Most Depressing Song With An Upbeat Melody

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
While not at all a famous song, I wrote a song called “The Night I Killed Emily Warren”. It is a very happy and melodic sounding song...that chronicles the night one of my childhood best friends murdered his girlfriend.

NashSG

This is kinda Cheap Tricks thing that they were good at doing. It's kind of a part of their early sound.

Dream Police
Downed
Auf Wiedershen
Oh Candy
He's a Whore
Heaven Tonight
Elo Kiddies

Even on their poppy songs, the lyrics are usually kinda inverted at some point.

I'd say probably a big sonic influence on a lot of that west coast power pop/punk that came in the 90s. More than one of those bands covered "Surrender".

While it is in the movie, I think the theme to MASH is one that most people don't realize how dark the lyrics are to the tune as they don't know the title is "Suicide is Painless".

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Silver Supporting Member
Some of these are just sad or downer songs without really having upbeat accompanying music - Cat’s in the Cradle ain’t an upbeat tune with all those minor chords, sorry. Girlfriend in a Coma, though jokey, fits the bill much better. Big, resolved major key, bells in the arrangement and tons of la-la-las. That’s the ticket. So’s this: .

mr. moon

Jugband Blues (Pink Floyd): Most depressing to me as it documents Syd's departure from this plane of existence in a very profound, personal, and authentic way.

Gms

Silver Supporting Member
That “Last Christmas” by Wham/George Michael. It sounds like a cheery Xmas song, but it’s really just about spitefulness.

Trending Topics