• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Morgan Abbey vs Vox AC15

Jeremy A

Hey everyone!

So I LOVE the sound of a Vox AC15 top boost channel at the edge of break up. How comparable is the Abbey to an AC15? I know it's based off the top boost of a Vox, but is it much quieter? I usually mic my amps wherever I play. I play in church mostly. Does the Abbey break up too fast like the Vox Ac4tv?

And how well does it take pedals? I plan on setting it to the edge of breakup and then hitting it with a fuzz and using my guitar's volume to get anywhere from overdrive to fuzz.

Would the Abbey suit me?

theonlychrisj

The only experience I've had with an Abbey is with a friend that has 3 60s copper panel ac30's, so needless to say, he preferred the vox's.

But I will say that even though I'm not a TB guy, the TB channel on my ac15hw is really quite nice. And it's not quite as pricey as the Morgan.

samuelson

I have an Abbey and it's maybe my favorite amp. I have three Morgans among the 25 amps I collect and I play that Abbey maybe more than any one of them. Very reasonable volume, very smooth gain sound like an vox. I wish I knew how to explain it better. mine has an ASW speaker in the cab. But a celestion blue sounds great too.

antbosca

I play an Abbey as my main amp. It's a head through a cab with Joe's suggested Celestion G12H-30. I've played a AC15s quite a bit too. I like both. The AC15 MAY be SLIGHTLY louder, but there is not a significant difference. The Abbey is nothing like an AC4 in terms of headroom or volume, it is very comparable to the AC15.

It takes pedals like a dream, if anything much better than the AC15. The Abbey is a very detailed, strong sounding amp, a little like a Matchless Spitfire, but not as bright.

I plan on setting it to the edge of breakup and then hitting it with a fuzz and using my guitar's volume to get anywhere from overdrive to fuzz.

That's pretty much what I do, except with an OD pedal. I think you will love the response you get from this amp. A good AC15 is good too, but I think the Abbey wins on clarity, detail, and subtle variation of clean and dirty tones.

J-Walk

I recently bought a 10 watt Abbey combo with an ASW Elegante speaker in it and it does the Vox TB thing in spades. It has plenty of headroom and is loud for a 10 watter, but can still break up at reasonable volumes. It takes pedals better than a Vox, IMO. The edge of breakup sound on it is unbelievably huge for just 10 watts. It is extremely flexible and powerful for it's class, and sounds BIG. Both are great amps, but I'll stick with my Abbey hands down.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom