Morgan alternatives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingrazor, Sep 16, 2016.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

A 22w SSS? As I understand it the SSS is sorta like a Dual Showman. And you can't really do that with 22 watts. That'd be closer to a Fender Deluxe (non-reverb). Both the Dual Showman and the Deluxe are easily found and much cheaper than the Morgan. And will be rock solid if you give them a little tune-up.

A 35w "american voice" amp is pretty straight forward. That's gonna be essentially a Vibrolux Reverb. And that's pretty easy to find as well...

Crowder likes this.
  2. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

But what card carrying TGP member would be caught dead with an amp that says Fender on it post silver face era?

3. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I know... it's just awful: someone asking about alternatives to specific models of amps on a forum about guitar amps. The horror!

Terry Hayes likes this.
  4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, all 3 of those amps would be SF. Although the Vibroking might be another great choice and it's almost new! By my standards at least...

5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

Ceriatone SSS would be a great choice if that's the specific tone you want. I have a Ceriatone amp and it's very high quality.

Two Rock Studio Pro/Plus could get you in that neighborhood
    Milkman Mini Pedal Steel is supposed to be very similar tone-wise to a SSS according to Lance Keltner.

Komet Songwriter has the best clean tones I've ever heard. If you want tight thumping low end that still has that great clarity and shimmering top end it's the amp for you. I thought it sounded better playing Lenny than my SSS clone did at the time.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

DR Z Route 66, DR Z Therapy, Andrews Spectraverb, Fuchs, ........

BTW I'm sure its been stated but a SSS was a 100 watt amp based on a Fender.

There are so many amps out there why anyone would want a Morgan or any of those other Egnater built amps with their bad tactics is mind boggling.

communarchy likes this.
  7. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I think the Dumble SSS are more than 100 watts

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Let me check mine and I will get right back to you.

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Yes, I agree about not wanting to buy a Morgan. That is why the OP was looking for alternatives because he had heard about all the issues.

10. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Member

Dont hesitate to buy a ceriatone Nik is one great guy! guitaramps.com is his agent in the US and you get a nice discount I just ordered a C-wreck.

11. Marshal28

Marshal28 Member

Both amps are ultimately modeled after Fender amps with big iron. I own a Morgan PR12 (Princeton inspired) and I purchased it used from the emporium even after reading about his business practices and poor customer support. I did this because I liked his no frills build strategy and I was buying a used amp (and all used amps come with the same baggage/difficulties to a certain extent).

Focus on builders making amps that are based on big iron Fenders.
    Dr. Z's Route 66
    Carr's Rambler or Impala
    Various Two Rocks
    Louis Electric's Deltone

Best of luck!

12. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

DISCLAIMER, NOTE SIGNATURE...

As Red Planet mentioned, a Dr. Z Therapy would fit the bill. A little gain-ier than a RT 66 with the integration of a master volume with smooth gain and glassy cleans.

13. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

The Dr. Zs sound good but they have too much preamp gain for my tastes. I like to be able to turn up the volume above 9 o clock without getting any breakup with my humbucker guitar.

playon likes this.
  14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Interesting I've never played a Z that overdrives that soon on the dial and I have played a few. That being said you can stick a lower gain tube in V1 and fix that immediately. a 12AU7 will turn shred into crystal clear. One of my favorite Dr Z is a Maz 38 head a friend of mine has, that dang thing sounds good. Its had a ruff ride to. He got it used and it came out of Ohio, it had been modded at a shop in Ohio (a disgusting mod). I un-modded it replaced the tubes and the screen grid resistors and that thing spanks. Not trying to convince you a Z, I just don't understand why you would start your search at morgan. I would be looking for anything opposite of a morgan YMMV.

15. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

One of the best values on the used market is a Goodsell, especially if you can find a simple early Super 17.

Mine is a 1x12 with only Gain, Tone and Volume controls, but it has lasted longer with me than any Morgan, Vow HW, Hayseed, Dr. Z, etc. ever did. It's just a pure, solid tone machine that sounds great clean, breaking up or wailing. When they come up for sale you can grab one for $900-1100, depending on whether they have reverb or tremolo.

W/r/t Morgans I have owned lots: DAG 15, AC20 Deluxe, 30/800, MV23, and possibly something I'm forgetting. They're fine amps but I don't think they're all that special.

s360guitarist likes this.
  16. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Well, my search didn't really start with a Morgan actually. It started with a Marshall JMP-era Super Bass and went from there. Old Marshalls have my favorite cleans of all (so far), and I'm looking for an amp that can compete to see if that really is my end-all be-all or if there's something better out there.

2nd place so far is easily the Fender Twin Reverb. It really was just going to be between those two, but then I heard some Morgans and AC30s and Matchless amps and thought maybe there's some others. The thing with AC30s and the like though is they have a little too much bite on the top end for me. Same goes for Matchless, Dr Z, Bad Cat for the most part except for some specific models.

17. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

A 35w "american voice" amp is pretty straight forward. That's gonna be essentially a Vibrolux Reverb. And that's pretty easy to find as well...

Eh I completely disagree here. The break up on the Morgan 35 is absolutely glorious and you don't have to peel the paint off the walls and rip your ear drums to get it.

Good recs in here so far. I love my SW22. Nothing really sounds like it.