Morley AB/Y Tone Loss?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hugo Da Rosa, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I'm experiencing some tone loss when running an AC15 and JCM2000 in stereo with the Morley AB. Seems like some of the highs get sucked away and the overall tone just gets duller. Anyone else experience this with the Morley AB? Or any AB pedal in general? Is this normal?

2. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

Yeah, the Morley AB/Y will do that to you. I was running two amps with one an experienced the same problems, as well as signal leakage. I started using it as a tuner mute, but I could still hear the signal when I tuned, and if I had my overdrive on, the signal was as clear as day.

It's a good splitter for the money, though. If you want to eliminate these problems, you'll have to spend a lot more.

3. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

look inside and you'll see why.

4. Zero

Zero Member

my god that thing is horrible. I returned one very quickly. OK, it's $40 or whatever so i guess if you're broke it'll do the job. but if you would like as much signal as possible getting from your guitar to the amp I would not touch this thing with a 10 ft. pole.

5. Zelja

Zelja Member

Is this an A or B/A and B box? If you are trying to run both amps at the same time then you will definately have issues as you have the inputs of 2 amps (plus cables) loading down the pickup's signal at the same time.

I'm not sure of any other solution except a buffer of some sort between your guitar & the AB/Y, though you can go for an active switcher like the Radial Switchbone or /13 Switchhazel (I think). I'm sure there are plenty of other options as well. I know the radial has a phase switch & ground lift switch, as well as boosts etc.

Of course, no more "True Bypass" if that's important to you.

6. es125luv

es125luv Member

this is the WORST AB/Y pedal I have ever used. There are many who say it is fine, but beware.

There are MUCH better choices out there.

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

Get the Whirlwind, as a superior and EZ on the wallet choice....

8. Brien

Brien Member

I use a Morley as an A/B swithch for 2 different guitars, through the same amp. I don't notice a tone loss.

9. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I have one. It's ok for $40, but definitely causes some tone loss. I have actually thought about tearing it apart and trying to rebuild it with better components, but haven't had the time. If anyone has any tips on upgrading it, I would be very appreciative.

Rock on.

:banana

10. mrscott99

mrscott99 Member

I have used them and did experience leakage. The Morley Tripler how ever works great. It also has a boost knob to kick more signal when all three channels are engaged.

11. brianf

brianf Member

I use one. No tone loss at all.

brianf

12. IvIark

IvIark Member

Using the Morley in "Y mode" simply shares the same signal between the two outputs which is a horrible way of doing it. To do this properly you need a splitter with some sort of active boost or buffer in there. Alternatively an effect pedal with mono in / stereo outs can do the same thing. You could experiment and try it with your DD7 (bypassed) in place of the Morley and see how you think it compares.

13. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    any experience with the voodoo lab amp selector

14. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

A horrible tone sucker.

15. Hugo Da Rosa

I was going to try that out tonight before my gig tomorrow. The thing is that I don't want my effects hitting the JCM - at least not all of it. All my effects would run primarily into the AC15 and have only the DL4 (and maybe the DD7) stereo outs run into the JCM. The JCM is dialed in to be dirty so I don't want my high gain pedals in my chain to kick in to it and turn the JCM into a distortion. But the tone loss I am getting out of the Morley is bugging the heck out of me so I may have to just dial in the JCM clean and do as you suggested instead.

Anyone else know of another alternative? Buying another AB/Y pedal is alittle out of the question at the moment. Just need something I can work with.

16. IvIark

IvIark Member

No I'm not saying split the stereo signal after your effects in their normal order. I mean take out the DD7 from where it usually sits and put it where the Morley currently is so the split is in the same place. Of course you're then missing a delay further down your chain but all you want to do is try it using a pedal to see if you're happier with the quality. If you are then buy a cheap stereo pedal like something from Behringer and use it bypassed purely as a splitter.

17. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

do you have a buffered pedal in line before the signal gets to the Y box? that should help, although, IIRC, the morley has these 50k resistors in there to reduce popping noise, and those will load things down as well.

18. Hugo Da Rosa

No, I don't actually. In spite of the endless talk about the difference with the TU-2 first or last in the chain, would putting my TU-2 first and then into the Morley help? I have until 4:00pm PST today to find out :)

19. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that will actually make a big difference, as without it, you're basically only giving each amp half the output from your pickups, making each amp dull and weak, as you've noticed. a buffered pedal before the split will result in a full-power low-impedance signal going to both amps. it will likely overcome the dropping resistors in that morley as well.