Morgaine LP -- alternative to JG?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by CharlieS, Jul 30, 2006.

1. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Picked this up last week from fellow TGPer Sam Cannon. It's a Morgaine Beauty, and what a guitar! Absolutely the best neck tone I've ever had out of any guitar. I sold my last historic LP the day after this arrived, and it was the best historic I had ever owned or played. Jorg Tandler builds these, and I understand that he uses old-growth mahogany, BRW boards, and old Michigan maple tops. I'd like to A/B with a JG Bluesmaster, because I have a hunch they will be similarly stellar. The tone resembles something I've only gotten out of 50s LPs: tremendous clarity, fatness, warmth, sparkle.... I could go on and on.:dude

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Congrats CharlieS,

I have a Morgaine Beauty on order and it should be finished in october. While I have never played a Gustavsson and certainly never played your new Beauty, I think I *do* know what you have there. These guitars are the best LP-style axes I ever had the pleasure to play. When I played Jorg´s personal guitar I knew within seconds that this is something really different. He promised he would build me a guitar which will be clearly better than his because he made some mistakes in the making. Well, I still would have taken his guitar because it was *so* good. Again, congrats on a GREAT guitar.

And back to your your thread´s title: Yes, I strongly believe that a Morgaine Beauty is an alternative to a JG or a real 50s Les Paul. These guitars have *it*!

3. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I hope October arrives soon! It's funny... as soon as I started playing unplugged, I knew that it was something special. Heck, I knew that as soon as I opened the case!

4. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Joerg Tandler is definitely a phenomenon!
    A couple of years ago in a shop in Mainz , Germany, Joerg took three different Telecasters ( Fender , Squier and another copy) , tappped the wooden parts, listened carefully and assembled one new guitar from those parts, that would soundwise knock you off your feet...!!!!

5. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Charlie, does yours have the two piece back. I've played two of these, an aged goldtop and a cherry burst. The cherry burst was great sounding in an LP sorta way.

6. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Charlie, as soon as my JG shows up, we'll hook up at Mark's for a tone-fest.

7. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Kingsley, you're on! It ought to be fun.

Mark, it's a one-piece back. We did a gig last week which was recorded for a live CD, and the guitar sounded great.

8. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Morgaines are amazing. I frequently play an Austin Rocket at a local shop (Tone Merchants) for chunks of time & I MUST have it someday! Firebird style body, tele neck, bridge bucker, feels like a vintage guitar, sounds unlike anything I've ever played - in a good way. Congrats you owners & play the crap outta them. :AOK

9. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

I played Jörg Tandler's own "lester" at the MusikMesse. I don't care about any mistakes (where??) here may have been... it was relic'd in the sweetest way and had Tone to die for.

I'll ask my boss if he's willing to swap an upcoming hoobie for a Morgaine :D ... I'm just curious to see his face, LOL

(actually they're friends - he'd probably say "let's try" or something...).

JJ

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I've been gassing for a Morgaine but .. just like JG out of my price range .. would be interesting to see a comparison so keep us posted on that!

11. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Yeah, I´d love to hear how they compare too.

Btw, over here in Germany, where Morgaines are made, they are actually a little cheaper than a new Gibson R9.

12. Curly

Curly Member

Charlie,

Sam is a good friend of mine for many years. We usually get together for some gear tryouts when I'm up his way.

I know he loves those Morgaines, so I'm sure you got a good one.

enjoy

13. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Thanks. Sam certainly came through for me. I'm surprised that there isn't more of a buzz over the Morgaines here.

I'll be sure to report back once kingsleyd gets his Bluesmaster. I've handled another of Johan's guitars which was first-rate in all areas.

14. lbw

lbw Member

What pickups are in it?

15. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Jorg Tandler usually prefers Fralins in all his models, custom-wind to his specs by Lindy. But since he is running a one-man custom shop you can get pretty much everything you want.

16. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Right now, I'm running some PAF repros wound by Mike Turk. They'll probably stay put.

17. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Paul, you always have to bring matters right to the point, huh?! :BEER

18. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

I've played a Morgaine LP-style at Tone Merchants, and I was quite surprised. I'm not usually a Lester guy, but that was a sweet guitar!

19. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I was absolutely ok with the 12 month wait for my new Morgaine. All of a sudden I want the guitar NOW and not in october! Thank you very, very much guys. :mad:

faded cherry sunburst, AAAA flamed Michigan maple, one piece mahogony back and neck, aaaaah....

20. xroads

xroads Member

Guys,
    this thread has just made me buy one. I hate this board...I'll report more when it's here.