Mosferatu - 4 knob

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mojoman, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Just got a great deal on a "brand new" looking Mosferatu.
    So tell me what I am in for......good tones in this thing? How much gain is there on tap?
    Any settings of note?

Pretty excited to hear this, because I have heard such great things about Alfs creations.

JCM

2. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

The voice control on the Mosferatu allows to tweak the middle territory, excellent for a thick, rich articulate solo tone and pinch harmonics
    It's a very versatile, rich and dynamic overdrive

3. what?

what? Member

Eventhough Alf told me that this pedal is meant to be distortion, but I find it to excel in smooth OD sounds...with neck strat pups it just kills for solo, like fusion...robben ford, the thick tones I got just cuts right...awsome pedal, can be too thick for chording, but if you lower the gain this problem seems to be solved...it's quite tricky to set the voice and tone knobs as they affect each other...I normally set the tone at about 3.30 o'clock and voice at 2-3 o'clock depending on amps and EQ settings...

4. what?

what? Member

O BTW Alf was kind enough to do a custom inlay instead of mosferatu I put my girlfriend's name 'IRINA" and Alf wrote inside the casing one-of-a-kind custom "IRINA"...cool huh?hehehe

5. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah still one of my favorites - with the voice full up its stock Mosferatu..... then as you roll the voice down it pulls at the mids and the harmonic balance and affects the dynamics too ---
    This is the closest thing Ive found to the CJOD, voice down around 2-3 oclock as mentioned the voice is a little interactive so there is some dialing and tweeking time needed to flesh out the possibilities......

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

If I remember correctly DonneR, you liked the Mos4 better than the Zen, right?

I didn't know that when the Voice is dimed that it equates to a 3-knob Mos - interesting.

The MOS is pretty amazing with a very wide range. While I am still adusting to the boosted mids in both the Zen and Mos, I have to say again that they are doubly amazing stacked - relatively quiet too. How'd Alf do that?

7. Don Rusk

Yeah I had both the Zen and Mos , and the Mos4 covers the range of tones I used from both.....

I liked the Mos for that singing mid pushed solo sound and that fat chunky rock rhythym, but thats about it ... as you mentioned it has an intentional thickness, and part of the mosfet sound is also a slight 'dryness' for lack of a better term......thick sustain without the flatness of being overcompressed

and I really liked the Zen as a solo booster into another drive - pulling the gain way down on the Zen, almost what you would get with a dirty parametric eq.....

and like you said they stack wonderfully, since they both have that mosfet 'dryness' they never sound too muddy or saturated - it still cuts...... like using two tubescreamers cuts thru but looses too much definition from the extra compression...... the Mosfets dont have that problem...

the Mos4s voice knob on 10 starts at stock Mos (tho someone said thiers wasnt identical) and as you roll the knob down it pulls the saturation out of the upper mids which also changes the complexity of the distortion........

on the mos I always had to have the tone control above 3 oclock or it was just mud.......

with the voice control , after puling it down you can then get many more tones as the tone control is useful at lower settings ......... and these are more of whats found in the upper half of the Zendrive, but not identical.........( this is also where the CJODish tones are)

So if your happy with the Mos as is then thats great.... the voice knob just gives more options......

I would probably say if your happy with the Zen or the Mos and you want a second compatible drive then the Mos4 would be great choice.

8. seanc

seanc Member

my mosferatu is in the mail. cant wait. would mind getting a zen drive as a nice little boost. well thats the plan any way

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

While I have other, more "open" sounding od/distortion boxes, there's something about that Mos that I really like.

I just re-read DonneR's explanation of the Mos and Zen and it's spot-on. It's difficult to put sonic qualities into words - kinda like describing wine!

10. Don Rusk

thanks BK yes there are many parrallels between tone searching and consumables - and equally addictive !!!:BEER

I just this week put together a new guitar with a P90 voiced humbucker in the bridge and the M4 never sounded better !!!