MOSFET Overdrive Tone...& how it relates to the Zendrive, the Fulldrive, and Dumble

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radcliff, Jul 3, 2006.

1. radcliff

radcliff Member

OK:

Is the Zendrive based off a Mosfet design, as the Mosferatu is? The Zen claims to have a very Dumble type overdrive.

The Fulltone MOSFET Fulldrive Anniv. also claims to have a Dumble type tone when the Mosfet part of the pedal is engaged.

Is the sound of a Mosfet a characteristic part of this Dumble overdrive tone? Is using a Mosfet just a convenient way to attain a tone very similar to the Dumble overdrive sound?

I do not have any schematics of the mentioned products, and deleted my old fake DUmble ones, because I felt that they were very off, and I had nothing to base them on.

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

IMO I can get the Mosferatu to get some dumblesque (zendrive-like) tones with the gain low and the tone around 3-4 oclock (I have a 3 knob mos)

3. drolling

drolling Member

Probably had one too many lattes this morning, but when I see the word 'Dumble', I start to mumble & grumble - an' then I wanna rumble..

How many of these amps could possibly be out there?? There're probably more CJODs in circulation than Howard Alexander's "Steel String Stranglers", or whatever this elusive model's actually called..

So those who refer to the benchmark *Dumble-esque* tone are basing their reference on what exactly? Personal experience?? Recorded examples??? Rarified O2??? (thin air)

When it comes right down to it, I can't imagine how much more different the tones of these well known players could be; Stevie Ray Vaughan? Larry Carlton?? Robben Ford??? And didn't Eric Johnson also record w/one of these amps??? Isn't this waay beyond apples & oranges??!

And as far as the Zendrive goes, I picked one up back when international orders took a couple of weeks to process, and I'm still trying to figure out what all the fuss's all about..

As I've picked up so much useful information on these pages, I'm still hoping to understand this phenomenon, which has consistently remained beyond my grasp:confused:...

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I belive most of the dumble like pedals are going for a Robben Ford/ Carlton type tone. I cant understand why you did not see that since you used one. It is definately there just as a TS-808 will get you an approximation of SRV's tone (as will a zendrive when dialed in appropriately). :D

5. radcliff

radcliff Member

No offense, but you have missed my point.

I am not starting up an arguement over whether or not these tones are desireable, but why designers are maybe using Mosfet designs to go after such tones. Tones that THEY feel are Dumble-esque.

True, this amp tone varies from player to player, but, just like SRV's tone changes or Robben Ford's tone changes, most can identify with a few core elements that characterize that tone.

Are other Mosfet pedals in a similar vein as the two mentioned?

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I had a Zendrive (sold it) and recently picked up a Zendrive 2. I've been comparing it with my V-Stack Tweedy and Blackstone Mosfet OD, and, using a NOS Telsa E83CC tube in the Z2, I can get tones very much like Ford and Carlton (and I've recently seen Ford 5 times in a few months, using his Dumble).

Interestingly enough, I can dial in the Tweedy and BMOD to sound virtually identical to the Z2. I'm actually appreciating the BMOD much more now in comparison, and it really does clean up fantastically.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

IIRC, the "lead" channel on the Dumble ODS is a mosfet gain stage into the clean channel of the amp, so a mosfet OD pedal should approximate that. I suspect that what people are saying is that a pedal gets a smooth, touch sensitive overdrive, not that it's voiced exactly like an individual Dumble (see the amp section and TAGs many posts for that argument).

8. raz

raz Member

See, you used the BAD word, radcliff. So you aren't getting an answer to your question. You're getting peripheral static.

GUYS!! HEY!! EVERYBODY!! Would somebody please answer the real question? Is the Zen a Mosfet design?

9. radcliff

radcliff Member

You're right.

But these pedals know the sound they're going after, the WORD they're going after. It's a word. It's a tone.

D*MBLE = MOSFET?

Interesting hypothesis. This might belong on a DIY forum, but I'm not interested in making something.

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

well for what its worth Ford and now Carlton both use a Zendrive... the Zendrive was an alternate - intermediate version of the Mosferatu....

From the ones Ive heard all the MOSfet drives have a certain dryness to them, especially in the initial attack - a smooth dynamic uncompressed 'dryness' which gives a connected to the amp dynamic control that I think may be where the Dumble comparison comes in......

I did an interview with Alf recently and its on www.pedalpost.com if you want to read a bit more :)

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

It depends on the Dumble tone you're thinking about. I've heard more than a few D's that I'd describe as buzzy or harsh but also some that do sound really smooth.

The mosfet devices tend to clip softer, so you have a smoother sounding overdrive. Plus the characteristic attack already mentioned.

OT, DonneR, that's a cool website.

12. n8b

n8b Member

The Fet input of a Dumble is a jfet stage, not a mosfet stage. Regarding the Fulldrive, you can use mosfets like clipping diodes in the feedback loop of an opamp, which I believe is what's going on in that pedal.