More versatile: Fender Jazz or Precision Bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by blood5150, Mar 4, 2008.

1. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Im gonna be picking up one of these soon, for home recording and light gigging. Which one can cover the most styles?

Just an FYI, I am 1st and foremost a guitar player and this will be my 1st bass, so......

Let me know what you guys think.

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I've been considering one of these two for a while and spoken with many players. Played each one several times as well. The general concensus seems to be that the JB is the more versatile with its 2 pickups......but I like that punchy sound of the PB better anyway! In the right hands though (that is, not mine), either would be as versatile as one needs IMO.

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

J's more versatile, imo.

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

5. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

AaeCee has it right imo. The J-bass is more "versatile", but if I had to have only one, I'd go for a Precision. And a Precision with a PJ pickup configuration really is the best of both worlds.

/rick

6. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Jazz...Did I say JAZZ?

Yes, Jazz, you can go from rear pup rolled off blippity burp Jaco-ness to front pup bass up boom. Not a P sound, but close.

Plus as a geetar player, you may find the 1.5 inch jazz neck width more comfy, rather than the 1 and 5/8's or 1 3/4's of most P's.

Passive or active is also a big decision here, for me, in Fender land.

and those Fender Precision Deluxes with the P/J are cool. They are active.

Its the new Duff Somebody artist P/J model that is passive, can't remember if the Tony Franklin is or not (the fretted one).

7. blood5150

blood5150 Member

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

The Jazz.

The Jazz with the bridge pickup rolled off will get you a passable P sound, the P will always be a P.

9. blood5150

blood5150 Member

bumped for some more opinions....

10. dkbmusic

dkbmusic Member

Absolutely, without a doubt the Jazz is the most versatile bass between the two. There is a reason over 80% of all basses are similar to the Jazz... I love a good P bass (I'm going to have one built for me), but if I just had to have one, no doubt it would be the J.

Another way to put it: If you have to ask, then get a J. :)

11. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

if I had to have one bass it would be a jazz...
    the neck is more comfortable to me than a precision.

tonally much more to be had. and if you snap or pop this is the bass for that.

depends on what youre doing though... most rock guys would probably opt for a P bass though.

a PJ pickup configuration , with a jazz neck on a P bass body would be perfect for me...

I even like a humbucker in the bridge and a jazz in the neck position..
    again wide open territory...

I do find a plain ole P bass limiting though.

12. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

A Pbass has only one sound, but it's a good one. For some, it's all you really need. If I had to, I could play nothing but a Pbass ever again, and be fine with that.

One thing that I've found that is common to Jazz basses; they easily get lost in the mix in a live situation. Most J's I've tried have this characteristic. Every once in awhile you run into a "special" one that does cut well. I found one, and that's what I play mostly these days. But in my experience these are the exception and not the rule.

/rick

13. Thor

Thor Member

I would agree with several of the above posters and say that if you want a single work-horse that covers a lot of ground, look very strongly at a PJ. The more comfortable J style neck. The P body shape that can be more safely set on the ground and not fall over, The P pick up for that P-bass sound and a J pickup at the bridge for the growl/edge/bite that you just can't dial in with a standard P.

That being said, if my only two options were a P or a J - I'd go with a Jazz bass.

Cheers,

Edward

14. Thor

Thor Member

But wait, I guess that the best TGP response would be to get one of each! ;)

15. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

A very common variation, and one of my fave combos.

16. blood5150

blood5150 Member

i just picked up one of these today.....with the combo or P-bass and jazz pickups it gives me the best of both worlds...

[​IMG]

17. Knobby

Knobby Member

I gotta vote Jazz as well. You can almost get a Jazz to sound like a P, but you can't get a P to sound like a J.

That all being said, a nice round P into a good rig is a wonderful thing. :AOK

18. modulusrules

modulusrules Member

You should by a PEE bass like mine.
    [​IMG]
    Since those are hard to come by, I would recommend a Modulus VJ. Just using your fingers, you can change the tone of the bass dramatically. Plus it's the only bass I ever recommend to ppl to record straight into a board.

19. cptnhook

cptnhook Member

Another thing to consider is playability. Precisions generally have thicker necks, and as a guitarist you might find a jazz with its thinner neck to be more comfortable. (think LP vs. strat)

I agree that jazzes are tonally more versatile due to the 2-pu configuration. But P's have an equally happening tone, just different.

20. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I had one of those, then realized I was never using the J pickup. Now I have an American Vintage '62 P-bass Reissue and life is very good.