• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mosrite: coming soon from Japan?

BeeTL

TRADEMARK NECROMANCY!!!

Resurrecting old, cherished brands is a good (and cheap) way to establish a little "instant goodwill".

Of course, it can piss people off, too.

That said, it looks like we may have some MIJ Mosrites on the market soon...

JDutch

I, personally, think this is pretty cool. I've always liked the way these guitars look, but have never wanted to pay a lot for one. A Japanese version may be a good, affordable option.

Out of curiosity, how'd you find out about this? Do you work in the patent/trademark office?

tele118

This......is.....AWESOME NEWS!!

Although i can see purists being upset at this. I personally am really excited about this. :D

BeeTL

I, personally, think this is pretty cool. I've always liked the way these guitars look, but have never wanted to pay a lot for one. A Japanese version may be a good, affordable option.

Out of curiosity, how'd you find out about this? Do you work in the patent/trademark office?
I'm a bit of a guitar trademark nerd (search for threads started by me to see what I mean), so every once in a while I do a search to see what I can find.

This was what I came across today.
This......is.....AWESOME NEWS!!

Although i can see purists being upset at this. I personally am really excited about this. :D
I know, right?
Mosrites are being made new in the US right now by Semie's daughter.
Interesting...I didn't know that.

Maybe she has a "plan B" that involves an overseas partner...:dunno

If not, things could get ugly.

rich-96db

TRADEMARK NECROMANCY!!!

Resurrecting old, cherished brands is a good (and cheap) way to establish a little "instant goodwill".

Of course, it can piss people off, too.

That said, it looks like we may have some MIJ Mosrites on the market soon...
Fillmore has been selling into the US for years. A lot of the Mosrites Ed Roman was selling were actually made by Fillmore.

Here's a pic of my Fillmore Johnny Ramone Mosrite that I bought off of ebay in 2001 (it was actually ghost-built by Tokai in Japan and sold by Fillmore):

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
Exactly. There were actually three companies in Japan making Mosrite copies but I believe it was Fillmore that eventually got the rights to the name. They have been making these since the 80's and there have been ways to get them into the US most notably was the Ed Roman distribution. He even made some in his shop and labeled them Mosrite with permission from Fillmore.

The store that still sells them is Front Porch Music. I was also wrong about his daughter. She does hand wind the pickups and assemble them but the bodies and parts come from Fillmore.

ultradust

Mosrite news of any sort in 2012 is nonetheless wonderful news.

Will watch with eager anticipation.

That is pretty cool news. A Mosrite is one guitar that has always been on my wishlist, but I have yet to own one. There are a lot of very nice instruments coming out of Japan, it will be exciting to see what ends up materializing from this.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Coming soon?
here's a Japanese 2002 Mosrite [from My Rare Guitars]

I've been seeing excellent Japanese made Mosrites at guitar shows for decades.

Last edited:

WornFrets

Gold Supporting Member
Yep I thought this was common knowledge? I went to NAMM 2009 and the Mosrite booth was run by nice Japanese folks, and the guitars were all MIJ - and GREAT, mind you. I ended up buying an MIJ 2002 Ventures model a few weeks later and it was fantastic.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
You got one!! Ow!
I ogle 'em at their booth tables but just can't pull the trigger. Too fun.
I used to play a LP Blue Venture's bass thru the '70s. What a good looking body design Mosrites have.

BeeTL

Well...color me ignorant.

Since the registration was from June of 2012, I assumed it was news.

Nothing to see here folks, carry on...:)

The Dana Moseley (Semie's daughter) made Mosrites are cut/painted/fretted/finished in Japan. The Body is basswood. She makes the pickups, installs the electronics and does the final setup in the USA. I've never seen one, but for the money, it's a hard argument to buy her version over Hallmark's.

JBPhoto

I have ONE Mosrite that is being built in the USA.... MINE... haha.. I actually scored an original Mosrite Ventures model body from Semie's brother. It was one of the last ones he made in '91 or '92 at the Booneville, Arkansas factory. I got a neck from his daughter and so far all the other parts I have located are original USA Mosrite parts... pretty excited about the build. You can see more on my blog if you'd like http://www.mymosrite.blogspot.com

Trending Topics

Top Bottom