Morris Guitars - 000 f-18 - is it a real guitar?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by seratone, Apr 12, 2015.

1. seratone

seratone Member

...or a throwaway student guitar

I'm thinking of jumping on an auction from a Pawn outlet in Texas on Ebay for a Morris 1973 000 F-18 for under $200.

I'm looking for an 000 guitar to string in Nashville tuning (or not, if the guitar is any good - Octave tuning can be pretty forgiving).

I've read the posts about these little Guitars and Morris Martin clones in General, but haven't found any specific on this model. I've played a later 80's Morris/Martin clone and was really impressed with it.

Does anyone have any experience with them (f-18's)? Are they a laminated top (does that matter?)....do they have a truss rod?

I like restoring small bodied guitars, until recently it's been older Japanese Takamine's...this would seem to contribute to that hobby at a much lower price point. Yahoo Auctions in Japan seems to be selling F-18's for about $100...and in auction in the US for $400...

I'm wondering if I'm going to get something shipped to Toronto from Texas that's just going to end up in the garbage.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

If you live in Toronto there must be lots of better candidates on craigslist or similar.

Truss rod, sure. Otherwise sort of a typical early 70s cheap MIJ import.All that is missing is the adjustable bridge. My advice is don't bother.

3. ciro22

ciro22 Member

i have a morris guitar f-18..you can add me on facebook..i will show you my guitar..ocir aidagam

4. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Only going on what I heard back in my music store days in the 1980s but the word was the then current Morris guitars were significantly better than the earlier instruments.