Morley wahs???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by riffpowers, Feb 3, 2008.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've had a few wahs, custom SC wah, dunlop crababy, dunlop 535q, teese rmc3, chicago iron, but never really found one I liked and always ended up selling em.
    I'm playing in a heavy 70's style sabbathy type doomy band, so am thinking about picking one up, so thought about trying morley.
    Spec wise the tremonti (uuurgh!!) wah fits best as it has a volume boost for leads.
    Just wondered what peoples opinion of morley wahs are.

2. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

huge chrome bump

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    The Bad Horsie 2 is THE best wah pedal on the market IMHO.

Super smooth, big sweep, good variety of tones, true bypass, step on it to activate and it springs back to off when you lift your foot - can't beat it. :drool

4. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

dude, all morley's give you a volume boost for leads. i'm the farthest thing from a heavy type of player. i'm actually a jamband type of funkster. but i used a morley bad horsie 1 back in my younger days starting out...and loved it. for a long time i didn't even use a second overdrive b/c i ran the morley as my clean boost/ and wah. i've owned two different teese wah's and a budda...now i'm rocking the morley bad horsie 2...yes, still a jamband/ funkster. and they are great wah's for lot's of tones.

5. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I have had the original Bad Horsie for years without any problem. I like the modern wah capabilities, and I can still get enough of the traditional wah sounds for my tastes. Prior to that I used multiple Cry Babies. Some of those were better than others, but they all had a short life span, even after a few surgeries.

If you want old school wahs but the highest quality, you can get that for $200 to $300 in a boutique wah.

6. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

The Bad Horsie 2 is not true bypass, it's auto-off.

I've got one, I'm not particularly fond of it, but it's by no means a poor product. It's different in the sense that it is spring loaded and returns to the off position on its own. I'd check it out before hand to make sure you're comfortable with that. The sweep curve is somewhat odd. The first inch, inch and a half of the pedal's movement is hyper-sensitive compared to the end of the movement, so you gotta mess figure out how to work it before you can have any real success with it.

It does have a "Contour" switch that seems to boost certain frequencies. It dirties it up and gives some feedback and noise. Otherwise, it's not actually that bad tone-coloration wise.

7. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

i have the tremonti, and the things that i like about it are the switchless thing.... i really really love that!!! the second thing i really dig is the throw of the pedal if that makes sense.... one of things that i am not a fan of with other wah's are the range not sonically but mechanically...... the morley feels really sweet under foot i guess the only thing is that it doesnt sit say mid sweep for that kinda sound....because of the switchless/spring thing....
    the sound doesnt set me alight either but .... i guess i do like the volume boost.....
    i'm gonna give the gig-fx megawah a run next.... will see how that goes....

8. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Apparently the new power wah has a boost function.

Anyone tried that one??

9. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've been gigging with my Bad Horsie II now for a couple of months. It's got good clean / funky sound and sounds equally good with distortion. I'm a fan.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    It's true bypass AND auto off. There's zero tone suck from the BH2 on my rig when it's on auto-off. The sweep takes about 2 seconds to get used to and the only thing thats odd about it is it's wider than 99% of all other wah pedals. The contour switch adds zero feedback or noise to my rig but does add a lot of great and useful tones, quacks and cool effects :cool:

11. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

+:banana+++++++

12. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I used a power Volume/Wah for quite a number of years. It did suck some highs but I liked the convienence of a volume and wah in one unit and never needing to clean pots - ala Vox and Dunlop. Its wah sound probably didn't sound quite as good as a regular pot model but it was a good working pedal that never let me down on stage or in the studio - although the rubber grip fell off pretty quickly. It generally sounded more aggressive than most traditional wahs I've used - so very suitable for metal and gloom rock IMO.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Believe me, I love my BH and BH2, and have been loving them since they came out. I like them more than the RMC3 I had, or Silver Machine, or Wah Probe, etc. etc...

BUT - they are buffered. Excellent buffer, and I like that it's 1st in my chain. I A/B'd the buffer with both a Doobtone MicroBuffer and an Axess BS-2. The Doob sounded better than the Axess, and the Morley sounded like the Doob... which was absolutely transparent, just a smidge clearer (not brighter - big difference).

-Ben

14. ?&!

?&! Member

I use the Tremonti, and it rules. He's a total douchebag, but the wah is excellent. I use it as the buffer on my board, and the boost function is killer.