Morgan or Divided by 13

Cold Engineer

Help! I'm about to purchase an amp and it's come down to a Morgan RCA 35 or a used Divided By 13 EDT 13/29. I know the differences on paper but I'm hoping to hear anyone's thoughts on the pros and cons of each. I'm looking for a nice clean sound that can get to the edge of breakup at reasonable levels. Unlike a lot of guitarists I don't have an excessively loud drummer so headroom shouldn't be an issue. The benefits of a jazz drummer are sometimes you actually have to tell him to be louder. Alright, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Gemini2

I have not owned either amp. However I did look at the Morgan and several /13's while amp shopping recently. I ended up with something else but the Morgan made my short list.

I don't think you'd regret either. For harmonic rich, complex cleans - the Morgan gets the nod IMHO. Both get edge of breakup no problem although the 13/29 might have more headroom to deal with (/13 very loud!) and maybe more of a Rock edge to it. Morgan is just so sweet though. Maybe someone can tell you which takes pedals better.

bobcs71

My experience: Know & hear a guy using a RCA35. Used a /13 JRT a lot.
The RCA is in the BF Fender camp. The EDT is in the Bassman/JTM camp.

If you can try that would be the best idea. Personally I love the way /13 amps break up.

Cold Engineer

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm trying the %13 on Saturday. I won't be able to try a Morgan though. No dealers anywhere close. Alright, keep the insight coming. Thanks!

Cold Engineer

Well, in case anyone was wondering, I ended up getting a Morgan AC20 deluxe. The EDT 13/29 had some serious problems. I could see the potential from what I heard though. After the EDT didn't work out, I decided to try the most popular Morgan since my buddy raved about it. And I don't really need another Fender voiced amp. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the AC20 and I've never really been a vox guy before. This amp has a lot going on. The sound is highly detailed and harmonically complex all the way from chimey clean to that great vox grind.

Trending Topics