Morgan AC20 combo speaker advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by marshall2553, Jul 12, 2019.

1. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

I picked up an AC20 combo with a G12H Creamback a few weeks ago. I had factored in the cost of dropping in an Alnico speaker like a Gold just based on my previous experience with 75W Creambacks. But so far I have no complaints with the speaker in this amp. This is my first AC style amp though and I've never played through an Alnico Gold, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. If you've tried both, would you say a Gold would be a significant improvement?

2. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I have a Gold in my AC20 Deluxe. It came stock with a Blue (which blew within a few months). The Gold sounds awesome. I think one of the new Celestion Ruby speakers would sound pretty great too.

3. quietmind

quietmind Member

I have a gold in mine but havent been completely satisfied with it. I acquired a Morgan Cab with the G12H and was able to run through that and actually was surprised at how much I liked it. It is subjective but I dont think it would be a “significant” improvement like you’re hoping for. Joe was always vocal that he thought the G12H sounded the best. I like the idea of an Alnico matched with a Vox style circuit but havent actually made any changes officialy.

4. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

I think I’ll hold off then. It’s not so much that i don’t like the G12H as I just have it in my head that this amp should have an Alnico in it.

5. ishootcanon

ishootcanon Member

I have a creamback in mine, and I've owned several vox amps with alnicos. I actually really like the creamback though, it's very smooth. I don't know if i could justify spending the money on an alnico for the sonic difference.