Morgan JS12 Vs 3rd Power Wooley Coast Spanky MKII?

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone compared the JS12 to the Wooley Coats Spanky MK II, if so which do you prefer?

Thanks!

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I have not played the Morgan but I own a Spanky MKII. It is a phenomenal amp. It gets plenty loud with solid clean headroom for a 15-20 watt amp. The Eminence GA-SC64 is a great speaker and with some (A)NOS tubes in V1 & V2, the Spanky MKII is brilliant. The Mids control really helps with dialing in some Tweed-ish dirt or for thickening up the Blackface-ish cleans. The Hybrid Master is very versatile and allows you to get some great preamp gain tones at lower volume levels. The Mids & Hybrid Master really make this amp flexible. With single coils guitars, the Spanky MKII is only capable of low gain overdrive/pushed/dirty tones. But with humbuckers, it definitely starts to break up more.

The reverb is also really nice as it is very subtle up until 12:00, then it gets splashier, but still nowhere near what my '65 PRRI could do on 4. When I compared the Spanky MKII to my '65 PRRI (with a GA10-SC64), the core tones were very similar, as the Spanky MKII could be dialed in to sound just like the Princeton. When pushed into overdrive, the Spanky was smoother & less spikey than the PRRI. The PRRI did have tighter bass with the 10" speaker, but the Spanky MKII definitely has a fuller, wider spread due to the 12" speaker.

Overall I think that the Wooly Coats Spanky MKII is a phenomenal amp. It fully satisfied my "Princeton on steroids" amp search. I think this amp is vastly underrated and am surprised that more TGPers haven't gravitated toward it.

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the reply. I have been leaning towards the Wooley Coats but still would like to hear from the PR12 and JS12 guys.
I have not played the Morgan but I own a Spanky MKII. It is a phenomenal amp. It gets plenty loud with solid clean headroom for a 15-20 watt amp. The Eminence GA-SC64 is a great speaker and with some (A)NOS tubes in V1 & V2, the Spanky MKII is brilliant. The Mids control really helps with dialing in some Tweed-ish dirt or for thickening up the Blackface-ish cleans. The Hybrid Master is very versatile and allows you to get some great preamp gain tones at lower volume levels. The Mids & Hybrid Master really make this amp flexible. With single coils guitars, the Spanky MKII is only capable of low gain overdrive/pushed/dirty tones. But with humbuckers, it definitely starts to break up more.

The reverb is also really nice as it is very subtle up until 12:00, then it gets splashier, but still nowhere near what my '65 PRRI could do on 4. When I compared the Spanky MKII to my '65 PRRI (with a GA10-SC64), the core tones were very similar, as the Spanky MKII could be dialed in to sound just like the Princeton. When pushed into overdrive, the Spanky was smoother & less spikey than the PRRI. The PRRI did have tighter bass with the 10" speaker, but the Spanky MKII definitely has a fuller, wider spread due to the 12" speaker.

Overall I think that the Wooly Coats Spanky MKII is a phenomenal amp. It fully satisfied my "Princeton on steroids" amp search. I think this amp is vastly underrated and am surprised that more TGPers haven't gravitated toward it.

MACS93EG

Dembec! Can you elaborate on your take on the overall vibe and tone of the Morgan JS12! I was blown away
with the Morgan PR12 combo and like a dummy I didn't take the opportunity to play the JS12 combo that the
dealer/store that I was at had at the time! I'm going to go back to the store and play thru the JS12 and see
if I prefer it over the PR12! I've hear a great demo of the Morgan JS12 by Shawn Tubbs that really has me
thinking that I might even like the JS12 more than the PR12! The one thing that I did hear in the PR12 that
really got my attention was the amount of clean headroom available! Definitely the most clean headroom I've
heard to date from any 2-6V6 blackface style amp and the 3 spring all tube tank reverb with the dwell control
is outstanding! Did you try out the Morgan PR12 along with the JS12 before you chose to go with the JS12? I
am wondering if the Mid Boost switch is effective at thickening up the clean tone of the JS12 at lower volume
levels?

Mac

Trending Topics

Top Bottom