Morning Dew EQ or Diamond Comp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Jan 24, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Ok, i know that they are completely different pedals, but i only have room/money for one of them.

I currently own the diamond comp, and i love what it does to my cleans, it evens out every note and just makes it sound sweeter. I use the EQ knob set at about 1 o clock to add some sparkle. The thing is, i really don't get along with the pedal once my amp starts breaking up. This is what gets me searching for another solution. hence, the morning dew eq.

I had a SBEQ a while back and liked what it did, and how i could just refine my sound in a live setting and how i could shape other pedals with it. I never used it as a boost, and as time passed, i just couldn't justify having a 280 dollar EQ pedal. Anyways, when i found out about the MDEQ, i was entrigued, especially because of the mid knob, because i've been looking to add a little high-mids/sparkle to my amp to nudge it into voxy teritory (it's almost there!). I also have all true bypass pedals and run at least 30 feet of cable at shows, so the buffer may come in handy in the future.

anyways, with that said what do you think is right for me, and why?

thanks, jon

2. themusicboxstudios

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Did you try the hi-cut mod for your diamond comp that is written in the manual?

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Yeah, I forgot about that... what's that do again?

5. themusicboxstudios

I tried it, and it made the pedal even more subtle and almost unusable. When i asked Michael about what it did @ Namm, he just said it's made to reduce the hum when you're using a overdrive box in front of it. That's all.

Jon

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

technically, it cuts the comps effect to all signal above ~4kHz. I tried it once, and preferred the comp without it. However, it works great before both my TCJ DGTM as well as my Hot British in stock form, so I don't complain

7. drolling

drolling Member

Well, if this Antelope EQ's even close to capable of the tone shaping of the SBEQ & Diamond comp, I want one.

But the seablue & compressor will have to stay as they are always on.

Is the Antelope even shipping yet?

8. themusicboxstudios

not yet, but i have a chance to buy one of the prototypes from a gear pager.

9. themusicboxstudios

i just played my amp for the first time out of my new Scumback speaker, and it is wonderful! I'm no longer afraid to get rid of the Diamond Comp, because the Scumback is giving me that little tonal enhancement which i was getting out of the Diamond Comp. I'm buying a BJF PGC, and if that's too subtle ... i guess i'll just go for the analogman bi comp :NUTS:dude.

anyways, the diamond comp is in the emporium :) ... my board has completely disapeared this week, all i have left is my strobostomp and my broken memory lane ... o well, good things are sure to come :).

10. fast ricky love

I'm in the same camp! Not sure I really need my Diamond as much now that I've got a juicier tone thanks to the Scumback... now I'm wondering if a SBEQ is the way to go... (I'm in the opposite camp tho' to you here curehandy, I'm looking to go away from the high mids a bit as I'm already playing a Vox-voiced amp).

Would you recommend the SBEQ? It is a lot of coin for a bass and treble knob...

11. themusicboxstudios

The SBEQ kind of did the same thing the Diamond EQ did (at least for how i set it). It just rounds everything out and dials in pedals to near perfection. I'm not sure if you'd be able to knock out some upper mids, but it may be possible. I think the reason a lot of people love it, is because its ability as a boost. Since i never used it that way, it just wasn't worth the money. The morning dew EQ is more what i'm willing spend on an EQ and the mid knob just entrigues me. For now, i need to get my OD situation figured out. But the MDEQ is still on my list to finish off my board in the future.

12. fast ricky love

Thanks for the advice bro!