Most Dynamic O/D?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by david henman, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

I've had the Sweet honey overdrive, OCD and the blackstone...and liked them in that order. I'd have to say the blackstone cleaned up the best, but I didn't like the nature of the overdrive. Bit buzzy for me. Love the sweet honey, cleans up betterthan the OCD and is less scooped.

2. Amplite

Amplite Member

Crunchbox (great pedal) did not clean up as well as other pedals for me.
    I've had good luck with OCD v3 or 4 -cleans up great with guitar volume and very versatile. I also like the Z Vex Box of Rock distortion - very amp like, not as smooth or versatile as the OCD but lots of character and harmonic content. BOR cleans up better than any other pedal I've used. Last I use a Zen Drive a lot! This pedal for some reason didn't impress me when playing in the house but live with the band (Classic Rock) I don't like to turn it off - very dynamic reacts to picking variations!

3. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Honey Bee
    Greer Ghetto Stomp
    Red Llama
    Sweet Honey OD

Those all seem to have the most clean up and grind depending on how hard you play.
    Sure Fuzz Face or Keeley Fuzz Head clean up to a good sparkle but that requires a roll back on the guitar volume pot, these others don't.

4. bsic

bsic Supporting Member

Honeybee is my favorite touch sensitive pedal. The sweet honey also rocks, and has more gain.

Check this demo out:

5. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

You can spend $400 on a very nice, high-end pedal, or you can get an OCD for $143.

I have owned many wonderful high-end pedals, including the great Kingsley Jouster and Jester. Most of those are gone (including the Jouster and Jester), but the OCD remains. If you really want one of the most dynamic overdrives around, you should give the OCD a try. Just my $143 worth...

6. bsic

bsic Supporting Member

I am not saying the OCD is a bad pedal for the price... but I dont find it to be top notch as far as touch sensitivity goes.

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Here is a picture for you. :)
    [​IMG]

To the OP,
    My vote for an amazingly dynamic OD is the Blackstone Appliance Overdrive.
    IMO when set up properly cleans up as good as some of the best GE fuzz pedals out there, and is very sensitive to pick nuances giving up a lot of shades and textures by touch alone. Also it cleans up to pristeen clean w/o losing volume by just nudging the guitars volume knob, even the Red channel cleans up great. IDK if it is"the most dynamic OD ever" but it sure is plenty dynamic and expressive for a solid state dirtbox. I think it would be worth your while to call Jon and take one for a test drive.
    http://www.blackstoneappliances.com/

8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

the BJFe Honeybee is well loved by many for exactly the characteristics you are looking for.

there are a LOt of really good OD pedals out there.

the Honeybee is one of a handful of truly GREAT ones.

it has a very nice "character" tonally, is VERY dynamic, and can make even a crappy solid state amp sound decent :stir

9. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

You said Overdrive so I didn't include a Fuzz Face on the list. But it works wonders with a tube amp that's about to break up!
    Just play with the volume knob and you have an array of tones available to you!

AnalogMan Sunface (standard option)
    MJM London Fuzz I/II

Actually the list of fuzz faces are pretty extensive; just depends on whether you want an Si or Ge version and what transistors to put inside. I personally use a Elite Tone Fuzz Monster that includes both Si/Ge..

10. ShaneV

ShaneV Member

I had the opportunity to play one of those once and I was quite impressed, plus it looks downright awesome! I like that it doesn't follow the traditional formula for enclosure design at all- good preview of what's under the hood, since it definitely seemed to have its own thing going without getting stuck in the usual overdrive rut.

11. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I dunno - I had a Blackstone and it didn't do it for me. Sounded boxy in my rig, but then it's very difficult to recommend an OD without knowing all the other factors. However I can say that I really loved the Sweet Honey and would still have it if it produced more low-end. It was just too toppy in me set-up and now either a Rockett Animal or Fetto does the same job for me but with a lot better full-range tone. The Animal sounds amazing with Fender amps, esp my tweeds, while the Fetto loves a Marshall. Depends on the guitar, too - the Fetto into a tweed with a Gretsch is a thing of beauty.

Ohterwise I'd say the Rockbox Boiling Point. Seems to work with a lot of guitars and pedals - might get a bit fuzzy in the bass with some guitars but sounds pretty darn fine with my 335.

All of the above clean up very well indeed in my rig. All are beautifully dynamic and I tend to use them with fairly low gain so that I can go from cleanish to dirt just through attack. I like the OCD but it doesn't have quite the character I like. Good pedal though.

12. darrelherbert

darrelherbert Member

Another vote for the OCD. Just works.

13. ElectricToneCult

ElectricToneCult Member

I recommended you the Landgraff. But my favorite right now are the Tim and the Pro Analog Dual Drive! Both pedals extremely touch sensitive and even more so at 12v. Also you can have three stages of gain with these pedals if you include your clean tone. I'm so addicted to two stage overdrives!