Most clean headroom

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I read the original post AND the thread title and still recommended a solid state amp. There isn't a great deal of specific detail in the OP so that leaves the field wide open for suggestions.

While the OP did mention power tube type preferences, he did not say the suggestions had to be limited to tube amps. The title of the tread is "Most clean headroom" so we took that seriously, and since no tube amp will produce the clean headroom of a similar-wattage solid state, those in the know will likely have suggestions that include SS amps.

You'd make a good lawyer.

Tone Meister

"Clean headroom for pedals" doesn't necessarily mean he needs and amp that stays clean at loud auditorium levels if he's playing mostly at home or small clubs.

But "Most clean headroom" certainly implies that. After all, he's playing a 50-watt amp now, so where do you go from there besides up?

Hotraman

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa Express 5:25
I think the tubes are EL 34. You can find them used at a great price.

dpgreek

I tried that and the rectoverb recently and maybe it's the cab size...but those Mesa Amps sound boxy. I like the MKV... that has a great clean too.

kdc113

Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb
Fender Twin Reverb
Mesa Boogie Mark series in general
Maybe a Mesa Preamp and SS power amp

Blue Strat

But "Most clean headroom" certainly implies that. After all, he's playing a 50-watt amp now, so where do you go from there besides up?

Ooops, missed his post after all the recommendations based an almost no information.

But is an EL84 amp with "50" in the name REALLY a 50 watt amp? ;)

I use a Mesa Boogie Mark III 1x12 combo for this exact purpose: maximum clean headroom in a 1x12 tube combo. Works great for that. I use it as a clean platform for pedals and also use it with just my archtop for jazz gigs, works great for whatever I throw at it, can fill any room with ease... Another good option might be an earlier Boogie Mark II 100 watt combo.

How do you move your combo around if you don't mind my asking? My Mark III weights a ton, and even with a cart it's difficult to maneuver into a car or up or down stairs, so it basically sits at home all the time.

harvey j

Yup. Or some other high powered solid state amp. That's the best choice for clean headroom. Just about all tube amps create some distortion. That's generally why so many guitarists favor them. But not all. If clean headroom is your thing, then I'd look to solid state. That's what many lap steel players do, and for good reason. Check out the Peavey Session 115. It's 500 watts of clean headroom!
look at the Peavey Nashville 1000 amp, the session is very heavy.

Last edited:

captaincanada

How do you move your combo around if you don't mind my asking? My Mark III weights a ton, and even with a cart it's difficult to maneuver into a car or up or down stairs, so it basically sits at home all the time.

Yeah it's a heavy amp for sure, mine lives in a rolling roadcase and I'm used to fitting it into my car (a Honda Element). On the rare occasion that I've had to lift it up stairs, I had a bandmate help me lift it. I am looking to get a Mark series head and 1x12 EV cabinet to use in situations where the roadcase doesn't help (like stairs and gravel parking lots).

Tony-Cliffton

Silver Supporting Member
That new soldano lucky 13 clean channel amp looks like something you should take a look at.

BlueRiff

I read the original post AND the thread title and still recommended a solid state amp. There isn't a great deal of specific detail in the OP so that leaves the field wide open for suggestions.

While the OP did mention power tube type preferences, he did not say the suggestions had to be limited to tube amps. The title of the tread is "Most clean headroom" so we took that seriously, and since no tube amp will produce the clean headroom of a similar-wattage solid state, those in the know will likely have suggestions that include SS amps.
Ok .. just don't let it happen again! Rule is if tubes mentioned anywhere in thread, a mention of SS is strictly prohibited!!:D

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
Budget would be helpful...

I am a guy who finds the traditional blackface fenders (Super Reverb, Vibrolux, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb) hard to dial in... "bright mid scooped" and "like a blanket over a bright mid scooped amp" are how I find most blackface Fender amps. , even though I tend to like how other players sound through them. I found the Rivera Venus Deux to be a nice "Fender-ish" alternative... it is a dual 6v6 design and 25 watts, not unlike a deluxe, but with a lot more flexible tone controls and the ability to dial it in and tweak it a little more precisely.

At 25 watts it is not massively loud but has nice headroom and was designed to sound good with pedals.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom