More signature Gibsons? Tweedy and Trucks SG's.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MadFrank, Jan 22, 2012.

1. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I have posted about the Paul Kossoff Les Paul, so here are a couple more that have just caught my eye, and I haven't seen mentioned here yet.

The Jeff Tweedy SG61 with Lyre Blue Mist.

[​IMG]

And the Derek Trucks 50th Anniversary SG

[​IMG]

The Jeff Tweedy SG61 w/ Lyre in Blue Mist (very cool IMO) features ;

Unpainted satin neck. Rosewood fingerboard and 57 Classic pickups. Nice guitar that seems to be in the standard range of Gibson Electrics from it's appointments/spec and it's £1259 (at one dealer) street price. ($1956-approx).

The Trucks 50'th Anniversary SG features;

...are exactly the same! Except that the Lyre is 'modified' in some way, but like the Tweedy, also chrome. Dont know about the 'Unpainted satin neck' though. Retail (again, from one retailer) is approx- £1365. ($2121 - but whether you pay that in the States is another matter).

I actually quite like the Tweedy model. It's around the same price as the 61 RI and apart from the 57's, which I have never thought all that great, I would be happy with one. On the face of it though, it's two or three hundered pounds more than a standard SG, without any apparent upgrades in spec, apart from the Lyra's.

In one way, it really makes me appreciate the lengths that Jhonny Marr has gone to to design his signature Jaguar. However, I haven't played either of these models, so I'm just going on the basic spec I see before me.

2. asintoras

asintoras Member

Beautiful... I was wondering how they did the Trucks model with no routing on the top of the guitar (usually the routing is under the pickguard, but we have no pickguard and no hole on this one).

Maybe they have a bigger routing on the back of the guitar to connect the pickups and all?

3. succor

succor Member

The Tweedy street price is $1699 in the states. I've had one on order for what feels like forever (2-3 months, really).

4. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

There is no routing under the small pickguard SG.

5. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

I have to question the sanity of Gibson's marketing dept. these days. Did they really conclude that there is THAT MUCH of a demand for a ****ing Jeff Tweedy SG? Is Wilco really SO HUGE that he needs a signature model?

6. teleclem

teleclem Member

I dig how the Tweedy looks.

7. succor

succor Member

[​IMG]

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

Someone is jealous :D

Wilco is a pretty big band. They also ****ing rule. There's no reason Tweedy shouldn't have a sig model. And, as far as I can see, it's a great looking guitar too.

9. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

Jeff who??? :munch

Good old Florida Rosewood fingerboard on the Tweedy - guess it's got to be better than Obeche and Broiled Maple. :bonk

Boy did the Feds really screw Gibson all up. :facepalm:thud

On a positive note I'm glad Gibson looks like they put their thinking caps on - not every idea is a home run but every now and then even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

Keep going Gibby!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

A little more information from NAMM.

11. b2sc

b2sc Member

I'm diggin the Tweedy.

The Trucks moddel baffles me as there is no vibrola, only the cover... :dunno

12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Gibson B-Bender?

Interesting development.

13. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I think all of the guitars in the video have some sort of cool factor. Kudos to Gibson on the wide variety of ideas here.

14. asintoras

asintoras Member

Really? My bad... I thought it was like the Explorer.
    I have a 68 SG Special, and the routing is all under the pickguard, so I assumed the small pickguard had it too.

15. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

I agree. Same as the Lou Pallo LP. I'm a fan of his playing with the Les Paul Trio , but...

16. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Agreed, and the whole "50th" anniversary Derek Trucks model is laughable, he plays a 10 year old '61 reissue! Unless I passed through a wormhole and was transported to the year 2042...I don't get it.

17. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

I thought these were part of the SG 50th Anniversary series... but the Tweedy model doesn´t seem to have the magic decal.

I got myself one of the Robby Krieger models yesterday. Kind of an impulse buy but I got a great price and the features are cool. Quite similar to the Tweedy model actually - in this case a gloss neck not a satin one, ´57 classics, Lyre-style vibrato, phase switch and Krieger inspired back plate.

18. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

They are, except that the 50th anniversary was in 2011.

19. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

I should also add that I don´t really understand the Trucks model. The man removes the pickguard but adds the non-functioning Lyre tailpiece. First a nod to function over form, then a nod to form over function.

20. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Derek's SG came with the Lyre, he removed the bar and trem arm but left the cover in place because he likes the look of the Lyre but not the function of it. It really is silly that Gibson saw the need to saw off the trem part of the Lyre and make a "signature" model of this guitar. You can buy your own and do that easily probably for less, and have the exact same guitar that Derek plays, there is nothing special about DT's SG.

As for the Tweedy model, at that price point it seems like a steal, basically its a cheaper version of the Elliot Easton model. I might have to get one of these and ditch the cream plastic in favor of black.