Most accurate Ram's Head clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyonthewall150, Feb 24, 2019.

1. mattpas

mattpas Silver Supporting Member

I just checked and I have just enough of the same exact, original, green, ceramic caps to make four.
    Fell free to e-mail me if you would like one.

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

The tone is in the shoes...

lefort_1, chankgeez and mattpas like this.
  3. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Here's a pic of the board from the original RH in the video

[​IMG]

4. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

An "Accurate Ram's Head" is not possible, I think. I have a real one, which I bought in the 70s, as well as maybe a dozen more modern variations. I also have a 70s Colorsound Supa Tonebender, which is more or less a Muff with one set of clipping diodes omitted.

I've A/B-ed my Ram's Head against others of the same generation, and there's always some considerable difference. All the modern variations I have are different, although some are different by design. Bottom line for me is to pick one you like, and ignore how "accurate" it is. Right now, what's on my board is a SUF Violet Menace.

5. DGrig

DGrig Member

I've heard nothing but good things about SUF's ram's heads but have never tried one. I have the Electronic Orange Pig's Hoof. It's dreamy, thick, and rich. I love that fuzz. It's staying forever.

6. 7thString

7thString Member

Is anyone else wondering when EHX will drop a Ram's Head Reissue since they've already redone almost all of the other iterations??

AXXA likes this.
  7. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

+1 best muff fuzz Ive ever had (and the only one that I still have)

chankgeez likes this.
  8. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

I have a big box Caprid and a Cornish P-1 and have been more than happy with these to get close to the original Big Muff tones. Can’t go wrong either way. I’m not sure about the small enclosure Caprid as I’ve never played one and the big box versions are no longer made.

dirtytony likes this.
  9. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

For years, the GGG-tuned Big Muff has been my flagship fuzz. That’s a very slightly tweaked VRH Muff.

10. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I could be totally wrong, but I believe EHX is fairly committed to their overseas production.
    Digging up a bunch of vintage transistors and ceramic caps**, sending them overseas, then releasing a small-batch build... it just doesn't fit their current business model.

Again, I could be totally wrong... but I don't ever expect to see a +50/-20% tolerance, through-hole-leaded, giant disc cap in an EHX product, ever again.

BITD, we had one instrument store who carried pedals, and they put ONE copy at a time in their display case.... a Muff, an LPB-1, etc. It was a small town in southern Oregon... maybe 15,000 people.
    If you wanted to buy one, you had to buy the one in the case. As far as you knew, there was only one in the shop and they'd just say that was the one for sale.
    They did that with all the pedal brands they carried.

7thString likes this.
  11. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I just fired up my normal suf violet rams head.

It was like an old friend. I didn’t want to play anything else. It stacks well with other drives. It has plenty of mids. It crushes. It sings. It punches and stings. Gorgeous.

12. Pierce103

Pierce103 Member

I bought a Vick Audio 73 Rams head on Pi Day.
    I got the rams head specifically to attempt some of The Wall sounds. Cant recommend it enough actually!

StratmanSteve and gtr777 like this.
  13. gtr777

gtr777 Member

I'm not a collector but I do have a Vick's Audio '73 Rams head as well and to me it has the mojo. Great sounding pedal!

StratmanSteve likes this.
  14. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

At the risk of sounding like some mamby-pamby cork sniffer, I’ll say that I have yet to find any modern clone that sounds just like a good vintage Muff. That said, the old Rams Heads were kind of all over the place in terms of quality and I’ve had to buy and sell a few in order to get one that I really like. The Russian Muffs seem to be a lot more consistent.

As far as “accuracy”, my choice would be the big box W&C Caprid. But to be honest, I’ve had Muff clones from SUF, Skreddy, Pete Cornish and W&C that sound better and clearer and more crushing than any of my vintage ones.

7thString likes this.
  15. _____

_____ Member

SUF makes the Astoria, from my memory its a clone of a very good rams head purported to been owned by a certain DG

Gallery and mattpas like this.
  16. mattpas

Thanks for the kind words.
    Glad you're still using and that you still like it.

17. mikem3133

mikem3133 Member

I have a few vintage rams heads and I also own a lot of SUF pedals. I couldn't be happier with it really.... My Vote goes too SUF.. I think its been said that no two vintage sound the same and id probably agree with that.. Go with what sounds best to you :) I know very cliche.. sorry..

mattpas likes this.
  18. mattpas

Thanks Mike.

19. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Matt,

It's VRH #25. I sold it a number of years ago for whatever reason. Then, I ran across it on reverb in Portugal. I probably overpaid, but I HAD to have it back. I'm really lucky I found it. It's the one I used in this demo.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    ciclosonico and mattpas like this.
  20. mattpas

The main reason that most similar Big Muffs don't sound the same is the variance in part values used back then.
    That's great that you found the same one.