Morgan Amps Nightmare

sector9

To All:

I am the Vice President of Boutique Amps Distribution based in Los Angeles.

We are a family owned company that has been in business for more than 30 years. We PRIDE ourselves in honest business dealings and have earned a solid reputation as such. Like all the brands we represent Joe Morgan has entered into a long term deal with our company.

In the last few months we have worked with everyone that was owed gear by Joe and resolved all, including the gentlemen that was just refunded yesterday. The only ones not resolved are the ones we did not know about. If ANYONE is still owed an amp from Joe Morgan, please email me at avi@boutiqueampsdistribution.com We will work with Joe IMMEDIATELY and have this resolved.

We sincerely apologize to anyone that has had to wait for their gear FAR too long.

I think you better end that long term deal.

bobotwt

Point being singling out "P&W" players is ridiculous. TGP itself is a enabler - for good or bad - and does just as much harm or good as any other group.

They can't outright insult their worldview here without getting in trouble, so they find other ways to take potshots at them, knowing they can't defend themselves or rebut arguments without "breaking" the rules. And I agree with you. There are those in all groups that are fanboys and defend bad behavior out of loyalty, but there are also those in those same groups who try to be more fair than that.

Josh

John 14:6

This group of players and consumers is known for their epic bandwagoning and nearly blind devotion to certain types and brands of gear. Much more than any other identifiable cross section on the internet, which I believe is what is being called out here.
P&W players are all over the map when it comes to gear and styles. I use a Friedman Smallbox at church. There is actually a lack of commonality in gear from the guys I see playing at church. Lincoln Brewster uses modellers. P&W is not like a lot of genres where most guys use the same gear. I have never seen anyone using a Morgan amp at church or elsewhere.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
They can't outright insult their worldview here without getting in trouble, so they find other ways to take potshots at them, knowing they can't defend themselves or rebut arguments without "breaking" the rules. And I agree with you. There are those in all groups that are fanboys and defend bad behavior out of loyalty, but there are also those in those same groups who try to be more fair than that.

Josh

It has nothing to do with a worldview. No one is making them into a victim. It has everything to do with the bandwagon threads and gear choices amongst a certain group of players.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
P&W players are all over the map when it comes to gear and styles. I use a Friedman Smallbox at church. There is actually a lack of commonality in gear from the guys I see playing at church. Lincoln Brewster uses modellers. P&W is not like a lot of genres where most guys use the same gear. I have never seen anyone using a Morgan amp at church or elsewhere.

So Duesenberg, Gretsch, Taylor, Morgan, Strymon and sounding like hillsong or The Edge dont dominate every P&W pedal or gear thread on this forum? It may be diverse in the real world like any other genre, but on these pages it can reach the point of ad nauseum.

Good choice on the Smallbox though.

John 14:6

So Duesenberg, Gretsch, Taylor, Morgan, Strymon and sounding like hillsong or The Edge dont dominate every P&W pedal or gear thread on this forum? It may be diverse in the real world like any other genre, but on these pages it can reach the point of ad nauseum.

Good choice on the Smallbox though.
Taylor acoustics are fairly common and Strymon pedals are popular too. I see them everywhere and not just in churches. I see a lot of Fender Strats and Teles in churches, but again they are everywhere. I have been playing P&W for years and have only seen a few Gretsches. I have never seen a Morgan or a Duesenberg anywhere. Guys in famous bands like Hillsong may buy rare or oddball gear, but most players do not. Out of the four guys at my church who handle electric guitar duties there is none of the gear you mentioned other than one Strymon Timeline. We all have various delay pedals, but only one guy owns a Strymon.

I do however want to add another delay pedal to my board for more options and I am leaning towards the Timeline to go along with my TC Flashback X4 and MXR Carbon Copy. I do see a lot of Taylor acoustics if I go to a Calvary Chapel for some reason.:D

Last edited:

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
Taylor acoustics are fairly common and Strymon pedals are popular too. I see them everywhere and not just in churches. I see a lot of Fender Strats and Teles in churches, but again they are everywhere. I have been playing P&W for years and have only seen a few Gretsches. I have never seen a Morgan or a Duesenberg anywhere. Guys in famous bands like Hillsong may buy rare or oddball gear, but most players do not. Out of the four guys at my church who handle electric guitar duties there is none of the gear you mentioned other than one Strymon Timeline. We all have various delay pedals, but only one guy owns a Strymon.

I do however want to add another delay pedal to my board for more options and I am leaning towards the Timeline to go along with my TC Flashback X4 and MXR Carbon Copy.

Once again im not accusing everyone in the real world who plays p&w music of falling into this category, anecdotaly your scenario doesnt meet the criteria, but I am saying that on tgp where guys are bandwagoning these builders who may or may not screw their customers it does contribute to the cycle of builders being in business when they probably shouldnt be. Many builders intentionally target the p&w internet community for their blind devotion and willingness to buy expensive gear...see BadCat, TMG etc. For many builders its a bona fide business plan

Torren61

Seems like this thread is going off in a different direction. It'd be nice if it went back to the point of Morgan and the people he wronged and his offering to make things right. Right? So he and his distributor are announcing they will square up with anyone who hasn't gotten what they ordered. That's good news if you were still waiting for your amp. Let's see if they live up to those statements.

Phletch

I'm sure threads like these make them more than a little worried.
For good reason. I just Googled "morgan amps review" and the top result was a TGP thread. I then Googled "morgan amps customer service" and the top result was Morgan's website warranty page. The second result, however, was the TGP thread "Feeling Extremely Let Down by Joe Morgan and His poor Customer Service" along with this thread nested in with other TGP customer service nightmare threads and one "good" customer service thread.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
In Nashville, Morgan Amps are extremely popular on country stages. You'll find a surprising number of them out there. At this point the Morgan brand has grown well beyond the P&W scene. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Furthermore, there was a point in time, believe it or not, when Morgan was good about repairs and customer service. My former band mate had to have a repair done on an AC20 that Joe paid shipping both ways and had the repair done very quickly. We were nobodies, so no preferential treatment. I just hope for everyone's sake that Morgan gets their things in order, because in the early days, they were a company worth rooting for.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
Look, the folks in the P&W scene can be pretty bandwagon'ish. No doubt at all. I play in church a couple times a month and that is probably enough for me to get grooped in with those folks. That said, I have to take offense to some of the assumptions made here.

I play a MIM Tele into a fd2, a dd20, and a tuner. From there I run it backstage to a Weber Blue Pup loaded Vox Pathfinder...is that the expensive sheep following rig that was made reference to?

Do your research into how vocal I have been in the Morgan, t1m, etc. threads against these folks...these guys end up fogetting the 'thou shalt not steal' rule. C'mon, that's one of the 10 biggies folks!

This thread is officially derailed. ;) Morgan stole, said he's sorry, and is trying to make things right. We'll see what happens.

Ash Telecaster

Gold Supporting Member
Unless I'm mistaken you're responding to a comment from ten posts ago. From what I'm reading the thread is mostly on topic.

Last edited:

Ash Telecaster

Gold Supporting Member
For whatever value my experience as a former potential customer may bring I will illustrate my boutique amp purchase decision journey.

I frequent TGP and TDPRI. I have always owned fairly common amps, Twin, Haze, Blues Jr, AC15, Express, etc. Honestly I have used them to good effect. I'm not so much unhappy as I am curious regarding all the talk of boutique amps. I drank the cool-aid and decided that I will spend the money to get something better. I heard someone use the term "forever amp." It's a one time deal for me. I want the choice to be right and am willing to spend more money to get that spectacular amp.

Since my ac15 is my favorite amp I felt it was wise to look at Vox inspired amps. I also wanted more clean volume than the ac15 for stage use and that lead me to the ac40. The small foot print, simple but attractive design, Vox inspired, great warranty, power scaling, and best of class in design, build, and construction, made the AC40 seemed like the perfect choice. It was expensive but seemed worth it so I started saving.

Along the way I ran across many threads complaining about customer service. At first I gave it a pass as I realized they formed a relationship with Sweetwater and figured that it had become problematic meeting the volume demand. Still as time went on and I got closer I kept running across threads like this. So I started looking for potential alternatives. Not totally sold off the Morgan but figured it would be smart to look around.

There are many amps that are more expensive than Morgan however there are also amps that do the same thing or more and are significantly less. So I started seeking evidence to support the extra cost. I ran across an electronics repair site where the tech said they used pretty much common electronics. Nothing much to brag about from a high end components perspective. Maybe those off the shelf parts are the perfect parts for the amp but it's value compared to it's price dropped significantly for me and it made the competitors products all the more attractive.

So that is the story of a guy who was scraping together penny's to get a Morgan to a guy who has found attractive alternatives at a lower price. I hold no animosity towards Morgan and hope they correct their course and put together a business model that brings them much success and to that end I take the time to write this post.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom