Morgan alternatives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingrazor, Sep 16, 2016.

1. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

In light of the multiple threads talking about his business practices I wanted to ask if there are any good alternatives that aren't outrageously expensive. In this case I'm asking more about the SW and RCA amps, not the ACs. I think Bad Cat and Matchless cover the AC territory nicely.

I really love the clean tone on the SW22 and RCA35. The drive tone is fine, nothing to write home about IMO, but those cleans are real nice.

2. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Member

I was seriously considering a Morgan RCA35 or RV35 until I read on several forums about his business practices and customer service. I suppose that if I wanted a nice, well built, clean amplifier I would look at a Reeves again, because I know firsthand the workmanship is excellent as well as Bill's customer service practices.

3. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Reeves look like good amps but I remember them sounding quite a bit different than the RCA35 or SW22

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

TopHat has been covering the AC territory for 20 years. And Mike Zaite have been doing it for ages too. In fact, when the original Matchless shut its doors, Phil Jamison went to work for Brian Gerhard at TopHat. I have a TH signed by Phil, by the way.

There are some great companies that are utterly solid - that have been around ages, provide great products and great customer service that are not "builders du jour". BTW - eah of the builders I mentioned have been covering American tones for ages and ages - and do it very well too.

Douglas858 likes this.
  5. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Member

Perhaps so, I never heard any audio clips of the SW22.

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Good night. How many are there not?!

7. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

If there are so many, care to name a few?

8. michael.e

It would be more rewarding and mean more if you did the leg work on your own. It really is not that hard.

Toowoombaus likes this.
  9. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

If I already knew where to find that information, why would I be asking here? The whole reason I started this thread was so that people who know of amps that fit the description in the OP could chime in. Your two posts add nothing to the discussion. Maybe lay off the snark and post something constructive and on topic for a change.

Dr.Lee and moosewayne like this.
  10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Like moths to flames.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Bruno UG30

Dr Z

Matchless

Bad Cat

Top Hot

and about a gazillion others.

12. michael.e

Posting something meaningful is telling the op the value of research other than asking for answers to be given away. WAY too many amps fit the description in the op. From Bogner to Z Amps, they are out there. Going to depend on what works for you.

13. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

OP said he was looking at the Morgan amps that were not AC-type amps.

kingrazor likes this.
  14. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Where would someone research what amps are similar to other amps? I so far haven't found any such place with that kind of information.

I mean, it's easy to find vintage Fender clones, Vox AC clones and Marshall clones. Everyone and their Grandma does a clone of one or more of those amps.

The SW 22 is supposed to be a Steel String Singer, an amp I hadn't even heard of until I found the Morgan SW. The RCA35 is "American" voiced. I haven't really heard any amps that sound like either of those from other companies. Searches related to the RCA35 don't appear to bring up anything except Morgan. I haven't found an equivalent. I haven't found any SSS clones other than the Morgan that are what I'd consider reasonably priced.

In the OP I said I don't care about his AC clones, as I think Bad Cat makes the best AC style amp out there, IMO.

Thus, I come here to a place full of people that have had experiences with many more amps and manufacturers than I have asking if they know of any brands in particular that sound like these amps. I already knew about Bad Cat, Matchless and Dr Z, hadn't heard of TopHat.

15. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

The OP mentions that he is interested in the RCA and SW Morgans which, as I understand, are not AC style amps.

kingrazor likes this.
  16. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Ceriatone offers a SSS-style amp. No experience with it but lots of people seem to be happy with Ceriatone Amps in general. And it is very likely to be the lowest priced option you will find.

Darkburst and kingrazor like this.
  17. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

It appears they do! Didn't know that. They appear to make more than one amp that I'm interested in.

Terry Hayes likes this.
  18. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Terry,

Re-read my post. Engage mind before engaging pen.

19. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

20. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Carr
    BadCat
    Milkman
    Vintage Sound

Just to name a few off the top of my head.