Most complete night practice solution?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Godspeed64, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Just wondering what options do you use to practice at night?
    I guess effects and dynamics are a priority for myself.

My rig consists of an AC15HW and a DSL50C, both of which I run slightly gritty. Problem is, it's a rig I can only fire up in the weekend for some stereo bliss. I come back too late on weekdays after work, and I don't dedicate much time anymore on the weekend to playing music.

What do you guys do to work with this? Is there any item out there that gives a complete evening experience?

I have a VOX amplug, which gives great semi-clean tones that I enjoy, but I don't have the luxury of a wide stereo soundstage.

I used to use a Zoom G3. I like that I can go from gritty VOX, to commanding Hiwatt cleans, to dirty Marshalls, easily. I get the full stereo projection, and a conjunction of Air, Early reflection, and Room reverb made it a realistic experience. I enjoyed this to the point I actually recorded an EP this way before, but overall I find that I was annoyed by the cables (power, instrument, earphones), and the enormous amount of ear fatigue experienced with minimal playing.

Just trying to discover the options available! Might go the G3 route again. Not looking for amps per se, unless the headphone out is the shiznit. Would preferably enjoy stereo options as well. Also not really looking for something that is priced too high as well! It's a compromise nonetheless, but I want to be able to attain the creative zone I require to write music which relies on dynamics and textural spaces.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. Xian Forbes

Xian Forbes Member

I just brought home a RP360. It's got all that jazz built in. And at $150 it's totally inexpensive. I wish I could tell you if it sounds any good, but I've spent the evening with the usb editor to learn how this thing works.

3. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Two Notes Torpedo Live. Best bit of kit I've bought. I can run my 25w Valvetone Vox or JTM style amps into the Torpedo Live and out to decent studio monitors or headphones. Perfect.

4. minty901

minty901 Member

i think zoom is your best bet tbh.

5. jota

jota Member

My favorite is Guitar rig!
    That's the only time I really practice guitar and I'm not just digging the sound and jammin' some non-sense!

6. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I wouldn't mind other options to try. Just YouTubed the Amplifi TT as an option too. I actually considered the Blackstar ID:Core 40 but that's just GAS speaking and in no way fulfills what I want lol

7. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

I play unplugged.
    Generally with my Strat. I find it makes my playing a lot cleaner when plugged in.

If I need to practice tone from pedals that need volume (ie boost/dirt response at band volumes) - it has to be done during the day. I do have a 10w clone of my Hiwatt that does an awesome job at low levels.

8. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

This gets my vote. I have the Studio model, but either way... an amazing piece of kit.

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I don't mind using my iPhone or iPad with JamUp app through an Apogee Jam interface. It does stereo effects but not stereo amps.
    It's not bad.

10. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Wow this got my interest peaked.

11. minty901

minty901 Member

Does anything else really have something to match Zoom's AIR effect? I haven't heard of anything else that can do that. That's the reason I think the Zoom is the best option for headphones. Can't imagine how it could be improved upon.

12. thecornman

thecornman Member

I use a Zoom G3 for this! Dont know what else to suggest.

13. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Supporting Member

I use an Axe FX II primarily for recording and late night practicing, etc. Plenty of cheaper solutions, however. I used to use a podxt and now have a pocket pod to throw in my guitar bag

14. insubordination

insubordination Member

I have a night/quiet practice setup that is more complex than anything else suggested (or, it just has more pieces), but that I consider pretty complete. I use a Frenzel FM-DP1 tube preamp into an ADA-GCS-3 with the speaker sim engaged, and run that into a mixer for additional EQ/master volume. The mixer is actually superfluous since the ADA has a headphone out that sounds fine, but the mixer sounds better with the additional tone-shaping possibilities, and a USB out in case I want to record anything. The ADA also has a pass-through so I can run the Frenzel into a power amp and cab if I want. I also have a reverb pedal between the Frenzel and the ADA for some ambience. I run whatever pedals I want into the front of it and I am pretty satisfied with the sounds I get, as are my neighbors who don't have to listen to me.

[​IMG]

I've since tidied up the routing on that, but you get the idea. I'm sure people will post "oh you could do _____" instead, but this works for me. The mixer was a gift, the Frenzel was used, and the others I bought new but it sounds better to me than any amp I would have bought for the same amount of money that I couldn't crank up at home, and wouldn't sound as good at low volumes. I've tried 5, 6, 12, 17, 30 and 50 watt amps (and JamUp on the Ipad) at home and this sounds best for my needs, and is the most versatile.

15. minty901

minty901 Member

My setup for headphones is:

Guitar > Tech21 Sansamp Blonde > Zoom ms70CDR (AIR) > Fiio E06 headphone amp > ATH m50x headphones.

16. Mnewman123

Mnewman123 Supporting Member

NYC Apartment dweller here - Swart Space Tone 6V6 SE with Swart Night-Light Jr. attenuator installed in the back of the amp has given me a lot of tonal flexibility at low volume levels. Itreally makes my swart amp a much more useful tool in our apartment (where I do most of my playing).

17. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

18. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I've never been happy with tube amp tones at low volumes, even with particularly low-wattage amps like my Mesa TA-15, so I pretty much gave up trying and now use a digital modeler for late night practices. I have a Line 6 Pod XT Pro, which is a fun piece of equipment. But even a regular Pod kidney bean is really useful for just noodling around and practicing without waking the rest of the family.

19. liordino

liordino Member