Morgan RV35

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by taylorwfu, Mar 1, 2012.

1. taylorwfu

taylorwfu Member

I ordered a Morgan RV35 from Joe last fall. I saved up all last year for it. It got here the week before Christmas. I was ecstatic. It was everything I was looking for in an amp: the tone was perfect, it was the most responsive amp I have ever played, everyone that heard it immediately wanted to have it. The amp was worth every penny and then some.

Fast forward to mid-January: I started having some volume loss issues one night while rehearsing for a gig at church. It was erratic though, and sometimes it seemed to play just fine. Other times it would lose volume immediately and start having a crackling tone. I emailed Joe about it, he said it was likely a bad preamp tube. So I swapped those out. Still had issues. Joe sent me new power tubes and a new rectifier. The cab worked like a charm with my other amps, so I new it wasn't the speakers. But the new tubes still didn't fix the issue. I was getting really bummed out. Joe sent me a return label and promised to turn the amp around the day he got it. I finally sent it to him about two weeks ago. I live in NC, so I knew I'd be without for a little while.

I got my baby back Tuesday of this week. Joe told me a resistor went bad in the phase inverter. I have no idea what that means, but he said it's a super rare problem. I played it last night for a gig and had multiple compliments on my tone. I could not be happier.

The moral of the story is: I see a lot of posts on here about "Morgan versus XXXX amp". Get the Morgan. I promise you won't be disappointed in it. Not only will your amp sound like a dream, Joe will treat you right.

These pics were taken with my iPhone and I'm probably shaking from excitement (the day I got the amp). It's a blue sparkle tolex with white piping and black sparkle grill. Gorgeous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

awesome! nice morgan! :beer

3. ken374

ken374 Member

nice ! keep rubbing the Morgan gas will ya lol cant beat that service!

4. Cody Anchor

Cody Anchor Member

Joe's customer service is top notch.

5. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

Awesome story. One of the reasons I went with Morgan for my order.

6. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

What speaker are you running ?

Love the look and it's no surprise to me as to what and how Joe treated you.

7. taylorwfu

taylorwfu Member

I've got a 2x12 with two G12H30's. I went with Joe's recommendation on that. I knew I wanted a 2x12, and I thought I might want two different ones, but his advice was dead on (shocker). The amp is the most well-balanced I've ever played. The frequency response across the board is incredible.

Plus, I've used the speaker cab with my Night Train 15 a few times. It really sounds incredible that way. And so loud....

8. samuelson

samuelson Member

I'm sure you would have got the same service and guarantee with a Chinese made amp.:nuts

when you buy a boutique amp you buy the company. Joe get's it. pretty simple really. same in my business.

9. KmCyPreSs

KmCyPreSs Supporting Member

Hope you guys don't mind if i chime in w/ a few quick questions. (For reference I'm playing a Les Paul w/ p90s and a Tele. Some alt country, some blues, some p&w)

I've been eyeing an head/2x12cab setup that can take me into super reverb territory w/ a master and gain instead of the "turn up to break up" layout that most amps in this category have. From some descriptions, this amp seems like it could be it.

Just curious on how much this is based on a blackface in terms of the tone? Because most video demos I've seen of this amp make it seem pretty chimney - like it cops a Vox clean a bit. Is this an accurate description? I had a Matchless Llightning that I sold because I couldn't quite handle the el84 chime.

My second question pertains to volume. Haven't heard a lot of people say its crazy loud - but it is 35 watts correct? How does it cops tones at med/lower volumes? Anyone have a half power option? How's the headroom?

Okay, that's a lot of questions! Haha. But I'm stuck w/ asking until I find one to try out. Thanks!

10. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Joe understands taking care of his customers and backing his products better than anyone I know (Danocaster is up there too). He really takes pride in making sure his amps are everything the buyers want them to be and more

11. taylorwfu

taylorwfu Member

I feel like this is a great mix, but it leans more toward a blackface than a VOX. While the highs are very crisp and clear, they definitely don't jangle like my VOX amps do. And the bottom end on this thing is massive.

I have traditionally only played 15 watt amps. I am blown away by how much louder this amp is. When I first got it, I took it to a private room at church and turned it all the way up. It was unreal. The sweet spot for me has been to have both gain and master volume between 12 and 1 o'clock (this is pretty loud; I keep it in an ISO booth when I play). There is the slightest amount of breakup, but for the most part, it's got very clean headroom until the gain is around 2 or 3. However, even turned down at the house, it's got great tones. I have two input jacks, and the second one seems to be about 60% of the power of the first one. I don't know if this is a true half-power option, and have not asked Joe, just because I don't want to pester him. I use this at home sometimes practicing. I will say, it does not sound as good as when I use the full volume channel.

Hope this helps!

12. KmCyPreSs

KmCyPreSs Supporting Member

Awesome. Thanks for that. Definitely need to try one out.

13. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Like a deluxe with a tad of Vox throatiness. Sounds great at any volume, if you want dirt at low volume just use a pedal. Dime the vol and gain and use the high input and it is unreal. IMO you need to play it with a band, then use another amp the next time. Then do that again to see how and why it's so great. Service is spot on.

14. ken374

ken374 Member

I pulled out of getting the DAG, the distortion was kind of muddy with my les paul not sure if it was the tubes JJ, not my favorite for preamps. My Vox distortion is way more together sounding.

15. ken374

ken374 Member

Dag is awesome for cleans though and single coils prb.

16. bigredhaus

bigredhaus Member

17. David Gurr

David Gurr Member

That is one gorgeous amp!

18. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

my friend 1bluebear here on TGP is getting a RV35 in the mail on Tuesday and he is wondering if you need to change the rectifier tube when using 6v6s as the power tubes.

does anyone know about when or if you need to change the rectifier when trying out different power tubes? or does the usual rectifier work fine with all the various power tubes you can try with this amp?

Thanks for anyone who can help with this...

Eric

19. lucidgenius

lucidgenius Member

Did this problem ever reoccur?

I've had my amp in Joe's shop twice for the same issue and it just happened again (on stage) last week.

20. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

These amps look awesome. I have a 68 Super and I'd like to get something that sounds similar that's a little easier to move around.