Morningstar MC8 !

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by diego.fresh, Nov 25, 2019.

1. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Now we're talking!

2. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

*sigh* I just got my mc6 mkii/daasmartclock/sa neuro hub setup up and running....

your name here likes this.
  3. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Isn’t that always the way. I’m taking solace in the fact that if this is a bigger enclosure/MC8, I won’t even have room for it without a board upgrade or losing an existing pedal, neither of which I intend to entertain.

If there’s ever an MC6-sized model that does MIDI over TRS though, my MC6 MKII’ll be for sale immediately.

UrbanHymns likes this.
  4. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

yeah. I’d have room. And it’d free up a power tap even. That’s just always how it goes...

your name here likes this.
  5. DieHon

DieHon Member

6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Somebody wake me when we get a real picture or solid idea of what this thing is. I’ve had enough foreplay. :waiting:rolleyes2::D

RMosack likes this.
  7. fl00dsm0k3

fl00dsm0k3 Member

I'm not saying I want another big pedal on board. Who am I kidding. I WANT IT!

8. Phopper

Phopper Member

Dude I just bought a microtron III two days ago and yesterday they release the microtron iv... :bonk

Pellecaster and btjguitarman like this.
  9. Phopper

Phopper Member

OK so it's a full on midi controller with loops? Might finally make me sell my es8...

10. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Someone in the P&W thread said this could be just how the controller reads the ML5 and not actually having loops in the controller. The pic of the back with the EXP/aux/midi jacks doesn’t look like there’s any space for loop ins and outs.

Orion848 and diego.fresh like this.
  11. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

Yes I don't think it has loop switch built in. It might have a direct access mode for the ML5 though .

It looks to me that the screen is twice as big and there are 8 buttons now. Pretty clear what it is at this point. I suspect it is about 1-2 inches deeper and 3-4 inches wider.

The most important fact to find now is When?

UrbanHymns likes this.
  12. vlammie

vlammie Member

Yes, Yes & Yes.

hippieboy likes this.
  13. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

That video was ridiculous. Fortunately, it looks good.

15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

I was really hoping this could control external equipment via TRS (i.e. recall favorites on El Cap and Flint). Doesn’t look like it can. Oh well, I’ll wait to see what all it can do.

16. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

17. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

It should be able to. EXP = TRS which is the same principle used in Strymons such as the El Cap and Flint.

18. vlammie

vlammie Member

The mc8 can't replace the strymon favourite switches, these use latching contacts.
    Midi will work of course, there are internal dip switches for switching between chase bliss and empress/meris, etc.

19. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

how does this work ?
    the screen shows the name of analog pedals... but I don't see inputs for separate pedals?

20. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

It’s a midi controller, not a loop switcher. Only midi signals run through it. You can however connect a loop switcher to it via midi such as the Morningstar ML5, voodoo lab Hex, and rjm mini effects gizmo, and thus control any analog pedals connected to those with the MC8.

If you’re looking for a loop switcher + midi controller, you can check out devices such as the Boss ES-5/8, RJM Mastermind series, Disaster Area DPC series, and the gig rig products to name a few.

For the 1/4” jacks on the Morningstar MC-8, those appear to be able to do a few different things:
    - connect directly to pedals with a 1/4” midi input (Chase bliss, meris, Alexander, empress, etc)
    - connect an expression pedal for controlling parameters via cc’s
    - connect an auxiliary footswitch to switch banks and toggle pages
    - connect an auxiliary footswitch to access the secondary page presets without having to toggle the page.

The last 3 functions are currently available on the MC-6 (which I own). Obviously just my inferences without seeing a manual for the new MC-8.

vlammie, Deadpool_25 and Dimitri like this.