more visible fingerboard inlay dots?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by telechuck, Aug 29, 2008.

1. telechuck

telechuck Supporting Member

I've got a friend that just got a new strat with a rosewood fingerboard & abalone fingerboard inlays but claims he can't see them when playing in a club. He's used to looking down and seeing MOP or black dots on maple. Aside from changing them out, which he won't do, has anybody got any ideas of how to lighten or make the inlays more visible? I used to put white-out on my vintage clay dot side markers and it worked but definately a temporary fix.

2. highrise

highrise Member

EDIT www.FretFX.com

google fretlight

edit: not it...sorry...those are guitars for sale...I thought that was the name of a led sticker that you put on the side of the neck. There's a battery pack behind the headstock...they're on ebay all the time

found em....UP^^

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Anybody handle a guitar so equipped and can comment on how they feel and work?

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Glow in the dark removable stickers.
    If you can find some good removable sticker paper you could paint them with this Glow in the Dark paint that is supposed to glow for 12 hours. Cut the stickers into small dots and put them over the inlays. Removable stickers should be able to be removed without leaving any residue.

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

5. telechuck

telechuck Supporting Member

That's an idea I'll pass along. Anyone else?

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Take it to a luthier and have Pearl dots installed. I don't think it would be terribly expensive at all. Or have larger than stock like 3mm pearl dots installed on the side of the neck to replace the originals.
    That is more work than you were asking for, but would be the best looking and longest lasting. At least get an estimate, because this really is a very easy job to have done.