Morningstar MC3

bulbasaur_85

Really looking forward to this. I could control the mc8 with this hopefully...using it as bank up/down, and page toggle. Or have it as a bank jump to quickly access three banks.

DeSelby

I wish they could have eeked out a fourth button, but this seems cool.
I had a look at the manual and think the decision to go with 3 over 4 was astute for the following reason. One of the most common gripes with the MC6 is the proximity of the switches particularly from people with bigger feet. The switch layout on the MC3 eases that because you will always be aiming for an edge - left, right, top - and the switch separation is pretty much optimal.

The other thing is with the switches laid out as :

C
A B

pressing A+B toggles you between 2 pages so you have 6 presets available.

looper309

Supporting Member
That MC3 would be perfect for my Strymon pedalboard. Although I could see where people might just go another $40 for the MC6 if they have the space for it. By the time you add a 3 button footswitch you're at the MC6 price point.
I think there is now a golden opportunity for Morningstar to fill the void that FAMC has left. MC12 with individual LED labels.

johnnyninja

Ordered last night. I have a One Control Gecko I’ve been using with my Gigboard, but it doesn’t play nice at all. Patch numbers are off by one and I can’t get tap tempo to work. Hopefully this will take care of that and more.

Last edited:

ctreitzell

Really looking forward to this. I could control the mc8 with this hopefully...using it as bank up/down, and page toggle. Or have it as a bank jump to quickly access three banks.
oooh, great idea! I'm not crazy about the two button press for the MC-8 bank up/ down I was thinking to get another MC-8

ctreitzell

You can program one button to bank up and another to bank down. They are on the option drop down menu on the editor.
On my 3 button aux switch, left banks down, right banks up and center toggles page.
Thanks, man
MC-8 is pretty impressive
I've only got a few hours with it so far...just programming

DeSelby

[edit] Though this is not immediately applicable to the MC3 I posted because I thought it might be of interest and I imagine much of what has been announced will be applicable to the MC3 as well.

Firmware v3.7.1 has been released for the MC8 and MC6 MKII

A description of the new features can be found here and I’ve posted below.

This is a major release. Although you may well find other items that are of greater interest, the two that have my immediate attention are 1 and 5. 1 is like pre and post conditions for banks which could be very useful. And 5 adds a macro facility which will be really handy if there are a set of commands you want to invoke repeatedly regardless of which bank you’re in.

————————-

New Features

1. Bank Presets

We have taught our MIDI Controllers some new tricks! You can now configure the controllers to send up to 16 MIDI messages upon Entering or Exiting a bank with Bank Presets. It is now possible to execute functions like sending a PC or CC message when changing banks.

2. New Long Press Scroll Action

You can now hold down a switch to continuously engage a Preset.

3. Preset Message Scroll mode

The Preset Message Scroll mode allows you to scroll through each of your 16 Messages that is paired with a Release action. That means that if you have a PC#0 on Message 1, PC#1 on Message 2 and PC#2 on Message 3, using this mode will allow you to send PC#0 on the first Release, PC#1 on the second Release and PC#2 on the third Release. The forth Release will cycle back to PC#0.

4. CC Waveform Generator

We have also added a waveform generator which allows you to generate CC messages with a selected waveform (Linear, Sine, Sawtooth) and a specified duration (Once or Perpetual). The duration from trough to peak can be defined in Milliseconds. Using the Linear Up waveform with your Filter device, for example, will enable you to use your MIDI controller like a Wah pedal.

5. Engage Preset Message Type

This update sees the addition of the Engage Preset message type, which allows you to trigger a different Preset in a different Bank. This opens up a lot of possibilities in designing your workflow, or potentially send more than the 16 MIDI Message limit per Preset.

6. MIDI Song Position Message Type

The MIDI Song Position message is also added in this update.

7. Set Internal BPM for MIDI Clock with CC messages

The MIDI Clock BPM can now be set with external CC messages being sent to the MC6 MKII or MC8.

8. Engage Expression Presets with CC Messages

Expression Presets in the devices can now be engaged with external CC messages.

9. Wireless Connectivity with the CME WIDI Master to the Editor

If you have purchased the excellent WIDI Master from CME, you'll be pleased to know that it is possible to connect to the Editor wirelessly.

10. SysEx Cross MIDI Thru

We have also enhanced the MIDI Thru capabilities from USB MIDI to DIN and vice versa (or what we call Cross MIDI Thru) to allow the usage of the MC6 MKII and MC8 as an interface for programs like the Strymon Nixie.

Last edited:

ctreitzell

You can program one button to bank up and another to bank down. They are on the option drop down menu on the editor.
On my 3 button aux switch, left banks down, right banks up and center toggles page.
Which three button aux switch you using?

Have you been able to program any PCM8x pivot points with your Morningstar yet? Which Morningstar do you have?

Trending Topics