Morphing a band from "Democracy" to "Benign Dictatorship".....Possible?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I'm in for the sideman gig but I want to be musical director, too.:)
    The leader has to make sure every body does the homework, right?:cool:

2. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

We have two main people. The musical director and the business guy.

stratotastic likes this.
  3. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Bingo...

4. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Every team needs a leader (or two).... a band is no different

Now, if that leader truly becomes all-controlling & dictatorial, it’s only a matter of time before the other members will either push back or simply leave

OTOH, there are always band member that absolutely NEED to be pushed... sometimes in the extreme. In those cases, frankly, they basically forfeit the right to be treated fully diplomatically

5. lpnv59

lpnv59 Supporting Member

I find that if I pay people, they tend to do what I want. This rule doesn’t apply to just band dynamics BTW. Works the other way too. If someone is paying me, I’ll play what they want to hear, wherever and whenever.

ToneGrail and Gasp100 like this.
  6. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

:love:

7. stratotastic

How? Be better and smarter than everyone else. Or work harder.

8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

“Benign Dictator”
    [​IMG]

art_z likes this.
  9. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

Just remember a dictatorship begins with a dic.

10. D4V3?

D4V3? Member

There's a difference between being a dictator and a leader.

I'm just saying.

11. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Every band needs leadership. But...

12. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

I came up with the term "benelovant dictator" to describe my management philosophy at work. Democracy just doesn't work in some situations.

Bands often, but not always, benefit from one person being in charge. The trick is in making decisions that are in the best interest of the whole, not the individual.

amoodymule likes this.
  13. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Three models, I have observed and worked in

1) Benevolent dictator - Solo Artist (Daivd Bowie, John Melencamp) Best model IMO, but hard to pull off without paid players.
    2) Co-operative duo (Lennon/McCartney, Henley/Frey) - Duo needs to be on the same page or it fails.
    3) Democracy - always fails. Leaders and Slackers always show their true colors over time and resentments ensue.

ToneGrail, Laurence and NorCal_Val like this.
  14. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

This.

beanbass likes this.
  15. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I get together with a couple of guys a time or two each quarter. We want to get a band going but I seem to be the only one who pulls together a setlist and pulls everyone together. One of the guys shows up everytime but has zero drive. The other guy sometimes shows up but has issues with my setlist but doesn't offer much of his own. The dude is a VP at some well known company. We had this conflict two weeks ago. Still waiting to see if one of these guys has the wherewithal to get on the horn to schedule a jam. Unlikely it will ever happen until I do it.

Moral of the Story: Democracies don't work in a band situation.

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I think you meant "benevolent dictatorship"

lp_bruce and FiestaRed like this.
  17. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

He means non-malignant

NorCal_Val and Jon Silberman like this.
  18. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Democracy tends to not work in a band, especially when there are an even number of members. If a band is split 50/50 on an issue someone has to make a decision. BUT, the other side of it is if said leader never takes my opinion into consideration, it could build resentment. When I was a leader, I always told our band I would consider any & all input and would do what I thought was best for the band as a whole based on that....but sometimes immaturity of a member would whine when it didn't go their way...so sometimes you can't make everyone happy. Tough call as there weren't many players available in my area to replace a whiner but I did the best I could.

However, the best how to make the change after the fact would be an all cards on the table meeting and try to explain why there has to be a final decision maker and possibly a musical director. And if they don't see the need for something like that it may be time to replace some people or move on.

I had an interesting situation one time where we got double booked on the same day...so, at the very least, only one person should be booking the band, and dealing with contracts & deposits. You should have something in writing with deposits for one time events.

Good luck...running a band is sometimes like a dysfunctional family!

19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Is the goal to be famous, successful on a local level, to be fun, etc.? Because those are each very different things and groups that succeed in each probably function differently.

Democracy certainly doesn't always fail. It just takes the right guys with the right attitudes. My acoustic trio is pretty much a model of "equal say." We all pick songs, we all setup gigs, and in general the three of us need to be up for something (a song, a gig) or we don't do it. And that works very well for us because we like each other a lot, we tend to be on the same page in terms of goals/music, and we're all pretty easy going. We're also not looking to take over the world--we just want to play the places/festivals we want to play. And we've been successful with that and made pretty good money along the way.

And FWIW, most bands I've played in fall into a fourth category where the band has a defacto leader (or two) who relies on input and agreement from the rest of the band. One of my bands finally wound down last month after about ten years together (under two names) and we definitely had a leader. But everyone in the band had input and we really made decisions democratically (or rather, by consensus). And that band was successful enough to put out five records and play every venue/festival we wanted to play.

20. stratotastic

Unless all you care about is jamming in the basement or $100 a man crap gigs.