Morgan vs Dr. Z

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by heajos, Feb 4, 2012.

1. heajos

heajos Member

I'm in the market for a new amplifier.
    Ready to get rid of my Vox AC30CC2 :bonk

I'm torn between Morgan amps, which sound incredible but very similar to Vox.
    And a Dr. Z (preferably a Maz 18).

I want a new sound but I don't want to stray too far.

Pros and cons of these amps? Which ones sound better to you guys and for what reasons?

I just want to hear a little input.
    Thanks!

I play a Gretsch Duo Jet 6128TDS

2. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

I have a Maz 18 and I love it. I have the no reverb version running in to a 1x12 cab with a Austin Speaker Works KTS-60 and I'm very happy. It will give you some different flavours from your traditional Vox, but can bring the chime. Haven't heard the Morgan, but I've read it is amazing. I think an AC20 would be more Vox whereas the Maz will give you shades of Fender, Vox and Marshall. Some people don't like the Maz because they expect it to sound like a Vox or a Fender, but it kind of has it's own nice sound.

Can't go wrong with both. Maz 18 also eats pedals.

3. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Both the Maz 18 and Morgan AC20 (I assume this is what you're looking into) are great amps!!! As you stated, the Morgan is more of an AC30 vibe...but a really good AC30. The Maz 18 is a little more of its own thing, but it sounds great.

My band mate went from an AC30CC to a Maz 18, and now to an AC20. I prefer the AC20. That said, I'm a big fan of the Maz amps, as I used to own a Maz 38. Sooo, I would say you can't really go wrong with either. I just personally prefer the tonality of the AC20. It's a fabulous amp.

4. heajos

heajos Member

Thanks for the input!
    I'm really leaning towards the Z... But it's such a hard decision.

5. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I just had a Maz 18, but now have an AC20 Deluxe. They're both great. However, I'll suggest that if you haven't already, you should check out the Morgan RV35. Fendery, but with a Voxy top end shimmer and chime, is my take from the clips... Perhaps owners will chime in, but there are plenty of threads about it here, and clips / YouTube videos. Plus, you can toss in lots of different tubes. It's gonna be my next Morgan.

6. heajos

heajos Member

What are the differences between the AC20 and the RV35?

7. your name here

The AC20 is based around the normal channel of an AC30. It's made for that sound. It does it VERY well. The RV35, as I've described above, seems more of a Fendery sound, but with some Voxy qualities. Check out the vids / threads here / info on the Morgan site. Like I said, I don't own one... Yet.

8. heajos

heajos Member

Ah gotcha, well i'll definitely give it a look.
    Thanks for the input! :aok

9. your name here

10. Fendert

Fendert Member

I'm in the same boat right now!

I just played a gig thursday night, and borrowed my Friends AC20 deluxe and it was fabulous! I have an AC15h1tvL and it honestly sounded very close. He has an ASW Absolute in his, so the best way I can compare between my AC15 and his AC20 is that the AC20 had less chime, but sounded Huge when broken up!

I have Also been looking at a MAZ 18. but I have honestly never heard one in person.

11. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

From what I can tell, the AC20 is a great AC15/30 type amp. The Dr Z is a great sounding amp that can cop some Fender, Vox and Marshall but is mostly "Dr. Z". It depends on what your looking for? The Maz Jr sounds like Dr. Z took an old Fender Deluxe and mixed it with an AC30. Fender Spank and AC30 chime.

I have a GREAT AC30 type amp and the Maz Jr can cover most of the same ground (but not 100% of the way), but it can also sound different when needed.

12. heajos

heajos Member

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. It's looking like the Z is winning me over after all.
    The feedback has been great guys thanks a lot!

13. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

I've no experience with Morgan, but i'm totally sold on my 18 watt (conservatively rated!) Dr. Z Carmen Ghia head. It has a matching 1x12 Z cab loaded with a Weber AlniCo silver bell.
    From British Invasion clean tones to 'Stonesy raunch, this amp delivers. A most touch-sensitive amp. And all this EL84 goodness comes with the simplicity of just 2 knobs. Good luck!

14. feet

feet Supporting Member

if you have time, perhaps consider a couple of tophats- the club royale for voxy/marshall or the super fat club deluxe for a fender/bit of vox sound.

i kept dreaming about adding a morgan for a more definitive vox sound, but i think the club royale is more than definitive enough. though i still want one. and an rv35. and the club deluxe.

15. jamesrsmith

jamesrsmith Supporting Member

i have owned a mazerati gt, mazerati, carmen ghia, 6545, kt45, route 66, z -28, and a few others i cant remember, AND one morgan mv23,, cross between a vox and fender/marshall. you are not going to go wrong with either one,, dr z's are more readily available. AND joe morgan builds about the same variety as dr z, price point about the same, maybe joe charges a bit more,, both right in there, i would have a wait quite a while for a morgan build, joe morgan will build you pretty much the kind of amp youwant, but you will have to wait for it,, dr z's are all over the place,, in a normal resale market dr z 's hold their value very well,, but this aint normal times to resell something and get something else,, i think a morgan would resell faster due to the fact they have not saturated like z's have... lots of different designs in dr zs and great customer service for both. i own two z's and traded my morgan for a sort of rare goodsell blackdog 20. if i traded again i would prolly keep a z and try to get a morgan,, gots to have both,,,

16. Brazuca11

Brazuca11 Member

I have played and gig'd with the Z Maz 18jr NR and currently own a Morgan 30/800. The Maz 18 jr is absolutely awesome...but it also depends on your style of playing. The Z has way more head room than any of the Morgan...especially the 30/800. I had mine mod'd to give me more head room. I love my morgan. It is brighter and more jangley (especially with the bright switch) than the Z maz 18. I decided on the 30/800 because it is a very versatile amp...it can play almost any style of music...which is what I like to do. The Z is so much warmer and has a more vintage feel. The morgans are crystal clear and have their own sound. I have played with the AC30 and my morgan on a clean channel side by side...and man I think they have two completely different sounds. One is more vintage sounding and one is more..."modern" (for a lack of a better word) and bright and clean. The break up is great on the Z again way more vintage sounding. The Morgan stuff just has there own sound...and to be honest they sound great! Good luck on the decision.

17. cestjoel

cestjoel Member

This!

Top Hats are real pro amps. And you could find them at a bargain. I used to own a King Royale and it's a great vox type amp. If you adjust settings you could even get some marshally tones.

Also, speakers makes a big difference. I had my KR with a bad cat treated Celestion mixed with a Celestion gold.

18. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

If I had to choose between a Morgan and a Maz 18, I'd go for the Morgan in a second. I've owned both the Maz 18 and a Dual 20 and much prefered the tone of the Dual 20. To me the Maz 18 sounded cold and sterile. Just my .02

19. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Which has a bigger or more low end - a Dr. Z Maz or Morgan AC20?

20. sst

sst Member

I would say they both have about the same low end which in my opinion is pretty prominent.