Mork and mindy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cygnusx1, May 25, 2015.

1. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

So I recently started watching the first season as I was a kid when this was on.
    I have never laughed so hard the slap stick joking. What I did notice though was the gear in the music store they ran. Vintage stuff. Just goes to show you that i cant even do something as simple as watch a show without thinking about this stuff!!!!,

2. Ransom

Ransom Member

Jonathan Winters took that show to a new level. Hilarious!

3. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

My 6th grade teacher said the show was stupid and not funny. That is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said to me.

4. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

An interesting one was when Mork met Robin Williams. Great episode.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

Of all the shows that should be re-runs, Mork and Mindy is one of the best!

6. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

When it debuted, it was the hot topic in our break room at work. I liked the show better before Winters was added. Other than the main characters, I though Exidore was hilarious.

And, my mouth watered too at the stock in the music store.

7. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Great show. I find it impossible to watch after Robin Williams suicide. What a waste.

Cheddar Kung Pao and Average Joe like this.
  8. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

I liked Williams as an actor but never laughed at anything he did as a comedian. I only watched a couple of Mork & Mindy episodes and thought he was good in that character.....not funny to me but sort of cute/interesting in an enjoyable way. His stand-up was a mess. My favorite role was in Good Will Hunting.

9. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

10. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I'd suggest looking up his routine on golf. I thought it was fantastic.

Check out this scene from 4:15 onwards. It's hard to watch because he's describing himself. The balls he had to do this on camera... When he said that having time to himself might be the last thing he wants, I got a lump in my throat.

11. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Many of his roles involved a tenderness inside a contrasting exterior. Either he chose to portray them that way or it was just something that came through in his performances. He didn't have to be a comedian or actor. When he became a hit he could have pulled out and made a life outside of entertainment. He wanted to stay in. He sustained a long and lucrative career. He also proved worthy of roles reserved for serious actors.
    :) ...yeah funny. I think his delivery frequently got in my way of appreciating the humor.

FiestaRed likes this.
  12. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

...oh yeah. Thought I was the only one.

:aok

13. sahhas

sahhas Member

so, we made our kids watch an episode of Mork and Mindy last night, since some episodes are on Hulu. The scenes in the music store, i was like: WOW, the gear on the wall was amazing!!!! I'm not sure you'd see that attention to detail on a show today!!!
    the funny thing watching the episode we did from the first season, I don't think my kids thought it was very funny. By today's standards it's pretty tame, and the pacing does seem slow (everyone commented on that afterwards). I think my kids are sort of ruined by the humor of "Family Guy"...which I will say is a very funny show and at times very inappropriate....but i guess that's the appeal of the show!
    Tried to tell my kids that for it's day (TV in 1978) this show was totally out of control! I was in 9th grade, and there was nothing else like it on TV....but for my kids....it's a different world. It is weird to watch Robin Williams so young and funny and think that he's gone now....that was a weird feeling....

QRSS likes this.
  14. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

Special Guest: Raquel Welch

[​IMG]

nanu nanuuuuuuuuuu

15. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

Be sure to check out the Mork appearances on Happy Days that started it all. No one had ever seen anything quite like that before on 7pm network television. I remember going to school the day after Robin William's first guest appearance on Happy Days. All my little friends were literally quaking with energy after seeing that. It was a real sensation, and Mork and Mindy did a great job of tapping into it. Solid show. The little old lady with the white bun on her head, at the music store, was also very funny. I still remember that 30+ years later.

supergenius365 likes this.
  16. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I'd bet that Conrad Janis (he played Mindy's dad and music store owner) had everything to do with the gear in the store. He was a well known jazz musician back in the day and has probably been in hundreds of musical instrument stores...he's still alive and 89 years old. It probably also helped that it was a real store in Boulder called McConnell's Music...

17. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I saw Robin Williams MC the Bread and Roses Festival in Berkeley in the '80's. I have never seen a better funnier improv comedian.

One time a band I was in were going to play a festival and played the CD with "Golf" and were laughing so hard we almost drove the RV we were renting off the road.

18. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

That's typical when you watch a lot of old shows. There was some show I watched a little bit of on YouTube a few months back. I think it might have been the original Hawaii Five-O or The FBI. In any case the scene immediately after the credits showed the lead actor get in his car and drive for something like a minute or more. It did nothing to advance the plot, as nothing of note happened during the drive.

sahhas likes this.
  19. LittleJerry

LittleJerry Supporting Member

I saw Conrad Janis and The Beverly Hills Unlisted Jazz Band way back when at a local club. They played Dixieland style jazz. Great show. It's hard not to enjoy the music when the band is having so much fun playing for you. Conrad played the trombone.

somecafone likes this.
  20. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

When I was younger, I was quite the precocious Sci-fi nerd, and did not care for anything that did not treat the genre with respect, and M&M was right at the top of the list as far as I was concerned. I just never warmed up to it. I liked Williams as a serious actor, but the manic comedy was always turn off.