Morris Amps - owners

jamest364

Hi all

Newbie here, Just put down the money for a new Morris amp but I'm really indecisive as to what model to go for, any thoughts?

Will be mainly used in a blues environment so clean/mild breakup and hit with a clean boost is my requirements. The Mojo/Gcm 008 look the top contenders but he's doing a 15/18 combo which looks cool.

Any input would be very helpful as I'm in the UK and I struggle with youtube clips in terms of hearing characteristics in detail and trying one is obviously impossible.

Cheers guys!

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
I had a GCM - 008. Great amp. The "clean" is a Plexi style sound that almost has Vox characteristics to it. The gain channel is a 800 with more gain. Really cool amp.

The MOJO has been likened to an Express type amp. I've never been fortunate enough to play one though. Lots of gain and lots of mods as I understand it.

jamest364

Totally agree, great guy! I get lost sometimes in conversation with Glen, it's like there's no limit to what he can design and build and suddenly I want everything and lose track of only choosing one amp, but yes probably call him, just trying to find and bluesy players that use his amps for a little feedback, have you played many of his amps?

Cheers!

jamest364

I had a GCM - 008. Great amp. The "clean" is a Plexi style sound that almost has Vox characteristics to it. The gain channel is a 800 with more gain. Really cool amp.

The MOJO has been likened to an Express type amp. I've never been fortunate enough to play one though. Lots of gain and lots of mods as I understand it.

I started off with thinking the GCM 008 and switched to the Mojo, now he has a couple of combo's that look fun, the 15/18 a kind of mini mojo with EL84 and a cool looking perplex'd junior single ended class A

I will probably end up with a couple....

Thanks for your input

filmosound

Hi. Sorry a little late to the thread. I'll try not to be too opinionated in case you already made a decision on what model you are getting!

Just wanted to say I own a new (2016) 15/18 combo and older (2010) Classic head, and I have played the following....

Perplex'd Jr
GCM-008 & Perplex'd (new Perplex'd is AC & DC channel of 008 plus a separate clean ch with its own tone controls)
Grinder
Producer
MO-JO

Along with the models you mentioned (MO-JO, GCM-008, 15/18) I think you should also consider the Grinder. With the Grinder I don't think you'd be using your clean boost on the gain channel as it has 2 master volumes that you can footswitch between to get a solo boost. But you could use the clean boost on the clean channel to push it harder. The Grinder clean channel is more like a Fender BF sound and overall the amp is pretty forgiving (easy to play and sound good). The MO-JO is more like a VOX/Marshall and very articulate. MO-JO and Grinder are the most unique sounding, though still give you familiar sounds. The 008 and Perplex'd Jr are definitely for those wanting great Marshall style sounds from Plexi to hot-rodded 800's (as mentoned above). The 15/18 is not really a MO-JO Jr circuit-wise, but now that it was mentioned it is a lower powered amp that also sounds like a cross between a VOX and Marshall (especially with the V-Type speaker). If you got the GA-SC64 speaker with the 15/18 it makes it sound more like a Vox mixed with Fender/Ampeg.

Yeah, I'm a Morris amp nut.

PM me if you have more questions!

Last edited:

filmosound

This is blues through the Grinder showing a lot of sensitivity on the distortion channel...

And the 15/18 with the GA-SC64 speaker (again with the Whitfill 'T' Style)...

Last edited:

smv929

Ive only played the Mojo and it's a keeper. Just a well done amp that sits in the Marshall/vox hybrid sound. I originally wanted a Marshall sound, but when I tried it, I had to have it. You can switch between two modes, one the marshal/vox sound and another that's a little more blackface clean. This feature is very practical for managing gain or vol lume at gigs. This is one of the first amps where I have gone without an always-on OD pedal. You are still able to cut through a large band mix without a mid hump OD. I still use OD pedals, but you don't need one. (Disclaimer: I play blues, classic rock, funk, country, no metal.)

jamest364

Sorry I've been away working in Colombia so not had much time and completely missed these responses.

After all my indecisiveness I've gone for a custom design and would be interested in any thoughts/comments

40 watt 6l6 Gz34 - tweed style circuit - bassman/deluxe hybrid
1 x 12 - GA-SC64 speaker
reverb/effects loop
Morris Master volume
Hi/Lo Input

I'm aiming for something that can do similar to lazy j40 but with a master. The idea is to either use the low input as a pedal platform with the master out of the circuit or a high input to get some tweed/jtm45 grind and hit with a boost. I was originally thinking a 20 watt tweed deluxe but wanted the clean bass string thump for some funky/blues and pedal platform.

Really interested if anyone can suggest tweaks or suggestions to consider for this exciting project.

Cheers guys!

jamest364

Agreed, It's probably not far off, just in a combo and with a couple of different features. I'm thinking running stereo with that and either the 15/18 or the perplexd junior in a combo.

My new Whitfill Tele has just landed at my house in London and I'm not back from Colombia for 3 months....ouch!

dg87

I have a Muscle 30 and a Mojo and LOVE them! Really wish I could try his other ones as well.

Also, awesome customer service.

Uli Jon Blackmore

Silver Supporting Member
I sooo want a Perplex'd in 2018. I expect an extra 3 grand payment in June and will order one. I hope to talk to Greg as I really want to have a tweed "clean" and the most open, uncompressed, and grunty drive channels. I have the pristine clean Fender and polished (ala Friedman) Marshall Plexi drive tones covered already.

Rockstandard

Just found this discussion board and had to jump in. Lucky to get the "from scratch" Mo Jo that was built for Cliff at Destroyallguitars back when Glen was selling through him in the states (search Morris amps Facebook under Posts and type in "from scratch" - several pictures of the unique true point to point Glen did on this one back in July 2013). Also a lo-fi demo of this exact amp on the Morris amp website on Mo Jo amp page. This is the original single channel like the Joe Perry amp it is named after, special (read expensive) output transformer, NOS A&B carbon comp resistors plus many upgraded components. The internal wiring is a thing of beauty on its own. That said this little amp is a beast. Very loud and amazing harmonics / distortion with volume from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock on the 18 watt setting. Changed tubes to vintage NOS Mullards for the EL-34's and running gold pin Gold lions for the 12AX7's and rectifier. Using Analysis pro oval for instrument and speaker cables. Amp reminds me of my real 1969 JMP Plexi Marshall 50 watt crossed with my Wizard Rock Standard equipped with El-84 tubes. Musical and 6L6 sounding at barely cracked and clean volume. Using a Jack Briggs Apollo with Thro-bak MT-102B PAF's and upgraded pots and capacitors. Just got a Jack Briggs Ventura single coil, alnico 2 and alnico 3 Briggs PU's and a Sitka Spruce body - blues heaven. Last is a Metropoulos 1968 era True Replica Cabinet covered in same Western pattern vinyl as the head (Mojotone) loaded with an original 1967 T1221 Celestion Pre-Rola G12M, original 1970 T1221 Celestion Pre-Rola G12M from Joe Satriani and 2 early 1971 T1221 Celestion Pre-Rola G12M's that were re-coned by Halford Loudspeakers in Memphis TN (arguably the top speaker guy in the states). Called Glen when I first got amp a couple of years ago, he took time to give me the history and build details of this special amp. He was prompt to answer a couple of emails I sent him, even suggested the Cane grill cloth covering for the 4X12 Metro cab. Glen is truly rare among builders, willing to spend time and share information with me - it was great speaking with him and I learned a great deal. He even went so far as to share a value for this unique amp - though I have no thoughts of ever selling it.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom