveK's in case folks haven't seen it. I didn't get to order it till a few weeks ago, now I've got a year's worth of work.

I had the same picking concerns as you. My problem was that I found myself getting confused in mid-prhase whether to alternate or sweep. Now that I've the concept and technique better, I am finding my "autopilot" knows best what to do and when.

Picking patterns are no longer a concern for me. I don't have the smoothness that you can hear in Ed's and Jack's playing but I'm getting better at it.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, now that you put it that way, i've incorporated sweeping into my playing on my own, so I guess I could learn this stuff and throw it in without totally abandoning alternate picking.

14. Tom Gross

Thanks, that's humbling to hear but helps with the perspective.
    Hey, it's gonna be a year from now anyway, I may as well be a better player when it comes!

I remember the great Jack Grassel saying something like "I spent ten years learning how to play 1 thing at a time on guitar, then I spent 10 years learning how to play melody & chords, now I'm working on learning to add a bass line and play 3 things at once. I figure it'll take another 10 years" That blew my mind, but helped opened my eyes to this wonderful endless journey.

15. jzucker

Hi Tom,

I really appreciate it! :)

16. Unburst

Unburst Member

That's exactly what I thought until I spent a few days with the book.
    Turns out Jack's approach to picking is perfectly logical and efficient, much more so than the way I was picking.

I've been playing for 25 years and when I was woodshedding hard, I had chops to burn, but I can play things now that I would have struggled with then.

Incorporating some of Jack's ideas was not that much of a problem, after a few days it started to fit right in because it feels natural to pick that way.

17. 3Sides

3Sides Member

My biggest problem with the picking continues to be the turn around on the major scale. I've always use 3 notes per string, but I pick 5 on the high E when I go from sweeping down to sweeping up. Jack's even number (4) makes more sense, but I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to "un-learn" the old way. I don't feel i can move past the first section untill I can do this.

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

I didn't like the sweeping on the diatonics so I skipped over to the the pentatonics and some other stuff.

I may go back to trying to sweep the diatonics now that I'm getting better at it. Right now I use alternate picking on them.

Man my left-hand hasn't gotten this much work out since the time my right hand was in a cast.

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

the pentatonic stuff is what got me going first as well.