• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Most bang for your buck pickups?

moltar

I'm assembling a maple neck parts-caster.

I don't have top dollar to spend so I'm looking for the best of the good rather than the best of the best most likely. I love wiring tricks (spin splits, phasing, parallel/series combos, other mods) to really get everything out of equipment many people overlook.

Creative ideas are welcome. What pups really blow you away for their costs? What's a quick way to get a huge variety on the cheap?

Funkwire

If you want to go super cheap, I've been happy with the overwound blowout set from GFS for $18.95.

michael30

Platinum Supporting Member
Look for used pickups in the emporium.

Toneriders are pretty good sounding budget PUs.

dazco

Yeah, a few people said the GFS sets like the Jimi set are good. at least one guy raved about them here. It doesn't get cheaper than GFS. Not even close. A set costs less than a single fralin or van zandt.

HandOfTheHost

+1 for the GFS pickups. I've put them in several guitars, both mine and others', and have had no problems. They sound great and don't cost much. I would personally stick with the vintage style ones. I imagine the Toneriders are of a similar quality, who knows maybe from the same Chinese factory...

bmetelits

About 7-8 years ago I ordered a set of three single coil GFS pickups for my Strat. The pickups sounded juvenile and the apparent quality (by visual observation) was mediocre at best. Yeah, they're cheap for a reason. I won't order from them again.

Inexpensive isn't always "cheap". In the late 90's I bought good quality pickups from Bill Lawrence at very reasonable prices.

oacikgoz

Silver Supporting Member
Bill Lawrence, they are too cheap and "good pickups for the money" is an understatement.. Some of the best in the market.

Calloway

Silver Supporting Member
While it did take some tweaking. I love my Mini Fat Humbuckers in my 65 Epi Riviera. The sound a little fatter than other Mini Hums I've heard and the neck pickup is exactly what I wanted in a mini. I'm sure I could have gone with Antiquity or Lollar and got something spectacular. For the money though, I'm more than impressed with GFS.

On a side note, I was at my buddy Aaron Henderson of Lowel Guitars house and was playing his beat to **** Tele. The pickups sounded amazing and I was convinced they were something like Antiquity. He said they were GFS and I was sold.

normal ninja

blastastick

BG pickups have gotten good reviews. I have not cared for the GFS I have played. Low cost really good pickups have been hard to find.

CitizenCain

While it did take some tweaking. I love my Mini Fat Humbuckers in my 65 Epi Riviera. The sound a little fatter than other Mini Hums I've heard and the neck pickup is exactly what I wanted in a mini. I'm sure I could have gone with Antiquity or Lollar and got something spectacular. For the money though, I'm more than impressed with GFS.
What sort of tweaking did you have to do? I've got a LP Pro Deluxe that has P90s in it that I'd like to try some minihummers in for a change of pace. I've got the Deluxe mounting rings and the metal plate at the bottom of the pickup routes is tapped for either minis or P90s.

I've heard mixed reviews on the GFS minis so have shied away from then until now. Do you have any clips of your Riv with them installed?

Tweedledee

GFS pickups can be hit or miss, but some of them are quite good. If your partscaster is a Tele, the GFS Tele pickups are probably the best pickups in the line across the board. I've used three different bridge pickups and one neck pickup and all were excellent.

Calloway

Silver Supporting Member
What sort of tweaking did you have to do? I've got a LP Pro Deluxe that has P90s in it that I'd like to try some minihummers in for a change of pace. I've got the Deluxe mounting rings and the metal plate at the bottom of the pickup routes is tapped for either minis or P90s.

I've heard mixed reviews on the GFS minis so have shied away from then until now. Do you have any clips of your Riv with them installed?
Unfortunately I don't have any clips with my Riviera yet. Hopefully that will change soon enough. As for the tweaking, it was really just getting the heights and pole pieces where I wanted them. Its really become one of my favorite guitars to play, and gets a bit more me time then my R6 Les Paul.

Trending Topics