Morgan Monroe Vs. Blueridge

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Ditch Gator, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

Well...There you go.:dude
    If you have tried one, or the other, or both, it would be interesting to hear your takes on them. Stuff like the features you liked or didn't. Tones you liked or didn't. You know...Stuff like that.:cool:
    The reason I ask is that I have heard the HYPE about them but very little discussion from the buyer who has played, owned or even had the chance to A/B them.
    I would sure like to A/B them myself. However, there are none around for me to do so!:jo
    Have you ever bought a guitar based on someone elses opinion of it, even if you've never known them personally?:eek:
    I just might have to depending on how this thread works out!
    But that's OK, I DO trust some of the folks around here and welcome their opinions, because I do take the time to listen to what they had to say about other things that I just happened to agree with. Or perhaps really just sounded and felt true..:):YinYang
    They haven't steered me wrong yet. Guess I'm lucky that way.:)

2. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

Hmmmm.
    I guess that I am on the fringe of discovery here.:dude

Perhaps not enough folks out there have heard, played or A/B'd them yet.:)

Could be that this thread might explode into a great number of people trying to find these brands of guitars as soon as they can and play them and dig up this old thread (or start their own:puh) and expound upon the merits or lack there of right here for the rest of us to drink up and try to keep the bubbles of G.A.S. from rippling through our hearts and minds? :)

Ya think?:NUTS

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

All the Blueridge`s I`ve owned or played have been fantastic instruments. Especially the Pre War series. The other brand I`ve never heard of.

4. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Hey Ditch,

I have a Blueridge BR-160 and love it. I did change the bridge pins to ebony to mellow the highs a bit. The only thing I wish is that the neck was a bit more meaty or maybe had a V like a Clapton Martin. The neck is more like a Taylor. But for a $500 guitar (new on Ebay) how can I complain. It hangs with real Martins very well. They do sound a little better sometimes, but not super dramatic.

I have never tried a Morgan Monroe, but I have heard good things. I am very intrigued because they offer a V-neck. I plan to purchase their OM sized instrument, the M-30 to get a feel for them. I don't plan to replace my Blueridge and I would like a smaller bodied guitar for a different type of tone.

Here is a video I found on youtube where a guy compares the Blueridge I have and a Morgan Monroe dread. I think you will agree that the Blueridge sounds better, but he does note that the Blueridge is a bit older and the MM is brand new.

In comparison, I think my Blueridge has a little more bottom end than his and with the ebony bridge pins the top is mellower....more like an older guitar would mellow. It keeps getting better sounding all the time, so that is good.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwEjPkUFNZQ

5. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

That is what I'm talking about.:D
    Thank you for that kevmin.
    You know, I listened to the you tube without knowing which guitar was 1st or 2nd and afterwards I was thinking "Oh NO! I hope that the MM wasn't first! I like the sound of the second one better!":roll
    So the 2nd time of course I read what the man was doing and listened harder the second time around and am still glad about the MM being the 2nd guitar being played!:AOK
    To my ears it has more of the bass that I'm after and I'm sure that the aging will round out the trebles and mids more.:YinYang
    The unisons were better as well as the bass response and it looked to me that it was easier for him to play.:D
    Of course I have no idea if that is true or not. But to me, it looked like he was geting better action with his thumb and fingers. YMMV.

Does your Blueridge have the truss rod adjustment?
    I believe that the whole idea behind this pre-war specs was not to include the truss rod at all.
    I hope that the guitars have suitably dried neck woods so that twisting and excessive relief wont be a problem down the short line.:(
    They sure do intrest me though.
    So much so that I am expecting a MM, M-15"D" (I wanted the "V" but took what they had at a GREAT price), spruce top with mahogany neck, back and sides, arriving at my door before the week is up.:D
    I was also looking at the MVS-45. It was a bit cheaper, but came with a case. Also it is the sloped shoulder model and has "Stainless Steel Frets":eek:
    I've always wanted to try those out.:AOK
    I just hate having to have refrets done.:BITCH

So keep this thread going as I will be checking back and maybe offering some onesided views with MM content.:D

6. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of both on that clip. But to my ear (with my computer speakers) the Blueridge seemed to have a more balanced tone with more body to the midrange and treble. The MM seemed to be thinner in the mids and highs, but the bass sounded fuller and more good-Martinesque. As I said before, I think my BR has better bass response than the guitar in the clip.

I bet either guitar would be a great buy! I am dying to try a Morgan Monroe!

7. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I forgot to mention, my BR has an adjustable trussrod. Also, my guitar has a beautiful all black ebony fretboard. Some of the newer BR's I have seen on the Internet have rosewood fingerboards. I am not sure when they made that change. I bought my guitar about 4 years ago.

8. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

I had seen the Blueridge models in my local Mom and Pop store in Santa Fe,NM. when I lived there and almost reached for one to try out (every time I was in there:jo), but it never happened for some reason.
    I have to wonder though. :eek:
    They both came to my attention pretty much at the same period of time.
    Do you think they might be made in the same factory in Chine?:rolleyes:

9. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I was wondering the same thing about them being sister products somehow. I played another Chinese guitar at a music store a few years ago that felt and sounded very similar to my Blueridge. I think it might have been an Alvarez.

10. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

I forgot to thank you for that clip kevmin. :)
    Glad you knew about it.
    I have saved it.
    The computer speakers, the room, the house your room is in, the humidity and temperature...It's what makes the world go round.:dude
    I'd be happy to hear how the bass response of your Blueridge sounds.
    I, for one, do not have this capability (yet) to record something that you all might be able to listen to.
    Perhaps you do?
    Just to share with you some music that was performed on another thread here at TGP.
    Just go to Eastman Tuxedo Anyone?
    It is where a couple of us compare our Tuxes. A great guitar.:RoCkIn
    Just go to the last page (or read the whole thread) and listen to Jimfog. Yeah. Good stuff for sure!

11. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I have a Blueridge BR-143CE, an mahogany back/sides OM-sized cutaway model with Fishman Prefix Plus electronics done in the pre-war forward-shifted X bracing style. I bought it used for a bit over $500 and cannot be happier with the tone and overall quality of the guitar, especially for the price! It's surprisingly loud, well balanced and plays really well after some set-up that involved lowering the nut a bit and a truss rod adjustment. Like most OM's its not at it's best when played really hard but for the blues, jazz and fingerstyle stuff it's really quite amazing, again for the money. Lots of harmonic content and plays well all over the neck too. Unlike a a Martin, it has a 1 5/8's neck and a less beefy C shape neck as opposed to 1 11/16 and a husky "V". I actually prefer this because it feels more like my electrics. Both acoustically and amplified, it sounds terrific. The only change I made was to bone bridge pins and I'm not even sure it made much of a difference on this guitar. The only complaints I have are an ugly pickguard and a narrow headstock that causes the A string to rest against the E string's tuning peg But that's just nit-picking. This model seems to be kind of hard to find in the states and more common in Europe but if you have a chance to try it, or the non-cutaway/no electronics BR-143 (no CE), I think you'll find it's a lot of guitar for the money.

12. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

I know you know what your talking about when you say that your Blueridge sounds as sweet as she does.:dude
    After I put down my Tux (you ought to try this guitar out! It is in your line of work:AOK), it's time to start getting that wooden music going.
    And I want to play some single note blues licks on this acoustic while I'm getting comfortable, sitting down, and I want to use a pick at first and umwind until a hybrid type of finger/pick noise starts to come out.
    Start to experiment and let those unintentional sounds start to take over for awhile. Slight, hard , soft finger noise and drift and let the box do the talking.:dude
    My Eastman AR805E can do this well, but "F" holes on an archtop is different to hold and drift with. Seems to me that the dred might fit this need alot better.:)
    That round soundhole facing up to me ought to fill the space all around me. The "F"hole is more directional. Know what I mean?:dude
    I do not need a show guiar. A gigging axe.
    I'm talking about a sound machine for inspirational noise while drifting with me creating and letting it take me away.
    Once I can get the idea together with this box...then I can take out my archtop and get her talkng to the masses.
    But that's way later.:RoCkIn
    I'm hoping that this MM that is going to land on my doorstep fits that bill.
    If not, perhaps a dreadnaught by Blueridge can help me.:)
    Perhaps a BR143 (don't need the e/c) would do. But they are hard to find eh?
    Ebay might see one now and again. It's too easy to keep an eye out there.:D

13. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

It's been a week since the arrival.
    I have been getting to know her since.
    First impressions are that the time it took to create this guitar was truly used well.
    I cannot find fault with anything about her.
    I will give a more in depth review here at TGP in the near future, but a quick and hopefully not too over the top gloss over for now will have to do.
    This is the MM M-15.
    Solid bookmatched spruce top. Solid mahogany sides and bookmatched back.
    Bone nut and bridge. Rosewood fretboard with 14 frets clear of the body.
    This guitar is not MMs top of the line, however the build quality is as good as their top of the line.
    These guitars are "Vintage Voiced" and crafted after legendary Martin guitars.
    Forward-shifted bracing, etc...whatever.
    I haven't ab'd this guitar with a Martin.
    However, I will say that the tones, dynamics, playability and sustain for days are truly making me a happy camper.:AOK
    I hope to someday play a comparable Blueridge.
    Then I'll know.
    But for now...I'm drifting away nicely, thank you very much.:drool

14. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

Hey kevmin:BEER
    I just started to watch the Monk1s other vids and read a few of his fans reviews.
    The Monk1s fav instruments include the MM M-15!:RoCkIn
    And...I now know why;):YinYang
    I've worn out two sets of strings so far.
    I can honestly say that winter, forced air heat and humidity changes make this a season of some sorrow for my hands.
    My guitars are taken care of better than I am!:rolleyes:
    But I've got to say...hand lotion is the #1 killer of tone and string life.:mad:
    I do love the tones coming out of my MM M-15 and am glad that I took the plunge.:RoCkIn
    More soon somewhere on TGP.:YinYang

15. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Cool, Ditch. I am glad you are enjoying it. I think I will buy an M-30 since your experience has been so good.

16. Ditch Gator

Ditch Gator Member

Right on!:BEER
    I've always been a dreadnaught sort of player, but that M-30 does look nice.
    Please let me know how you like her.:RoCkIn