Mosferatu

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I was listening to the Mosferatu clips. Need highs and mids, but bass seem lacking. Anyone here used one of these? Is this the case?

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

If you're listening to the clip with the Dr Z amp I believe the tone control is set at about 3:00. If you roll the tone control back to 12:00 or lower it won't sound like it's lacking bass.

3. David-R

I've got both (4 knob versions). There probably is some overlap but there's room for both on my board. They are incredible pedals!

4. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I'm the guy who recorded the Maz Sr Mos clip. What you have to consider is I was playing a Anderson Tele, which was a fairly bright guitar, and I generally don't use a lot of deep bass in my clean because IMO it doesn't sit as well in the mix when recording or with a band. So if it sounds like it's lacking bass it's my fault, not the pedal. I love the mos and it's still one of my favorite pedals for a solo tone. I think it's too thick sounding for some rhythm work, but it gets a very fat and warm solo tone that stays defined and articulate at the same time.

5. Cary Chilton

Hey thanks guys! I am convinced. Is the 3 knob version as good as the 4 knob? FJS1962, Will the mosferatu cover the zen territory? I say this because I have a blue boy on its way and I can only afford one Hermida effect. What should I buy? I play everything from VH-jimi, sabbath, SRV, clapton, iron maiden, santana to journey to malmsteen to satriani. What would you fine folks recommend?

THanks

6. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I'd say it depends on what you want to use the pedal for. The Mos IMO is more of a one trick pedal, excellent for a thick, rich articulate solo tone. The Zen is more versatile, but doesn't have as much gain as the Mos. I use the Zen for dirty rhythm and cleaner solos, and the Mos for a thicker solo tone.

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

what fjs said. I have both, and agree. From your list, I'd say the Mos would cover more than the Zen, but I'd also consider saving up for both :D

jon

8. Cary Chilton

Is the regular mos I 3 knob just as good or not?

9. David-R

Nice job on the clip. That's what sold me on the Mos. :)

10. David-R

Thats exactly how I use my Zen and Mos. :dude

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

When I originally asked for the 4 Knob MOS it was to cover the Clay Jones territory and it does wonderfully , its the closest thing I have to the CJOD....

it also will cover most of the upper 2/3rds of the Zendrive and still do everything the mos does.....

Yes the 3 knob Mos is excellent and the 4 knob is excellenter ~ ; }

depending on how you use the Zen or Mos will determine how much overlap is there

if you use the lower end of the mos and the upper end of the Zen and the middle range of the CJOD, then there is some real overlap ;)

12. Bradders

Bradders Member

I am a new convert to the Mosferatu and LOVE IT! It gives me all the "hair" I need in spades for those over the top lead moments and thick dirty vamped chords etc. and more to boot.

I find it has tons of top and bottom end - but then again the most important factor for me PROIR to any gain or drive is that the amp you're using it with is going to be a BIG contributing factor to that, isn't it??

Frankly the only boost, drive pedals I've used that actually complimented the eq" settings on the amp were the Xotic AC and RC booster pedals. Both are great but not being a Tube-screamer kind of guy the AC booster went on its way some time ago.............still have the RC though.

So - I guess I'm saying don't throw OR buy a Mos ( or any drive pedal) thinking they're gonna give you tons of low end ( especially) in spades as they're not - get a great amp with an eq that works and then add these pedals and you'll not go far wrong.

2c for the sake of it :)

13. Cary Chilton

True any pedal will take away something from the amp- agree. I am buying a shiteload of pedals to find out which boost and Od's will take away the least! I am will to sacrafice a TINY amount of loss, for a certain sound for effect purposes AND/OR leads.
    Frankly, IMO my core tone (from my amp) is unqualled AT any volume (very important point), so all pedals are a bit of a disapointment.

14. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

First, this is are my first steps in this forum..so hello everybody!
    Just to say, I read and listened terrific reviews and samples about MOS.

So I deciden to purchase one, but I could not find it where to buy.
    Then I wrote to Alfonso Hermida asking that and explain I was in a hurry. He replied same day and sent my letter to Jeff from Tonefrenzy

I was running out of time because my nephew will go to USA next week, and returned to my country next october 21th

Next day I purchased the Mosferatu and received a letter from Jeff saying my pedal will be on the road ASAP (2 or 3 days)

So I would like to thank to Alf and Jeff. They became icons of simpathy, excellent attention, kindness and customer service.

What else could I ask as a customer?. HUGE THANKS

Now, waiting for my nephew return ...and ASAP I will do some recording for you:D