• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Moses Graphite Multi Scale Necks, Thoughts?

Ampegasaur

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...35266336.35266.158845657492574&type=1&theater

These look really interesting. I know multi-scale, baritones, and the like are not really big here on TGP, but knew with the broad user base, someone could give me some feedback. I have heard mixed things on their quality, but willing to give them a try for something unique. If this is not your cup of tea, or style, please defer your comments.

My luthier can build a body, and setting up a multi-scale will be no problem for him. The hard part is the neck, and I really want graphite, or a neck with carbon fiber inserts to keep shifting to a minimum. I travel a lot, and a neck that is not subject to the elements as much as wood is a must for me. I would also prefer 24 frets, if they will do it. Anybody have any experience with Moses guitar necks, and of their consistency of quality? Custom builds are long and expensive, and this could be a more affordable option for me.

Promit

Kinda sounds like it's a custom order that they're not going to build for just anybody? I have a multiscale 7 string that I'm quite fond of, but that's because it's helping to compensate for the tension on the bottom of the guitar. If I were going to do multiscale on a 6 I'd be looking at much shorter, perhaps 24.5-26 or something along those lines. I'm preferring somewhat more moderate tensions these days and my smallish hands benefit from shorter scales.

No experience with Moses, I am curious to hear more about them.

Ampegasaur

Kinda sounds like it's a custom order that they're not going to build for just anybody? I have a multiscale 7 string that I'm quite fond of, but that's because it's helping to compensate for the tension on the bottom of the guitar. If I were going to do multiscale on a 6 I'd be looking at much shorter, perhaps 24.5-26 or something along those lines. I'm preferring somewhat more moderate tensions these days and my smallish hands benefit from shorter scales.

No experience with Moses, I am curious to hear more about them.
The music I play requires lower tunings, and a longer scale. Not typical TGP fare. I am not sure which scale I will settle on. It would be a custom order, and they will do them for an upcharge. My concern is their quality control, attention to detail. I have heard mixed things, but hoping to get more people who have used their necks.

Chrome Dinette

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...35266336.35266.158845657492574&type=1&theater
Anybody have any experience with Moses guitar necks, and of their consistency of quality? Custom builds are long and expensive, and this could be a more affordable option for me.
I had a Moses necked late Music Yo era Steinberger and had no complaints about the neck. If I were to get another neck from them, I would get one with SS frets, but that's about the only thing I would want different.

Ampegasaur

I had a Moses necked late Music Yo era Steinberger and had no complaints about the neck. If I were to get another neck from them, I would get one with SS frets, but that's about the only thing I would want different.
I am all about stainless. My Suhrs have them, and what I prefer now.

Be.eM

Anybody else have a Moses? Thoughts?

I've got 8 guitars with Moses necks, some Music Yo era Steinbergers, and some with separately ordered aftermarket necks. I know there were rumors about quality issues (also during the late MY days), however, I've never experienced one. The necks are all as one could expect. They sometimes DID have some problems with delivering in time, delivering exactly what you specified, and - in such a case - with communication. But these were single incidents I've experienced, I don't think it's the rule.

Ampegasaur

I've got 8 guitars with Moses necks, some Music Yo era Steinbergers, and some with separately ordered aftermarket necks. I know there were rumors about quality issues (also during the late MY days), however, I've never experienced one. The necks are all as one could expect. They sometimes DID have some problems with delivering in time, delivering exactly what you specified, and - in such a case - with communication. But these were single incidents I've experienced, I don't think it's the rule.
Thanks Bernd.

dB

Silver Supporting Member
Just took a quick look at the Tele style necks. I'd love to try one, but those things are super thin... .78 to .83

Shane Sanders

They're really the only game in town for it, though you might be able to get something from Fibersonixx.

I've got two custom-ordered Steinberger-style necks, both fully scalloped with SS frets. There's nothing quite like a fiber composite neck. I love them. Moses headpieces are not the sexiest nor are they mounted with a lifetime of use in mind on my necks--this may have changed with their newest offerings. There is air between my headpieces and the neck at the contact points of the mount--and both of them are held on by only two or three of the four bolts because the others stripped out a bit (the socket thingy just spins, and thus the bolt isn't really getting torque any more). I have not had to repair this, yet, but it bothers me that $600-700 necks weren't fussed over more.

Moses didn't deliver on time with mine, but they only missed by a few months. The fretwork was not what I expected in terms of final details--certainly not as good as a lot of mid-level commercial work, but it was not a botched job by any means. Just not crowned with both aesthetics and precision in mind. Visually, they appeared to be overly planed in the upper frets, probably to correct imprecise fret installation. To be fair, mine were the first fully scalloped necks they had attempted and this was about 6 or 7 years ago. I think they've done many more since then.

Also, I've also owned around 5 Steinies that had Moses-made Music Yo era necks on them. Those were finished to a finer and more consistent end as far as fretwork was concerned.

They got the bolt pattern perfect. The necks mated with GM bodies just fine. This has been my experience with all their necks.

I sent them an email just before NAMM requesting information on a new order (as an individual not as a Gibson employee). Still haven't heard back from them and my inquiry was about possibly ordering between 5 and 25 necks for a project I'm working on. I'm chalking their lack of response up to being busy with NAMM and day-to-day work. But it concerns me that they don't want to address an order of that size more quickly. I've been looking elsewhere myself because my project really needs a fiber composite approach.

Hope that helps!

Eagle1

Potential but poor fit and finish , I have fitted ten or so and they where wildly inconstant .Once you have done the work they are totally stable and very good though but I would've prefered to buy them unfretted and only part rough finished.

Shane Sanders

Good to know. I wonder if they will make one with no frets, just slotted and ready for frets?
I'm almost certain they would. Please lemme know if you hear back from them. I'm on day 11 here with no response and have reached out to another company.

Chrome Dinette

I had asked them about a custom thing that I ended up not doing and they got back to me right away. In fact, they kept emailing me, asking of I was still interested.

Ampegasaur

I had asked them about a custom thing that I ended up not doing and they got back to me right away. In fact, they kept emailing me, asking of I was still interested.
I emailed them to see if they could do one slotted with no frets, since I want medium jumbo stainless, and my luthier does great fretwork. If they cannot, then asked what the cost would be if they installed the frets. I am not seeing on their site they use SS frets, so that is a concern. I would consider Jescar, but prefer stainless. I am now looking at a non multiscale headless 28 5/8 baritone, 24 fret neck before going multi-scale, to see if their stuff is good. Will be a lot cheaper, since that is a neck they are already tooled to make. I have strange tastes, so there not many options out there.

Chrome Dinette

I emailed them to see if they could do one slotted with no frets, since I want medium jumbo stainless, and my luthier does great fretwork. If they cannot, then asked what the cost would be if they installed the frets. I am not seeing on their site they use SS frets, so that is a concern. I would consider Jescar, but prefer stainless. I am now looking at a non multiscale headless 28 5/8 baritone, 24 fret neck before going multi-scale, to see if their stuff is good. Will be a lot cheaper, since that is a neck they are already tooled to make. I have strange tastes, so there not many options out there.

They definitely do stainless. I think that was part of my question to them. I can't remember what the upcharge was, but I don't remember it being unusual.

Shane Sanders

And Moses does stainless frets for sure. Both of the ones I ordered from them were SS. I think the upcharge was $150 but I may not be remembering that correctly. I looked for my original email and was unable to find it.

However, they do perform multi-scale work on some bass necks as per this page.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom