More than one TS-808 pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

HI Guys,

Do any of you have more than one TS clone?
    I was looking for different flavors of OD, and keep bumping into the TS wall.
    Do different TS circuits sound different from one another?
    I have a Jeckyll and hyde, which has a TS-808 side to it.
    Does that mean if I pursue another OD pedal that is TS based, it will be redundant on the board, or are some voiced differently?

Thanks,
    Mass

2. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

I don't think it would be reduntant. Guys like Trey Anastasio use two modded Tube Screamers on the same board. Some are definitely voiced differently from each other but probably share more similarities than differences. It all depends on how you use it. Probably setting one up for low to medium gain with a volume boost and the second as a lead tone. I personally use an MJM Blues Devil and a Xotic BB preamp. The MJM is setup as my low gain overdrive with a volume boost and the Xotic BB Preamp is my medium to high gain rhythm sound. My lead sound is the MJM Blues Devil boosting the Xotic BB and it sounds absolutely killer. If I want even more volume I have an RC booster at the end of the chain. The Klon Centaur is another overdrive that some say is TS based. It runs at 18v internally which makes it a much higher headroom pedal, and helps create a more dynamic, responsive overdrive when boosting an amp. Similar to a TS-808 in sound but much more open and feels much more dynamic. There are a lot of pedals based on the TS design but they all excel and different things. You can go for the stock TS-808 sound, or go for a more specialized pedal based on your needs. It is very common to have more than one TS based pedal on the board.:)

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks....

That's nice to hear.
    I have the chance to get a General Guitar Gadgets Standard Overdrive ,
    but was wondering if it would be redundant next to the J&H's TS circuit.
    Peace,
    Mass

4. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

The GGG Standard Overdrive I think would sound amazing with the Jeckyll and Hyde. The Standard Overdrive is also extremely versatile. Great choice.

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Excellent news! :AOK
    Thanks,
    Mass

6. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have two tube screamer varients, a Analogman modded Boss sd-1 and a TC Gaugernig DGTM. That works well for me.

7. nedsteve

nedsteve Member

8. halted

halted Silver Supporting Member

This is my Maxon (Ibanez) POD1. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Nowhere near as sexy-looking as the Rodenberg, but it's a damn sexy beast, let me tell ya. You can have all your TS flavors in one pedal that's just slightly bigger than a Boss pedal. All analog signal path, despite the way it looks.

Rare. If you can find one, get it. You won't be disappointed.

[​IMG]

9. nickreynolds

nickreynolds Member

I've played with the J&H pedal, doesn't seem to sound as good as an AnalogMan modded TS-9DX. What settings and amp do you use?

10. drolling

drolling Member

I've seen Brian Setzer use two TS-9s back-to-back stacked.

And if you into collecting overdrives, it's pretty hard NOT to end up w/a few TS varants kicking around the studio..

I've got many players favorite 808 clone, the MJM BluesDevil, on my board, and I picked up a Reverend DriveTrain II recently that also does a good job w/TS tones..

I'm sure I've got some others, but I'd have to dig around...

11. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I change the settings on the EQ's but set the gain generally to about 9:00. I let my fuzz take it from there.
    I play a Strat w/ CS 69's through a Plexi (1959 SLP)

I like both sides of the J&H.
    I drive my Fulltone '69 and KR Gypsy fuzz with them.
    I am looking for another OD for a different flavor, and have the hance to pick up a GGG STD. Overdrive through a trade.

Thanks and peace,
    Mass

12. Jack

Jack Member

I've got a Menatone Fish Factory with a Red Snapper and a Blue Collar- 2 different TS circuits that sound very different and are fairly stackable at some settings. It's not a waste to have 2 TS's, because they can be voiced differently or set differently.

13. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

My 808 is sitting on the shelf. On my board is a MJM Blues Devil, a London Fuzz, and a Bad Monkey.

CT.

14. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I used to have one of these. It compresses a lot. I had too many TS derivatives, so I sold it to a friend of mine. He absolutely loves his. It's his ONLY dirt box. I didn't need the two channels together, and I kept my Landgraff DO. Here a link to a THREAD with a little video of it.

15. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

You really should try the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. They are great deals used and pretty darn affordable new. And it's hard to beat better customer service than VL.

Also, the MI Audio Blues Boy Deluxe is an insanely good ts808 spin off. So much more going on with this box for not a lot of coinage. Tone options up the wazoo!

And, finally, the Fulltone Fulldrive II is still my ts808-esque pedal to beat. A great tube tone with all kinds of clipping options built right in. These pedals are on so many boards for a big reason - they sound awesome!

16. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Right now I've got a Sparkledrive, a BluesBoyDeluxe, a Jekyll&Hyde and a Direct Drive. All TS-ish and all different at the same time.

17. flicker180

flicker180 Member

I've actually got Jack's Fish Factory now and use it with a Red Snapper 4 knob PCB version....(i guess that means i've got 3 versions of a TS?)...definitely defines the character of my amp.

dave

18. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

Cool video guitardude5.

One one downside - now I want one.

19. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

Thanks for the kind words. There is one in the emporium right now for sale for $165.