Morgan AC 20 DLX owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sugarlou, Apr 16, 2016.

1. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Looking at power scaling amps for a low volume gig I have.

Looking at the Suhr Badger as well. The Badger has a loop. The Morgan doesn't .

How does the Morgan sound powered low?

Does the amp sound good with pedals in front with the gain up or does it get cranky?

2. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

The power scaling works better than the power scaling on any other power-scaled amp that I've tried. Better than the power scaling on the Badger -- at least according to my not-so-great memory (I had a Badger briefly quite a few years ago).

In general the AC20 Deluxe is a great-sounding amp that has the virtue of covering a lot of range gain-wise. I'm probably going to sell mine for one particular reason: when overdriven, I don't love the bass response with power chords, as it doesn't stay as tight as I'd like. It doesn't seem to bother a lot of people, and the bass stays tighter if you get most of your gain from pedals rather than the amp's pre-amp itself. If I had infinite resources, I'd keep it. Who knows: maybe I'll get another one some day.

As far as pedals, it takes them quite well in my opinion.

3. sugarlou

Good points.

Do you have a combo or head?

4. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I have an AC20 Dlx head and cab (1x12 w/Gold). I use a lot of various pedals in front of the amp, and it takes them like a champ. I love that amp. If you buy one though, buy it from a dealer who has it in stock. Don't do a custom direct order.

Oh, and I don't use the power scaling at all, so I can't comment on that. I'd actually prefer that amp to not have it at all, and just be a straight up NMV amp.

5. sugarlou

ohhh...Im looking for power scaling experiences...anyone else comment?

6. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i used to own one, it works great, but it confused me at first. the lower you turn down the power scaling, it makes the amp dirtier. once you understand that it is easier to use.

i use matchless amps now, and i also use pedals for dirt, or to push the amp harder, but have always run effects out front, never had an issue with the effects .