mosferatu vs bb vs ocd

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cr8z4life, Jul 23, 2006.

1. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Ok, here is the question. I already have a BB and an OCD on my pedalboard.....both get use. The are different......the OCD is more open sounding less mids, more gritty with my divided by thirteens.....the BB cleans up better, more mids....a little more soupy. I actually like the BB better but the OCD is also pretty great. I just committed to a Hermida Mosferatu on the page.....how would this compare (or hopefully be a bit different) than these two............anyone tried all three?

2. erksin

erksin Member

Just the Mos and OCD - they're VERY different, IMO. The Mos is without a doubt, the smoothest OD I've ever had - killer harmonics and rich overtones. I wouldn't worry about overlap...

3. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

OK. So here's a question (to further the Mos vs OCD comparison).....does the Mos have the same amount of gain as the OCD? I also own a BB and an OCD and trying to figure out whether there's something else out there (like to Mosferatu) that might serve as a higher-gain pedal for my setup...(hope I didn't just hi-jack this one and if I did, my apologies) :)

4. erksin

erksin Member

The Mos and OCD had comparable gain levels, IIRC. Ever tried stacking the BB and OCD for more gain?

5. cr8z4life

Do they sound similar? If so I wont have need for both. I have tried both the BB and the OCD at the same time and in my opinion it is too much.....

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

I think the Mos is a bit smother in the higher gain settings but the OCD will cover the mid to lower gain range a little better.

7. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I did try and it was too much! Since the BB is a little compressed and I'm dealing with a v1 OCD (Serial # 124), I'm looking for something else.

I had played the BB before buying and was real pleased but when I used it over the weekend at a show, it didn't really do it for me.

8. cr8z4life

Hi One stop.....I find the BB a little compressed also but love the tone....if you mess with the tone knobs you can get some nice tones out of it! Also I find it more friendly to a strat.....the volume knob cleans up real nice! I think the OCD is a little more Humbucker friendly for rock......
    So I am finding I like both of them......will have to see how it goes with the Mosferatu

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

On the Mos4 v. BBPre front, I love both. But the nod for me goes to the BB, as the EQ is amazing, just like the RC is. Also, the BB seems to mix some portion of your clean signal back into the mix, so it has IMO a great clarity even when it compresses.

10. cr8z4life

Thanks for the info.......guess I will have to try the mos when it gets here and see......I was looking for a little different flavor than the bb and the ocd......I already have a zen drive, an ac boost, and a timmy....the zen and the timmy do a lighter smoother OD thing....I was hoping for something a little more dirty and thick

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey cr8z4life,
    Have you tried stacking? You've got some great pedals there and they are reported to be quite stackable.

12. cr8z4life

Yes......I like the OCD with the RC booster..... I like the BB with my Black Cat....the Timmy can stack with anything pretty much.

13. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

TheMosferatu has more compression than both those pedals. In fact, I had it in a string with 6 O/d's and it was the most compressed of them all. That is not a bad thing, mind you. I find the sound, for a lack of a better term; dry. But then it has an awesome way of presenting itself in a mix. In a band setting it would be the one to go to. I also had the three knob version. I did not find the pedal to be complex at all, very direct and a great sounding circuit. It is one to own.

14. cr8z4life

Sounds good.....If you had to pick a tone or band sound it reminds you of.....what would you say......

15. Traintrack

16. cr8z4life

Nice.....thanks for the clip. Looking foward to it arriving!!

17. Traintrack

Santa is bring mine by the house that if there is a 9 month delivery time for the newer version.

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't have an OCD or a BB but have had the Mos for a few months. The pedal it reminds me most of is the Barber Burn unit-similar very smooth, sustaining overdrive. I really like it-stacked it and a tubescreamer last week in church for a very flexible rig. I think you'll likely find a place for it, but it isn't a low gain/clean drive pedal at all...

19. cr8z4life

I already have lo gain pedals....I am hoping this one is a little thicker.

20. cr8z4life

Oh well. it came and I dont find it to be what I was looking for......it is too smooth for my taste.....it almost sounds like a more compressed zen drive (the Mosforatu). I was hoping for something with less smoothness and more bite....I'll give it a little more time at some volume and see if it stays or goes.