1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Most Clean Headroom: Custom Vibrolux vs. 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stucker, May 18, 2011.

1. stucker

stucker Member

I know neither of these amps excel at clean headroom. However my lower back is shot and I don't want carry my Twin to rehearsals or small-to-medium club gigs anymore. The ~50 lb weights are perfect.

I have played both amps at rehearsals and really like them but never had the chance to compare them side by side. I am a clean style player and use pedals for my overdrive sounds. Thanks.

2. jota

jota Member

I have a DRRI that I think has a nice headroom for the volume I need.
    I know a pro guy that uses a Vibrolux and that thing just starts to distort at 4 on the volume! He uses a tele!
    You can hear the amp here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slozoe5aWb8
    Very chimy but not much headroom!
    My DRRI with the tele just starts to break up at 6 and I have it biased on the hot side!

3. stucker

stucker Member

When I used the Vibrolux I had the volume at 3.5 and it was clean and had a chimey character as you mentioned. Not really a blackface sound but very nice.

The Deluxe is more typical Fender blackface. My Twin's sweet spot is also around 5-6 (but very loud).

4. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

The DRRI has more clean headroom than the new vibrolux custom, I tried both and gig regularly with DRRI and it is excellent for classic rock & blues.