• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Morningstar MC8 !

Dimitri

It’s a midi controller, not a loop switcher. Only midi signals run through it. You can however connect a loop switcher to it via midi such as the Morningstar ML5, voodoo lab Hex, and rjm mini effects gizmo, and thus control any analog pedals connected to those with the MC8.

If you’re looking for a loop switcher + midi controller, you can check out devices such as the Boss ES-5/8, RJM Mastermind series, Disaster Area DPC series, and the gig rig products to name a few.

For the 1/4” jacks on the Morningstar MC-8, those appear to be able to do a few different things:
- connect directly to pedals with a 1/4” midi input (Chase bliss, meris, Alexander, empress, etc)
- connect an expression pedal for controlling parameters via cc’s
- connect an auxiliary footswitch to switch banks and toggle pages
- connect an auxiliary footswitch to access the secondary page presets without having to toggle the page.

The last 3 functions are currently available on the MC-6 (which I own). Obviously just my inferences without seeing a manual for the new MC-8.
Thank you! :beer

jackson5

Almost sold on it! I just need a new ML5 that allows you to change the order of the effects... then I'll buy both and move my ES-5 to another board.

diego.fresh

Got my mc6 mki up FS !

Was going to pre order, but wondering if there will be any US based distributors? $40 shipping is a bit steep

Quad4

Great device. Too big for my pedalboard.

May have to wait for the MC6-mk III with omniports. Not sure if it's realistic, but 3 omniports would be great and perhaps a larger display.

Ed_Saxman

Thank you! Now I have readed it enterely. And wondering that it is still an early version, just becouse I can see some posible typos there. Or at least, confusing info:

Under the Design and Architecture section, the manual says:
Each bank can display up to 8 presets, of which all are accessible from the 8 switches. The other 8 presets can be engaged via dual switch presses or external aux controllers. A Page Toggle function is also available via Switch B+C to switch between the first 8 presets and the last 8 presets. Besides these 16 presets, the OmniPort 1 and OmniPort 2 can control Presets Q-S and Presets T-V respectively with an external 3 switch aux controller attached.

That is: Each bank has 22 presets (16 onboard + 6 external)

But under the Using External Aux Switches section, it says:
You can connect an external Aux switch to your MC8 to control extra presets:
  • OMNIPORT 1: Preset Q R S
  • OMNIPORT 2: Preset T U V
  • OMNIPORT 3: Preset I J K
  • OMNIPORT 4: Preset L M N
That is: 16 onboard + 12 external. (not "22 preset per bank", but 28?)

So, still it's not clear to me if the MC8 supports 6 or 12 external switches. May the first paragraph (design and architecture) have been copy-pasted/adapted from the MC6 manual?

Also, the MIDI implementation chart info (ending page of the manual) seems to be the same than the MC6:
Set Toggle (Individual) CC# 2 value 0 - 11 (0 = Preset A)

But it should be value 0 - 15 on the MC8, right?

I’m not usually an early adopter or a pre-orderer but I’ve also ordered one.
I'm not sure why I have preordered, neither. I already have a whole bunch of MIDI controllers and even a Helix Floor, but something in that small Morningstar device inevitably attracts my attention.

Arduino based device, isn't it?

Morningstar seems the most capable MIDI controllers right now. Only the visual part is still somewhat lacking to me, as there is no LEDs onboard but "blinking labels".

Perhaps future MC iterations finally includes some colorful LED rings, and then Morningstar will be universally acclaimed as the new king of MIDI controller makers (even if the main screen remains monochrome).

Was going to pre order, but wondering if there will be any US based distributors? $40 shipping is a bit steep
Come on man, we the spaniards don't even have direct shipping. I had to pay €399 shipping included thru a Spain based distributor, that its way more than your $340!

Last edited:

vlammie

Come on man, we the spaniards don't even have direct shipping. I had to pay €399 shipping included thru a Spain based distributor, that its way more than your $340!
That's because in Europe we pay 21% vat, which they don't in other parts of the world.
The good thing is that if you encounter an issue, your local dealer can help you and you don't need to pay shipping, import/export duties, etc.

Ed_Saxman

That's because in Europe we pay 21% vat, which they don't in other parts of the world.
The good thing is that if you encounter an issue, your local dealer can help you and you don't need to pay shipping, import/export duties, etc.
That's true, dude. Far better support (incluing healthcare) and just waiting comfortably at home for my MC8 to arrive! :aok

Ed_Saxman

You ordered from txirula?
Yes!
I’m fairly certain the MC6 is Teensy based.
Teensy? Really? Always thought teensy was some simplified arduino platform more oriented to USB rather than MIDI DIN.

A recent example of a Teensy device could be the australian Midistomp Six. An interesting machine with those fancy led rings that I love, but unfortunately it is USB only. The placement of the momentary switch also seems weird (upper-middle position would be the most logical choice to me)

https://midistomp.com/

Last edited:

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
Isn’t that always the way. I’m taking solace in the fact that if this is a bigger enclosure/MC8, I won’t even have room for it without a board upgrade or losing an existing pedal, neither of which I intend to entertain.

If there’s ever an MC6-sized model that does MIDI over TRS though, my MC6 MKII’ll be for sale immediately.
The quartz with a set of extension switches works for me.

Trending Topics