Morgan Mvp23 Users?

LPSupreme11

Wondering how well this 23-watt amp will take overdrive and fuzz pedals. Does anybody have experience with the headroom of this guy?

Wondering how well this 23-watt amp will take overdrive and fuzz pedals. Does anybody have experience with the headroom of this guy?
It takes pedals quite well, if set up for it. Note that the MVP23 has both a master volume and power scaling. What this means is that you can set it up for tight preamp breakup, more bold compressed power amp breakup, or a combination thereof. Or, you can run it clean.

It gives you flexibility not normally found in other amps, so you can dial in dirt pedals to sound great. You just have to know what you’re doing. If you’re looking for singing fuzz leads, you’ll want to drive the power amp and keep the gain knob lower (master higher). If you’re looking for tight crunch with a TS, I’d lean towards the opposite. In either case; you can let the pedal blend with the amp’s breakup for nice results.

Personally, it has plenty of headroom for me. My drummer has 12/13/16/22” shells with 18” crashes. He’s 6’/200lb+ and swings hard with 5Bs. I have no problem getting cleans out of the MVP23 through a Morgan 1x12. I keep the power scaling around 65% to 70% to keep up with him and the band.

But clean is a polarizing thing. Some guys aren’t happy with any level of THD in their clean tone. Other guys want the warmth of a tube amp compressing a bit. I’m part of the latter group. Pristine squeaky cleans aren’t on my wishlist. The MVP has as much headroom as any 15W-20W amp, maybe more than most, but it’s still 2 EL-84s, which is a far cry from 50W of headroom.

Babow2

Live gigs killed here
Gold Supporting Member
Not enough good headroom for my taste. The EL-84s just don’t have enough depth or richness in a quad, and a pair isn’t enough for sure. I had one of these. Sounded cool at home but it couldn’t hang with the band and didn’t like pedals when pushed, at least for MY taste. By comparison, a 2x6L6 Two Rock SP35 has all the clean headroom you want, even with a bit of hair, and loves pedals. Maybe I’m just not an EL-84 guy.

Trending Topics