"more" Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steeeve, Jan 5, 2006.

1. steeeve

steeeve Member

Timmy has enabled me to narrow down my needs. I use him for lower gain, and would like more of the same for higher gain/crunch rhythm. I basically need to boost the Timmy.

I am thinking of pedals like the Luxury Drive, Uno Mos. The only problem is that I don't want the boosted sound much louder (hardly any) just more saturated. Something simple and priced right.

Anyone boosting the Timmy like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

sounds like you may want a Tim, the Timmy is basically the 1st stage of the Tim.

3. steeeve

steeeve Member

I thought about ordering another Timmy for maximum flexibility, but the wait is what is preventing that. Of course, I might be able to make do with what I have until I get it.

I'm thinking a few more mids and a dash of compression might be nice for the boosted sound. I don't want to butcher the sound that the Timmy is already making, though. Maybe a TS style is actually the ticket. I need a Tube Screamer that isn't so Tube Screamerish.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

at $89.95 you absolutely can NOT go wrong with a MI Audio Blues Pro.
    This thing is just incredible. I haven't got (apparently I'm the only one) a Tim or Timmy, but I just got this Blues Pro and it is hands down the best I have played. I was pretty happy with my Jekyll & Hyde before this, but this is like another world. And just as you did...I have a TS-9, but I wanted something more. Also it is damned inexpensive, and I got it pretty quickly ordered direct from MÌ Audio.

I am seriously thinking about ordering a second one just to make sure I never have to be without it. It's THAT good!

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Maybe an Rc or Ac Booster. The Blues Pro. is another good choice to consider.

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've had success with a lot of pedals before the Timmy set to low gain...Rev DTII, Zendrive, Gainster, etc...Timmy just seems to soak up anything well.
    Greg

7. steeeve

steeeve Member

The Blues Pro is on my list, but I remember reading something about a bass boost. Can someone tell me how much of a bass boost I can expect? I would use my Nobels, as I love everything about it, except for the bass boost, which is too much for this application.

I could dial some out with the Timmy, but I want to keep the sound of the Timmy by himself intact.

Thanks again dudes.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Read what Jeak had to say about it:
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=105671

His post was a deciding factor in me trying it out. I have to say, I haven't yet played at real volumes (can hardly wait til Sunday when I am jamming with some folks, and Monday to hear it in context with my band, songs I am used to the sound of) but I am just amazed.

I think Jeak mentions, small bass boost, also treble though...to be honest I don't hear the bass boost, this is NOT a TS type sound, yet it is gainy (more than I will ever need...I still haven't had the gain higher than 12 o'clock) but here'e the main thing for me...I am getting a sense now for sound that just sound good in the basement versus sounds that I THINK will cut through nicely, give more presence while not getting shrill or fighting with the bass, drums, or even rythm guitar. I think I hear it with this pedal. It has a wide range...sometimes with pedals like these I like to get them almost the same as the straight sound, but just a touch...and then play for a while with it on, then turn it off...in some pedals this makes me realize they are constricting my sound, but in this one it is like someone let the air out of my balloons.

But I can crank the gain and get for one example. the sound Clapton has on "Reconsider Baby" in "From the Cradle", or SRV sounds, Hendrix (at least to my ears)...it just makes me sound and play better.

I'm not trying to sell you on it at all. I just am so damned happy with it myself, and since you sounded like me as far as not wanting "a TS-9 sound", and since this seems to be a pacifier pedal while waiting for the one you ordered, and since the price is about the lowest there is for one of these...I thought I'd just mention it.

Whatever you get, let us know how it works out!

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I got ahead of myself. I was meaning to write, I am getting a sense about sounds that sound great alone in the basement BUT that get lost in the mix versus tones that sound great in the basement AND cut nicely through the mix.

Also, something about this pedal gives my guitar this...it's weird to say, but "sassy" or almost humorous sound in there...a happy sound really. The bite, when I want it...it is very touch sensitive.

10. steeeve

steeeve Member

Yeah, I think I'll try the Blues Pro. It's too good a deal not to. I definitely want some bite. Another problem is that I use singles and humbuckers. I'm trying to get to where I can just use my Strat and Tele and leave the humbuckers at home for gigs with this band.

I don't mind a bit of a bass boost with the bridge pup. The neck pup is where I start running into problems. This is where TS style pedals really shine to me. I gained a lot of mileage with my other little $100 pedal (Timmy) so maybe I'll have the same luck with the Blues Pro.

11. stratofied

stratofied Member

Yep, I agree. :AOK

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've been using a lot of pedals to push the Timmy and it seems to like them all. That said, the ones that made the short list for my pedalboard were:
    Barber Burn Unit-saturated leads
    Sansamp-Marshallesque
    Fulldrive II-maximum TS flexibility
    Dynaross-increases sustain without changing volume
    Klon-this is a killer combination-Klon for boost/low gain, Timmy for mid-gain, then something like the BU for high gain.

In the end for a Vox amp the best chain goes Dynaross-FDII-Burn Unit-Timmy...

13. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I did the same thing and bought the Blues Pro because It was a good deal, and I've been so surprised on how good it sounded. And there is not a better deal out there. The bass boost is not that much, and it only just keeps the bass that you already have, but the bass does get tighter when turning the gain up, so it works well with the neck pickup.. As a matter of fact I use it with the neck more than with the bridge. I love the Blues Pro.

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Paul C may have more detail to add but two Timmys is not going to be the same as one Tim. The Timmy is like the first stage of the Tim with a bit more gain. And there is a pull boost and some additional tone shaping there in the Tim, so my take is that Timmy + Timmy Does Not = Tim.

Jon

15. drolling

drolling Member

OK, OK. Just ordered a BluesPro.

I am totally, completely, irrecoverablely blown away by Timmy. I haven't heard a boost/lo-gain/EQ pedal as good as Timmy at ANY price.

..But I trust you guys and haven't been steered wrong yet. The new board I've put together based on TGP recommendations has effectively retired everything but the guitars & amps. I'm even using strings I discovered here.

Getting back to the question at hand, I'd order a Tim if I was you. Just ordered one myself last night (along w/another Timmy which I will use w/the dip switches in the 'up' position). In the grand scheme of things, a few months wait isn't unreasonable. I played guitar for 20 years before I got a good one...

16. steeeve

steeeve Member

Good point drolling. I waited like 20 years for a pedal like Timmy. I could wait a little longer for another one :)

Maybe I should have gotten a Tim. My theory was that if I eventually had two Timmy's I could put them in different spots. Funny thing is now that I think I want them side by side. However, I have a strange suspicion that running one Timmy with the dips down into another Timmy with the dips up might be a cool combo.

58lespaulman - That's good to know about the neck pup thing. The bass tightening is certainly a good thing. I don't use crazy gain, but I use enough for the bass response to be problematic at times. This is good to know.

The rhythm sounds have been the biggest challenge for me. Lead tones seem easier to get. Well, they seem easier to settle on at least.

17. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Plus 1

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

all good suggestions...

also you mentioned wanting some bite ~~ a little fuzz push might be in order...
    like a Hellbilly I know is a great feeder for Timmy also a Hotcake could do some of that - both would still have some dynamics too and not get oversaturated...... both are pretty locash too

19. erksin

erksin Member

Hellbilly + Timmy = WOO HOO!!!

The BEST higher gain tones I've ever had - turns my clean and jazzy Gibson Falcon amp into a raging treble-boosted Marshall. LOVE this combo!

20. steeeve

steeeve Member

Okay, I'm getting the Hellbilly. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm getting the Blues Pro also. Then, maybe I can sell everything else. Well, actually, I probably need to sell everything else first. I'm so fickle, though. I'll probably regret selling them in a week.

I've tried a FD2, ODR-1, Mojo Fuzz, TBIAC, and a Mini Mos into the Timmy. They actually all sound pretty damn good in their own ways, but I think I can get closer. The Mojo into the Timmy kicks arse, but the Hellbilly seems like such a great bang for the buck being so versatile and all.

I'm afraid the Hellbilly's gonna give me such a kick ass lead tone that I'll still be on my crunch rhythm quest.